Turn on thread page Beta
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by clh_hilary)
    You're talking about MChem as if they are postgraduate taught masters. They only have one dissertation/research project, not two.
    Oh is it? I'm afraid I'm not entirely sure about all that, but I guess the main point is that true masters are the postgraduate ones and things like MChem. But MAs from ancient universities (whether the scottish 4 year course or conferred masters from Oxbridge) are 'false' masters equivalent to a BA.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asklepios)
    Oh is it? I'm afraid I'm not entirely sure about all that, but I guess the main point is that true masters are the postgraduate ones and things like MChem. But MAs from ancient universities (whether the scottish 4 year course or conferred masters from Oxbridge) are 'false' masters equivalent to a BA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, it's only got one. It's just an undergraduate degree taking four years to finish. The fact that it's called an 'integrated master's degree' shows that it's different from a master's degree, even though both are on level 7 on the scale (but the same goes to postgraduate certificates).

I don't exactly know what the content of the Scottish MAs are, especially comparing them to Scottish BAs; but if both the MAs and MChem/etc take four years to finish and only get one research project/dissertation, what would be the difference? If the argument is on the material, then people also say materials at Oxbridge are always harder anyway so the BAs-turn-MAs should be seen as the same.

It's very difficult to really judge how these qualifications hold.

To the average employer, s/he won't know the differences. A survey was done showing that most employers have no idea that the Oxbridge MAs take no extra studies to be granted.

To the student/graduate, on paper it is instead called a 'master', whether it's the Scottish/Oxbridge 'Master of Arts degree' or the Oxbridge 'Master of Biology' degree. It's perfectly legal and reasonable for them to claim that they hold a 'Master of Arts degree' because that's what's printed on the paper. But what's on the paper has little relevance to the reality when Oxford has something like a 'Bachelor of Civil Law' being an actual master's degree.

To universities, it's still difficult to tell. A master's degree is never a necessity for doctoral entry. And at the same time it's a lot more common in the sciences to get straight into a doctoral programme with a bachelor's degree anyway, so this would prove nothing. I don't know enough about that field to know if they make the distinction between all of these, but in my field, academic jobs ask for an undergraduate degree and a master's degree separately, and they also usually specified wanting a 'good' undergraduate degree (=2:2 I think) and either say 'distinction' or nothing for the master's. That's clear enough evidence for me they're not looking for an undergraduate/integrated master of any kind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    I know that but it seems some people diss Scottish MAs.
    I doubt this is possible, and if they do it is with profound ignorance. All the Scottish universities that award MA's are prestigious; Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen, St Andrew's. William the queens grandson and heir to the throne went to St Andrew's and would have been awarded an MA!!! These four universities are Scotland's oldest and awarding MAs is just a historical hangover in naming. There is no difference with a BA/BSc
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Crisdean)
    I doubt this is possible, and if they do it is with profound ignorance. All the Scottish universities that award MA's are prestigious; Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen, St Andrew's. William the queens grandson and heir to the throne went to St Andrew's and would have been awarded an MA!!! These four universities are Scotland's oldest and awarding MAs is just a historical hangover in naming. There is no difference with a BA/BSc
    I'll just note that this thread is nearly 2 years old, and I'm now at a Scottish uni and will be graduating with a MA in 2018.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.