Why are you against feminism? Watch

limetang
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Viridiana)
You see what you want to see. I am not saying men have it better in all aspects of life. I'm saying we shouldn't let people's sex define how we see them. It's feminists who say that men should be allowed paternal leave, or not be looked down upon for having a "feminine" job, or not be scorned for displaying their feelings publicly, or that men can be raped and shouldn't be laughed at for claiming that they were, or that they can, indeed, be victims of domestic violence and that they shouldn't be expected to just "deal with it" because they're men.

I don't believe in concepts like forced parity in the parliament or shoving women into prestigious business positions just so that there are some women on important meetings. I know that biologically, statistically, whatever, the average male will be more dominant and career-driven than the average female, and that the average female will be more likely to want to work with small kids or be a stay at home parent. Thus I would never expect nor want to live in a world where we force a situation where people are unhappy and unable to chase their dreams because we so desperately tried to make them fit their lifestyles into political correctness.

For me, however, feminism (or the general strive for equality) is about noticing that people are not ultimately defined by their sex. Sure, more blokes will be happy to pursue a military career and more will be able to physically withstand it. But there are physically weak men and there are pacifist men who wouldn't ever want to be soldiers - and there are some strong women who would be at their best in the military/police force etc. I don't like the fact that we are brought up to think that a woman has to be and certainly is weak, peaceful, delicate, brittle, compassionate, and a man is a warrior, a conqueror, a protector.

My definition of feminism is trying to decrease the hurtful differences in treatment based on one's sex. Sounds like equality to me.
But you have an inaccurate definition of Feminism. The word doesn't mean that, at least it doesn't anymore, it's definition has shifted as a result of what people called Feminists have done. The movement needs to be abandoned by everyone who genuinely wants to have equality.
zippity.doodah
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
1) "communism" was defined as the communal ownership of wealth and production. that doesn't mean communism in practice or in its advocacy will look anything like its definition. fo example, feminism may be given a dictionary definition of equality, "equality" is not a word that has one meaning - you could get equality through equal treatment amongst different outcomes, or you could get the very superficial and watered down form of equality that feminists often politically propose where women are given special privileges to make the outcomes equal, as opposed to the opportunities.
2) "fem"inism is already biased by definition - if "fem"inism is egalitarianism, then is "masculin"ism? if I call myself a masculinist, doe that make me just as likely to be in favour of equal rights? surely it should if "fem"inism is, so if "fem" an "masculin" are pointless prefixes, THEN WHY NOT SIMPLY CALL IT GENDER-EQUALITY?! why make it biased towards one gender over another?! I don't care if one is more traditional, it still makes 0 sense! feminism has become such a stupid doctrine because of this bull**** - there is power in language, and the language of "fem"inism suggests a narrative of women being more important
username1602603
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Can anyone address people's grievances with feminism without solely relying on arguments based on their own individual beliefs? The title is 'Why people are against feminism?', not why people are against angel2015/Viridiana/[insert other TSR user]'s stance on feminism.

We all know what it is meant to be; to put it simply many people are against feminism because it doesn't do what it says on the tin. So any arguments as to what the proverbial tin says are redundant.
Viridiana
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by limetang)
But you have an inaccurate definition of Feminism. The word doesn't mean that, at least it doesn't anymore, it's definition has shifted as a result of what people called Feminists have done. The movement needs to be abandoned by everyone who genuinely wants to have equality.
If you say so. Every person who belongs or feels a sense of belonging to a certain group has their own definition, it's just 'cooler' to focus on feminazis who are not for equality at all... If we focus on extremists or people who try to use a name, an idea, for their own benefit, to make themselves popular etc - we can in reality ridicule any chosen social group, political party etc.
limetang
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you say so. Every person who belongs or feels a sense of belonging to a certain group has their own definition, it's just 'cooler' to focus on feminazis who are not for equality at all... If we focus on extremists or people who try to use a name, an idea, for their own benefit, to make themselves popular etc - we can in reality ridicule any chosen social group, political party etc.
It's not just about the people on the fringes of it who have this passionate hatred for men. It's about some of your more mainstream people. Take Harriet Harman. She is deputy leader of the opposition (by no means some sort of luny on the fringe), She is reported to have said "it cannot be assumed that men are bound to be an asset to family life or that the presence of fathers in families is necessarily a means to social cohesion" She is a mainstream feminist.

I mean of course there are good sensible people in the Feminist movement, I don't doubt that for a second, and likewise I have no reason to doubt that you're one of them.

And while it's true that we can ridicule any given group, it seems to me that it's a tad too easy with Feminism (although I admit that's just my opinion).
Viridiana
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by limetang)
It's not just about the people on the fringes of it who have this passionate hatred for men. It's about some of your more mainstream people. Take Harriet Harman. She is deputy leader of the opposition (by no means some sort of luny on the fringe), She is reported to have said "it cannot be assumed that men are bound to be an asset to family life or that the presence of fathers in families is necessarily a means to social cohesion" She is a mainstream feminist.

I mean of course there are good sensible people in the Feminist movement, I don't doubt that for a second, and likewise I have no reason to doubt that you're one of them.

And while it's true that we can ridicule any given group, it seems to me that it's a tad too easy with Feminism (although I admit that's just my opinion).
Well... She sounds like a dumb feminist to me then, haha. I get what you mean, really, it's just that there are dumb people everywhere and I don't feel entitled to dismiss a set of ideas I believe to be right because of some people who crook them.

Sure, maybe I'd avoid some heated forum arguments if I started to call myself an egalitarian, an equalitarian, whichever. And I am for "all those equalities". Feminism for me is simply a term that narrows equality down to the part when you look from the sex/gender standpoint, discussing differences between genders, not, say, races or sexualities.
username1649843
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I believe in femini..... ne girls
Genocidal
Badges: 16
Report 4 years ago
I agree with feminism.

I firmly believe these gals need some strong male leadership!
queen-bee
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bittr n swt)
Because I don't want women to be superior. They want to be superior and oppress men. They don't care about us, only about their rights.

This is why I support mens right movement.
they have a whole menimism movement in Twitter bahaha
Smash Bandicoot
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The movement has been *******ised to make men lapdogs advocating the ****tiest double standards particularly in gender roled and social consequences of such, rather than solving the core problem itself. One wonders whether they even WANT to solve men's issues.

in for the himanitarians
holmes221
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
Shame there's so many idiots who can't see reason.
Smash Bandicoot
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think of the moderate sane femimists working behind the scenes as egalitarians/humanitarians
Smash Bandicoot
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by queen-bee)
they have a whole menimism movement in Twitter bahaha
Meninism is a facetious term used to legitimise the oppressive statement 'check your privilege'
queen-bee
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Smash Bandicoot)
Meninism is a facetious term used to legitimise the oppressive statement 'check your privilege'
Men are already privileged so I see no need for a new movement
Birkenhead
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Men are already privileged so I see no need for a new movement
Men aren't privileged, you just have a victim mentality.
queen-bee
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Birkenhead)
Men aren't privileged, you just have a victim mentality.
Look around you,in most parts of the world including the west,men are still securely in power
username1377964
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A movement should not be defined in a sentence of principle. A movement is defined not in words, but by the actions of the people involved
Birkenhead
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Look around you,in most parts of the world including the west,men are still securely in power
'In power' -what does this mean? If you are referring to positions at the top of politics and business, this is because men are overwhelmingly more present in these jobs because they overwhelmingly outnumber women in original applications. It has nothing to do with social prejudice against women. The only prejudice that still exists today is in favour of women and against men -for example, all-women shortlists in parliament which disallow men from standing for election in certain constituencies and thereby give women a patronising leg-up as if to suggest they aren't capable of winning a political election on their own.
OhdearLittleduck
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
everyone except crackpots, Ukippers and some old people (not necessarily mutually exclusive) wants equal rights for men and women.

feminists want something more, but there are so many brands of feminism that the word itself means little by itself
limetang
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Which would be a valid point except that it's not that men are in power, it's that those in power are men.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1623)
79.13%
Leave (428)
20.87%

Watched Threads