Too much content.
Fair Enough
PinkandBlue00
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ieatyou1)
I have narrowed it down to: Business Studies, Geography, History or RE. I need to pick 2 out of the 4.

I haven't studied business studies before and my school does Edexcel Business Studies. It initially didn't stand out to me but after reading into it I think I might enjoy it as something different, especially the coursework. However, I don't see myself opening a business of my own in the future.

For Geography, I had a couple bad teachers which really put me off it but recently I've taken a liking to it. My school does AQA Geography Spec A. I like physical geography better than human geography but human geography is alright too. The only reason I might not take it is because I dread doing the long writing coursework.

I've always liked History until recently where it just seems boring to me sometimes. I'm not sure what exam board my school does History with. What I like doing is learning about new events and seeing how some events cause other events like a timeline, but I've never liked doing the long essays, even though I'm good at them.

I've liked the ethical parts of RE. In my school we do AQA RE B, but only Unit 2 and Unit 3, which are all about ethics which I really like. However I don't enjoy too much learning about the stories of the bible and Jesus or stuff like that. I've always done well in RE and all the ethical topics.
Business studies - I think you should pick this seeing as you think you'd like it very much. Also, you seem to be very anxious about coursework so this one might be good for you however it is a 'soft' subject so you may need to take that into account.

Geography - Even though the coursework is long (don't worry i'm dreading it too when I come back from the residential trip in the summer!), but Geography exams are like a breeze. Plus, it is more interesting than History and you don't have to do those long essays during the exam. Trust me, I hate the history exams but love the subject. (I do both History and Geography).

Hope this helped
Weirdowithnoname
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think history is useful but also hard work so I would say take it
constantino_chr
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You probably haven't thought this far but do you know what A-Levels or degree you want to do?

History opens a lot of doors and Business is viewed as quite trivial in comparison, I'd recommend Economics instead (if you're academic, that is)
JuliaM1998
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
RE grade boundaries are supposed to be really high, all my friends who do it find it hard even though they're religious so I wouldn't necessarily advise it because an A* is like 95% or something.
Business Studies I don't know about but people have said the A levels a bit of a joke because its really easy so I presume the GCSE is too though maybe not.
I do History and Geography and they're quite a bit of work but History is so interesting and even though theres quite a bit to learn you don't actually really need to know dates, more just generally what happens and because its not boring its quite easy to remember, and Geography I personally don't like that much but most of my friends do.
constantino_chr
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Geography has really low grade boundaries and it's all about memory, I just memorized all the case studies and got 98% overall.

I'd also recommend doing Geography and History together because both great choices at A-Level, they get a lot more interesting
amalick1029
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do RS, AQA is so easy that it would be a shame if you get anything less than an A.
I'm in yr11 btw so I don't know if the course has changed at all (yr10 is ethics and morality, yr11 is philosophy and ultimate questions)

I'm doing history, at first only because my school wouldn't let me take ICT (didn't fit with timetable) but honestly its soooo interesting and while it's a lot of work (and im so bad at it ) it's worth it. But as my teacher says "If you don't have an interest, don't do that subject because someone who's not so good but passionate always comes out above people with no passion".

I heard business is easy too, easier than geog at least
em.d_4
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ieatyou1)
I have narrowed it down to: Business Studies, Geography, History or RE. I need to pick 2 out of the 4.

I haven't studied business studies before and my school does Edexcel Business Studies. It initially didn't stand out to me but after reading into it I think I might enjoy it as something different, especially the coursework. However, I don't see myself opening a business of my own in the future.

For Geography, I had a couple bad teachers which really put me off it but recently I've taken a liking to it. My school does AQA Geography Spec A. I like physical geography better than human geography but human geography is alright too. The only reason I might not take it is because I dread doing the long writing coursework.

I've always liked History until recently where it just seems boring to me sometimes. I'm not sure what exam board my school does History with. What I like doing is learning about new events and seeing how some events cause other events like a timeline, but I've never liked doing the long essays, even though I'm good at them.

I've liked the ethical parts of RE. In my school we do AQA RE B, but only Unit 2 and Unit 3, which are all about ethics which I really like. However I don't enjoy too much learning about the stories of the bible and Jesus or stuff like that. I've always done well in RE and all the ethical topics.
I'd say geography as it is easy yet respected at the same time. And then i'd do history i thoroughly enjoyed it it's very interesting and teaches you to write a semi acceptable essay plus it'd be the most respected subject of the ones left.
amalick1029
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JuliaM1998)
RE grade boundaries are supposed to be really high, all my friends who do it find it hard even though they're religious so I wouldn't necessarily advise it because an A* is like 95% or something.
RS grade boundaries are fine- around 82% is A* but it's so easy to get into high 90's as long as you refer to 2 religions and add in a philosopher
octoberrain
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Take history. I want to take up history in Sixth Form as I want to go on to study law at uni and I regret taking RS instead for GCSE. RS is okay, but if I could change now I would definitely go for history.
What are the main topics in the history course at your school?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (17)
94.44%
No (1)
5.56%

Watched Threads