The Student Room Group

SCITT/Schools Direct 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sophyla
It's the Yorkshire Three Counties Alliance - much excitement!! :smile:

Is that the SCITT? Which school did you get? I live in Barnsley and my secondary school is part of that alliance (Kirk Balk Community College). I'm moving permanently to Nottingham this year, but if I wasn't I would have definitely tried to get on that alliance. I know all the schools really well and my boyfriends mum is assistant head at one! :smile: Well done!
Reply 21
Original post by sarahlou_xx
Is that the SCITT? Which school did you get? I live in Barnsley and my secondary school is part of that alliance (Kirk Balk Community College). I'm moving permanently to Nottingham this year, but if I wasn't I would have definitely tried to get on that alliance. I know all the schools really well and my boyfriends mum is assistant head at one! :smile: Well done!

Yes! :smile: Oh that's so cool!! The leader hasn't placed me yet, but I figure I might be in Minsthorpe, I know they do my subject there anyway :tongue: It's a niche one to find!!

Thank you! :biggrin: It's just so exciting to get it sorted, I'm still waiting on one interview though, at the place which I wanted to go to in the first place, a SD scheme in Leeds, but we'll see!! :smile:
Original post by Sophyla
Yes! :smile: Oh that's so cool!! The leader hasn't placed me yet, but I figure I might be in Minsthorpe, I know they do my subject there anyway :tongue: It's a niche one to find!!

Thank you! :biggrin: It's just so exciting to get it sorted, I'm still waiting on one interview though, at the place which I wanted to go to in the first place, a SD scheme in Leeds, but we'll see!! :smile:

Yeah I was thinking about applying to teach Psychology but there was hardly anywhere in Nottingham doing it. It really is, I found out early December and it was SUCH a relief. I just need to get my skills tests done now. By the way, I'd give them a call about the enhancement test. I think that's for people who haven't got 50% of their degree in that subject :smile:
Reply 23
Yeah I was thinking about applying to teach Psychology but there was hardly anywhere in Nottingham doing it. It really is, I found out early December and it was SUCH a relief. I just need to get my skills tests done now. By the way, I'd give them a call about the enhancement test. I think that's for people who haven't got 50% of their degree in that subject :smile:

I know the feeling, there's hardly anywhere that does it full stop! I was having such a nightmare trying to find courses close to home for when I graduate and then suddenly three popped up at once! Just like magic :tongue:

Oooh, have you booked them? I did mine on the 23rd December, both in one day because I read you're stronger going into an interview with them under your belt - as it happens I'm not sure they even knew :tongue:

Yeah I emailed the woman who interviewed me/runs it - I just find it very strange because A) Not only have I studied Psychology, but I've taught it in a classroom as a module, B) I got excellent feedback on my lesson about my subject knowledge and C) I've got a degree in it! It would be such a waste of time to go over the things I've been studying for five years :tongue: But we'll see! :biggrin:
Nice to find this thread! I've accepted a conditional offer for Secondary English :smile: So excited to start! Also feel a bit like I'm going into the unknown, since there is a lot less about SD / SCITT online in comparison to the traditional university-led route.
Original post by Sophyla
I know the feeling, there's hardly anywhere that does it full stop! I was having such a nightmare trying to find courses close to home for when I graduate and then suddenly three popped up at once! Just like magic :tongue:

Oooh, have you booked them? I did mine on the 23rd December, both in one day because I read you're stronger going into an interview with them under your belt - as it happens I'm not sure they even knew :tongue:

Yeah I emailed the woman who interviewed me/runs it - I just find it very strange because A) Not only have I studied Psychology, but I've taught it in a classroom as a module, B) I got excellent feedback on my lesson about my subject knowledge and C) I've got a degree in it! It would be such a waste of time to go over the things I've been studying for five years :tongue: But we'll see! :biggrin:

I know, nightmare! I'd like to be an educational psychologist but I need two years experience of working with children before I can even apply for the doctorate. So I thought I'd get a teaching qualification while I'm at and then I've always got the option of changing my mind if I don't want to go back to uni.

I have them in February and quite looking forward to getting them done. I didn't even get asked about them thinking about it!

Yep, I think they must have copy and pasted the criteria into ucas or whatever and forgot to take that one out. It would be a complete waste of time for you!
Reply 26
Original post by iloveunicorns
Nice to find this thread! I've accepted a conditional offer for Secondary English :smile: So excited to start! Also feel a bit like I'm going into the unknown, since there is a lot less about SD / SCITT online in comparison to the traditional university-led route.

Congratulations! What programme is it? :smile: I feel like there is more about SD than SCITT - I knew almost nothing about it before I found the website, and even now I struggle to pinpoint the exact differences between a SCITT and SD... oops :colondollar:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sophyla
Congratulations! What programme is it? :smile: I feel like there is more about SD than SCITT - I knew almost nothing about it before I found the website, and even now I struggle to pinpoint the exact differences between a SKITT and SD... oops :colondollar:

Well I applied for a School Direct route in Greater Manchester with a PGCE accredited by the Uni of Manchester - but the institution always refers to the programme as 'within the SCITT schools' (?) Haha, so god knows what I'm actually doing! I think the two are pretty much the same - I basically applied to the lead school but can be distributed to any of the schools in the partnership (about 20), but they take your choice into account regarding where you want to go. And you do some training in the lead school (an all girls grammar) regardless of where you end up :smile:

I feel like SD / SCITT / whatever was such a better choice for me. Made so much more sense for me to go straight into the school and be treated like a member of staff day one rather than jump between uni and placements. But everyone is different! :smile:

Have you accepted a place yet or have any interviews?
Reply 28
I know, nightmare! I'd like to be an educational psychologist but I need two years experience of working with children before I can even apply for the doctorate. So I thought I'd get a teaching qualification while I'm at and then I've always got the option of changing my mind if I don't want to go back to uni.

I have them in February and quite looking forward to getting them done. I didn't even get asked about them thinking about it!

Yep, I think they must have copy and pasted the criteria into ucas or whatever and forgot to take that one out. It would be a complete waste of time for you!

Oh yeah! That would be so cool, I wanted to be a forensic psychologist for soooo long but after five years of desk studying I got so sick of it it was silly :tongue: So I thought I would inflict the studying on others :biggrin:
Plus if you decide you want more uni studying you get masters credits with most SD places, right? :smile: So it's easy to pick up a masters whilst your at it! Wooh!

I put it on my form that I had done them, but it didn't ask if I had passed or not :tongue: I should have taken the pass letters with me thinking about it, but I think it's all online, so they can just check it! I hope so anyway.

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping, I find the whole business very confusing.
Original post by Sophyla
Thank you :biggrin: My interview was yesterday and they offered me a place on the spot! I'm so excited :biggrin: :biggrin:

Oh my goodness!! That's awesome. Well done you x
I have an interview on Tuesday at Portsmouth SCITT. Any advise for me pls
Hi can anyone tell me what the test at interview are? i didnt know id have any.... waa im so stressed. my interview is for English SD salaried. Its at the school i work at so i feel so much pressure, HELP
thanks and well done every one!
Original post by jennyjones1009
Hi can anyone tell me what the test at interview are? i didnt know id have any.... waa im so stressed. my interview is for English SD salaried. Its at the school i work at so i feel so much pressure, HELP
thanks and well done every one!

Hi, I had an interview for English SD and it was literally a writing task about what makes a good teacher - super easy and it was just to double check you can write well. Which shouldn't be a problem for an English applicant :smile:

Where are you applying?
Hi,

I have an interview on Thursday for Primary Education (School Direct) with Learners First (in Rotherham) I have to deliver a teaching task as part of my interview, I only got the email on Friday asking me to come in so I have had little time to plan anything (I'm currently working full-time too) Any Ideas? or just words of support! haha :P

"The teaching task will consist of a starter activity based on mental and oral Maths or a SPAG/GHASP session, which you will deliver to a class of Year 5 Children. The task should last no longer than 20 minutes."

Also Good Luck Guys!!
Hay, It's in Kent Hartsdown tec, i work there now. i am dyslexic so i am panicking about the test. was there a maths one too?

thanks lovely
Jenny:smile:

Original post by iloveunicorns
Hi, I had an interview for English SD and it was literally a writing task about what makes a good teacher - super easy and it was just to double check you can write well. Which shouldn't be a problem for an English applicant :smile:

Where are you applying?
Reply 35
Hi there!

I have an interview for a School Direct course on Friday, and I'm expected to teach a class for 30 minutes... something I've never done before :s-smilie: Has anyone had a similar interview before and how did it go for you? I am assuming they aren't expecting anything amazing as I'm guessing most people will be fairly new to it too. I find out the topic I will be teaching tomorrow, fingers crossed it's something half decent.

Good luck to all those with interviews this week too!
Hay, It's in Kent Hartsdown tec, i work there now. i am dyslexic so i am panicking about the test. was there a maths one too?

thanks lovely

No maths one! I think you only get tested on maths for primary / maths pgces but I could be wrong. Have they not sent you a plan for the day? They sent me an itinerary with all the different tests and things to do for the day!
Original post by tashag93
Hi there!

I have an interview for a School Direct course on Friday, and I'm expected to teach a class for 30 minutes... something I've never done before :s-smilie: Has anyone had a similar interview before and how did it go for you? I am assuming they aren't expecting anything amazing as I'm guessing most people will be fairly new to it too. I find out the topic I will be teaching tomorrow, fingers crossed it's something half decent.

Good luck to all those with interviews this week too!

Hi!

Well done on getting an interview, I had one a couple ofweeks ago with SD and I was successful but I had to teach a 25 minute lesson but Iwouldn't worry about it, you just have to show that you have confidence andmine specifically said that they were looking for relationships andinteractions with the children rather than the lesson itself.
One thing that they really liked about mine was that I gavethem all stickers to write their names on, something which nobody else did. Idid it so that after every short activity I could get feedback from them asusually when you ask them for feedback nobody volunteers. In the interview Isaid it was useful to gauge progress as if you don't then you run the risk ofgetting the same people answering the same questions.
Try to do a couple of short activities rather than being'presentation' heavy - give them something to do and make sure that you includean objective or a 'big question' for them to keep referencing back to.
But most importantly I'd just say keep calm and act likeyou've always been doing it! Good luck.
Reply 38
Original post by Tegan006
Hi!

Well done on getting an interview, I had one a couple ofweeks ago with SD and I was successful but I had to teach a 25 minute lesson but Iwouldn't worry about it, you just have to show that you have confidence andmine specifically said that they were looking for relationships andinteractions with the children rather than the lesson itself.
One thing that they really liked about mine was that I gavethem all stickers to write their names on, something which nobody else did. Idid it so that after every short activity I could get feedback from them asusually when you ask them for feedback nobody volunteers. In the interview Isaid it was useful to gauge progress as if you don't then you run the risk ofgetting the same people answering the same questions.
Try to do a couple of short activities rather than being'presentation' heavy - give them something to do and make sure that you includean objective or a 'big question' for them to keep referencing back to.
But most importantly I'd just say keep calm and act likeyou've always been doing it! Good luck.

Thanks so much for the response! That's a great idea about the stickers, definitely think I'll try that. I don't want it to be a case of me asking them questions and no-one responding. Looks like I'll be one of those teachers that I used to hate at school who would always pick on people when they needed an answer... students hate it, but it does get results!

Anyone else who has tips, please post them. I know I won't be the only one who will benefit greatly from them. Thanks!!

thanks lovely

I have an interview on Tuesday too and I have been prep too . goodluck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending