The Student Room Group

VXR or ST?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sam Walters
How is the 350Z a hair dressers car?! Okay fair enough it needs a bit of beefing up. But a splitter a rear trim panel around the exhausts and a small spoiler instead of the standard ones they look the nuts. Think dark silver with black wheels, and all the other bits I mentioned in black too.

I know this guy who's a gay hairdresser and he owns a 350z with the exact cosmetic modifications you mentioned in your post. Do you by any chance own a 350z?
Original post by TheGhostz
I know this guy who's a gay hairdresser and he owns a 350z with the exact cosmetic modifications you mentioned in your post. Do you by any chance own a 350z?

Mans got decent taste in cars then. What does him being gay have anything to do with it?

I do not own a 350z.
Original post by Sam Walters
Mans got decent taste in cars then. What does him being gay have anything to do with it?

I do not own a 350z.

I was simply giving you a brief description of the average 350z owner.
Original post by TheGhostz
I was simply giving you a brief description of the average 350z owner.

So why is being gay used as a point of description? I struggle to see the relevance.
I'd say the TT is more of a hairdressers car than the 350z.
Reply 25

The vxr looks to be a good car on the surface but with all performance cars look carefully for previous accident damage by looking at panel gaps and evidence of welding, especially around the front end.
I would do a compression test on the engine and I guess its turbo charged, in which removing the big pipe off the turbo to check for oil leaking.

Generally look for signs of a hard life;
interior wear on the driver seat in relation to miles recorded,
condition of wheel
accident damage repair in the floor where the spare wheel goes
jack the wheels up and feel for excessive play
see how it accelerates in second gear and does it go into every gear cleanly
etc

Ideally take a mechanic friend or someone who knows about car.
Reply 26
Original post by ToastyCoke
I'd say the TT is more of a hairdressers car than the 350z.

Mini cooper
z4
Ford Ka Coupe
Original post by Walkaah
Mini cooper
z4
Ford Ka Coupe

Haha, I meant in the world of the turtle shell shaped cars.
Original post by Walkaah
Hi everyone,

I am currently in a bit of a tricky situation and would greatly appreciate your suggestions.

I am 18 and currently have a VW polo 1.4 that cost me around £1,500 (I got it a bit cheaper than usual) with 65,000 miles on the clock, it returns about
40mph and is an 03 plate.

I drive into work which takes about 1 hour every day, but the drive is not enjoyable as I don't have a powerful car. It does 0-60mph
in about 13 seconds which is pretty sluggish imo.

I've heard from a few people that VXR's and ST's are super fun to drive and that I would love it, however I can't afford those cars unless I bought it on finance. They are about 15k to buy, is it worth it?

I definitely want something more powerful as it would be great fun, and you're only young once!

My parents are saying its a bad idea (big surprise) however I am still yet to come to a decision.

I would like your guys opinion on this, I am going to uni in 3 years so wont use the car much whilst I'm there, so would it be worth buying
a new car?

Thank you and all replies I appreciate!

Hi,

I had a vw polo 1.4 for nearly 9 years, with the 75bhp lump, it returned about 40mpg, I decided to tune it up a bit , with a kn panel filter, powerchips remap and a full exhaust system. With all that it returned about 33mpg and gave me good acceleration 0-60 in 9.5sec, it was pretty decent but I got bored and bought a vw golf.

I suggest you sell it now that it doesn't have a lot of mileage, and buy a more powerful car like an ST, unless you want to keep it and drop a 1,6 lump in it and tune it up a bit. You must remember that if you tune it up then the sale price of it will drop, all the money you spend on mods goes away.
The golf I bought does 27mpg but I have it stock, I will not spend a penny in it as I want to save some money. it's 1.6 petrol.
the prices that you are talking about are for the new focus STand corsa vxr, im pretty sure you can get a corsa, or focus st on auto trader with decent mileage like 50-70k on clock and 06-10 plate for less then 7-8k
Original post by Johnpolo
Hi,

I had a vw polo 1.4 for nearly 9 years, with the 75bhp lump, it returned about 40mpg, I decided to tune it up a bit , with a kn panel filter, powerchips remap and a full exhaust system. With all that it returned about 33mpg and gave me good acceleration 0-60 in 9.5sec, it was pretty decent but I got bored and bought a vw golf.

I suggest you sell it now that it doesn't have a lot of mileage, and buy a more powerful car like an ST, unless you want to keep it and drop a 1,6 lump in it and tune it up a bit. You must remember that if you tune it up then the sale price of it will drop, all the money you spend on mods goes away.
The golf I bought does 27mpg but I have it stock, I will not spend a penny in it as I want to save some money. it's 1.6 petrol.

27mpg for a 1.6 Golf is pretty bad...

Even my old 1.4 polo with 100bhp used to get 45.

You must be tagging it!
Original post by danty
Your parents are wise.

I am 26 years old now, and have owned a few cars since passing my test aged 19 (Ford Fiesta 1.1, Hyundai Accent 1.3, Triumph Herald 1.3, and my current car - a Proton Satria Neo 1.6)

I bought my Proton on finance after the rear diff went on my Herald, and I didn't have the direct funds available to fix it - finance was my only option to get a car at that time, and I bought the Proton as it was the prettiest car I'd ever seen and the lure of that 115bhp was enough to seal the deal for me. My parents told me not to do it, but supported me when they saw my determination and my dad even arranged for a mechanical inspection on the car for me.

4 years on, I'm older and wiser and would never recommend taking finance on a loss. You'd be wiser borrowing to invest in something that will give you a return, rather than borrowing for a little fun. In my experience, that power gain is never enough - it leaves you always wanting for more and this will show well in a VXR or ST - they're both small-engined, average power lumps with poor fuel economy to boot, all in exchange for a few seconds shaven of your 0-60? Not worth it - especially for 15k.

I'd recommend looking at what you can sell your car for, and how much you can save in the time it takes to sell your car. Add it together, and use that as your budget for a used car. There are thousands of fast cars selling cheap because people get bored of them quickly. They realise the impracticality of a high-revving petrol drinker and move on to something more practical as a daily driver.

My dad has the old Audi A4, which is a 1.9 turbo diesel, and has 115bhp, yet his car does 60mpg, mine does 30mpg. Mine is faster to 20mph, his obliterates mine on 0-60 speeds though. He paid £1000 for his car. I paid (and am still paying) £9000 for mine.

Finance is a really bad idea, and your parents know this (either from experience or just being aware of what goes on) - a lot of dealers will set you up with a bad finance package because you're young and inexperienced.

If you're going to do it anyway, then seriously consider the car that you want. Bear in mind that you will have that car for the full finance period and at the end of it you will have a car worth around £8k. Remember that you will need to make every payment throughout the finance period. Loss of income through a sudden loss of job might make this difficult, and certainly if you're starting Uni at 21 you'll find that you have even less money available to you.

In summary: buy a cheaper car that's just as fast or faster with what you can afford now. You'll thank yourself in the long run.

~Matt

The lure of 115bhp? That's laughably pathetic. My current, and first car is a 2 litre turbo 200bhp. I hope when insurance comes down and I have more money to get something better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending