Do you re-wrap your presents and give it to someone else? Watch

LotusElise97
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I usually just re-wrap the nail varnish that I get each year and give it to someone else.
Either that or my sister!
CharmingCat
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think that happened with a present that I've received for Christmas... As it was such a great disappointment, why would I want to spread it to others? If I'm going to give a present, I will only do so for those that I care about - unwanted presents can either be exchanged, tossed into a pile to be sold on eBay or chucked in the bin!
kurofune
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Generally, I get really good gifts, and I'm not all that picky about what I get. But there are one or two presents I get for Christmas that I know I won't use because it's not my taste. However, I don't regift items I've received to close friends or immediate family.

When I do re-gift items, I tend to re-gift them to acquaintances/white elephant events/ secret santa. I tend to do those events at my school, so I don't really see the point in blowing 20 dollars on someone I barely know.
catsis
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If I never see you use something I gave you, I would never give you a present again. That's my policy.
meow13meow
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have only done this a few times when I have needed a last min present usually a box of chocs that have been unopened for someone that I don't know very well etc.

I have a friend who does this every year to me though and its a bit cringe because its the most random stuff like massive dangly earings I would never wear in a million years, hair curlers in no box, individual toiletries like wilkonsons facewipes, cleansers, hairspray, etc. I do not have the heart to say anything as she is a good friend but it is a bit too obvious sometimes.
stargirl63
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by catsis)
If I never see you use something I gave you, I would never give you a present again. That's my policy.
Can't you just buy a present they might actually like, rather than going cold turkey?

(Original post by meow13meow)
I have only done this a few times when I have needed a last min present usually a box of chocs that have been unopened for someone that I don't know very well etc.

I have a friend who does this every year to me though and its a bit cringe because its the most random stuff like massive dangly earings I would never wear in a million years, hair curlers in no box, individual toiletries like wilkonsons facewipes, cleansers, hairspray, etc. I do not have the heart to say anything as she is a good friend but it is a bit too obvious sometimes.
That's quite rude tbh
majatheaztec
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It depends. If its stuff that can be donated like clothes, I'd donate it. If it is a cosmetics or jewelry item, which is just not my taste, I give it away to friends. I don't rewrap it though. If they come over, I just say "Hey, I got this a while ago, and it's still new, but I don't think its my color. You can have it if you like." This only works with my friends, because I know this would be something they like/we trade items regularly.
catsis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by stargirl63)
Can't you just buy a present they might actually like, rather than going cold turkey?

I do. I get out of my way to find out what they like/need at the moment. I make an effort but if it's not appreciated I'm never bothering again.
stargirl63
Rep:
?
(Original post by catsis)
I do. I get out of my way to find out what they like/need at the moment. I make an effort but if it's not appreciated I'm never bothering again.
In that case I understand. If it is genuinely something they wanted or needed then great. However, as per my OP, if it is a generic gift i.e. bath salts or a random perfume, then surely you wouldn't still feel upset they didn't use it?
Precious Illusions
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I wouldn't ever do that tbh, seems kinda...harsh. I mean if someone bought me something thinking I'd like it and I just gave it away that'd be pretty hurtful.
SmallDuck
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No. I just leave them wrapped and then give them to other people.
catsis
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by stargirl63)
In that case I understand. If it is genuinely something they wanted or needed then great. However, as per my OP, if it is a generic gift i.e. bath salts or a random perfume, then surely you wouldn't still feel upset they didn't use it?

I don't give people that. Only my mum and that's because I know what perfume she likes. But yes, as there's no way to testify if they're using it, it's fine by me.
stargirl63
Rep:
?
(Original post by Precious Illusions)
I wouldn't ever do that tbh, seems kinda...harsh. I mean if someone bought me something thinking I'd like it and I just gave it away that'd be pretty hurtful.
You do realise you're not actually going around telling them..? What they don't know won't hurt them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (6)
16.67%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (17)
47.22%
Nope, not that interesting (13)
36.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise