• PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Welcome Squad
    I'm from the other side. As a trainee teacher I was advised on pupils with a history of self harm and they were given additional support through the pastoral team. There was also a great deal of parent/school communication to ensure the pupils were getting everything they needed from the school.

It's better than it was when I was at school when it was just pushed under the carpet and never spoken about. I imagine if the support my school had offered me was as good as the support offered by the academy I've just worked at then I'd have been a lot saner through my later teenage years/early twenties.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain to me why anyone would harm themselves? Like cutting arms?
    I never understood the point of doing it or the reasoning behind it, it's always intrigued me how and why people may decide to do so.
    This aint no troll, I'm just genuinely interested to hear as to why you'd cut yourself or harm in any other way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sydney02)
    Naww thanks :hugs:

Yeah, my mum doesn't get it either...just pretends it doesn't exist and refused to go to meetings with my counsellor in the past.

I hate it when people say its attention seeking though, people just come out with that when they know very little or nothing about self harm and it just adds to the misconceptions and stigma. :sigh:
    The sad thing is in strict Asian families like mine stuff like this is said to be embarrassing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Placeboo123)
    Can someone explain to me why anyone would harm themselves? Like cutting arms?
    I never understood the point of doing it or the reasoning behind it, it's always intrigued me how and why people may decide to do so.
    This aint no troll, I'm just genuinely interested to hear as to why you'd cut yourself or harm in any other way.
    People self harm to vent out their feelings of sadness and anger towards something. It's basically a cry for help. When I did it, I found it gave me a sense of control because I couldn't control whatever horrible things were going on in my life but I could control what I did to myself.

ReputationRep:
    As someone who has depression, anxiety, insomnia and regularly self harms - my school couldn't care less as long as I get the grades that make them look good. I'm with CAMHS (a mental health service), as are many people with 'issues' and my school's attitude is that if you are receiving help then you are okay.
    I remember when I first got diagnosed I was absolutely petrified. People branded me as having mental illnesses and because I've never really been educated on mental health in school I (and all my friends who have now left me) had no idea what to expect or how to cope with anything. If mental health was more spoken of (including self harming) I am positive that my experiences would be different and less painful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know, no.

No one talks about it, and if they do - they make jokes about mental health and self harming etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My school is actually quite decent about it, if teachers suspect you aren't being 'yourself' or you look really down they will offer you some sort of support, confidential if you want it. They even flag it up when it's one of the lower school students

I've never actually taken up anyone's offer on it but I know the support is there if I want it, There's a whole area in the school for people who want/need the support.

There are actually teachers who I can talk to on a completely personal level with e.g. relationships, religion and just stuff in general and I do but I never mention the self-harming just because I don't want to

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I self harm, and do not find that my school supports me well at all. When the school found out, I was pressured extensively to talk about it, and it was not xonfedetial at all. Some teachers wouldn't look me in the ey and that made me feel awful. Also, my school has no mental health support as there are no resources available eg posters with the childlone number around....there is not a proper counselor, and students are not told about the official school therapist. There is also o awareness days or people talking about mental health. The schools reaction to my self harm, which wasn't so dangerous, really proved that they need to get their act together and offer support even in little ways.

ReputationRep:
    My school were aware that I self harmed yet no support or advice was ever offered to me, other than "go and get a therapist". The pastoral care type team didn't tell any of my teachers that I was struggling so when my grades dropped it just looked like a lack of effort on my part. I just hope they've improved since I've left.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 14, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.