Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Appropriate age for child watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maid Marian)
    I don't believe there are 'appropriate ages' once you're 18+, only ideal ages which would most likely be when you've settled down with a job and a husband.

My mum had me at 40, I wouldn't want to be that old.

That's so grim. Having a baby at 11 just seems so wrong....
    Exactly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vixen47)
    Whenever you're ready? It's a cop out answer but it's true. I'm 20 and if the circumstances were right (good husband, financial stability, health of the kid, me weighing 15lbs less than I do now :mmm:) I'd be happy to have a kid as soon as I finish uni whereas my sister didn't feel ready at 27, which is when she had my nephew. She's in an excellent place financially, is incredibly responsible, she has a good marriage and a nice house with more than enough space for the kid, yet it's been almost 2 years since she had him and those particular circumstances haven't changed, yet still she feels insecure as a mother. Some people never feel ready, while some people feel ready at a really young age. It's more about your sort of "psychological age" than your actual​ age.
    Well um I think you definitely have to be financially ready. But to me 20 is ok but really not an appropriate age because you are not really that mature at that age.

As i've said about 25-30 is an appropriate age. My mum had me at 29 and my dad at 39 which is quite old to me.

ReputationRep:
    Age is subjective. I think it should be by the time you are happily married and financially and emotionally stable. If you happen to fill that criteria earlier or later than the average child-bearing age then so be it.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Maid Marian)
    That's so grim. Having a baby at 11 just seems so wrong....
    Indeed. You're still a child yourself at that age.

ReputationRep:
    The human body isn't politically correct. If you are a woman and feel that children are a big part in your future then you seriously need to start thinking about finding the right conditions and partner by the time you are 30. If having children isn't such a big deal for you then you can risk leaving it later. I'm all for equal rights so it actually pains me to say that but better than the heartbreak of "I wish I'd started sooner".

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.