Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should Draw Muhammad Day be banned? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Should we ban Draw Muhammad Day?
    yes
    17.19%
    no
    82.81%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippity.doodah)
    **** no - you don't negotiate with terrorists. you don't give them our freedom, you give them ideological humiliation, like these cartoons.
    Oh grow up. Everytime a government has come up against a terrorist group, eventually they started negotiating. You cant beat an ideology with guns, its not possible.

(Original post by viddy9)
    It shouldn't be banned, no - that takes away the right to freedom of expression.

I think any decent person would refrain from engaging in an action they know causes offence to a large number of people, though.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mojojojo101)
    Oh grow up. Everytime a government has come up against a terrorist group, eventually they started negotiating. You cant beat an ideology with guns, its not possible
    yes, and I'm saying that states/societies should never negotiate with terrorists. I'm prescribing, not describing. and you can't beat an ideology with guns"? what are you talking about? I'm not advocating war, I'm advocating defence

ReputationRep:
    It shouldn't be banned, no - that takes away the right to freedom of expression.

I think any decent person would refrain from engaging in an action they know causes offence to a large number of people, though.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippity.doodah)
    yes, and I'm saying that states/societies should never negotiate with terrorists. I'm prescribing, not describing. and you can't beat an ideology with guns"? what are you talking about? I'm not advocating war, I'm advocating defence
    If Thatcher hadn't started dialogue with the IRA Ireland would still be a battleground, people would still be dieing everyday to the conflict, both Irish and British combatants AND civilians.

Whether you attack or defend, your still in a war.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mojojojo101)
    If Thatcher hadn't started dialogue with the IRA Ireland would still be a battleground, people would still be dieing everyday to the conflict, both Irish and British combatants AND civilians.

Whether you attack or defend, your still in a war.
    and has this stopped terrorism in northern ireland? what did it do that specifically dampened the incentives of the terrorists?

ReputationRep:

What happens if those large number of people are wrong?

(Original post by SiminaM)
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    It's a terrible point!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    That doesn't mean it is okay to offend them.

But it is more easy to be mean and mock people than be civil and try to be reasonable or ignore them if you think they are wrong.
    Just because what you do is legal, it doesn't mean that something isn't hurting some people.
    I don't agree with their religion either, but I don't have a problem with it - it's their choice and I respect it since it doesn't affect me and I would never offend them for being muslim.

ReputationRep:
    Muslims of this thread, which of you are offended by this painting of Mohammed?

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Whether or not they're wrong is irrelevant to whether they feel psychological distress.

Imagine that one night, an alien prankster secretly implants electrodes into the brains of an entire country - let's say Britain. The next day, everyone in Britain discovers that pictures of salmon suddenly give them jolts of painful psychic distress. Every time they see a picture of a salmon, or they hear about someone photographing a salmon, or they even contemplate taking such a picture themselves, they get a feeling of wrongness that ruins their entire day.

I think most decent people would be willing to go to some trouble to avoid taking pictures of salmon if British people politely asked this favor of them. [And, even worse], if someone deliberately took lots of salmon photos and waved them in the Brits' faces, I think it would be fair to say they aren't a nice person.

ReputationRep:
    No, and I think South Park's 'Cartoon Wars' episodes explained why perfectly. Using fear to destroy freedom of speech is never the right answer and anyone who thinks it is is either a coward or a fascist.

ReputationRep:
    Whether or not they're wrong is irrelevant to whether they feel psychological distress.

Tasty

ReputationRep:

Tasty
    Well, would you go around posting these disgusting photographs of salmon even if you knew it would harm other people, in this case British people?!

ReputationRep:

Tasty
    Dayumn that actually looks nice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qari)
    Dayumn that actually looks nice
    I know ye. I'm hungry now lol

Well, would you go around posting these disgusting photographs of salmon even if you knew it would harm other people, in this case British people?!
    If said people created some kind of cult based around the idea of banning the depiction of the evil Salman to the point they kill someone for drawing a picture of it. Probably yes.

I'm quiote happy to insuklt british poeple as well. Anyway, what about British Muslims?

ReputationRep:
    Even if this day was banned, it wouldn't change anything. People would just start something else.
    I just ignore it, tbh I don't know anyone in person who partakes in this so if it wasn't for TSR and the news I wouldn't even know this day exists

ReputationRep:
    I know ye. I'm hungry now lol
    Haha same Only crap thing is it smells when you cook it

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.