Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

2015 Asian Cup watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Korea and Japan must be favourites to win?

Iran could be dark horses. They seem to be really solid defensively and they have some flare going forward.

ReputationRep:
    Let's goooooooo Japan.
    <3 <3 <3

ReputationRep:
    I've never seen much good from the Australian fans in general, though I've only seen bits of them over the decades. They remind me of pre-2008 England fans. Always expecting to win, 5-0. If they don't, the boos come, because everyone else is **** so we should be beating these plebs. Even boo the opposing team's anthem. No respect for the other team or their own.

(Original post by RD208)
    Korea and Japan must be favourites to win?

Iran could be dark horses. They seem to be really solid defensively and they have some flare going forward.
    They're not dark horses, they're the outright favourites, always have been.

Asia is really weak right now, all the teams did really bad at the World Cup, but only Iran left content knowing they were progressing massively under a manager with pedigree and common sense.

So Iran were favourites. Australia, Japan and South Korea also but only on name and expectation. We didn't really know where they were at competitively because they didn't need to qualify for the Asian Cup. Iran are the only team that look like winners from the past 4 years, all the rest have been poor.

Saudi Arabia were/are the dark horses. United Arab Emirates were/are the best long shot. Uzbekistan needed to find their form to be a possibility.

It's nice to see the likes of Iran get more respect, even if it was fickle at the World Cup. I still remember the World Cup when everyone was saying Argentina would beat them 6-0, clearly not knowing anything about how Iran were/are set up. The match played out exactly as expected by the knowledgable minority, minute for minute.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)

They're not dark horses, they're the outright favourites, always have been.

Asia is really weak right now, all the teams did really bad at the World Cup, but only Iran left content knowing they were progressing massively under a manager with pedigree and common sense.

So Iran were favourites. Australia, Japan and South Korea also but only on name and expectation. We didn't really know where they were at competitively because they didn't need to qualify for the Asian Cup. Iran are the only team that look like winners from the past 4 years, all the rest have been poor.

Saudi Arabia were/are the dark horses. United Arab Emirates were/are the best long shot. Uzbekistan needed to find their form to be a possibility.

It's nice to see the likes of Iran get more respect, even if it was fickle at the World Cup. I still remember the World Cup when everyone was saying Argentina would beat them 6-0, clearly not knowing anything about how Iran were/are set up. The match played out exactly as expected by the knowledgable minority, minute for minute.
    Really? Interesting. I would agree they have been performing best out of the Asian nations over the last couple of years.

I followed Iran through qualification for the world cup, and whilst they did not seem to be prolific, they rarely conceded. They just manage to get the job done, 1-0 or 2-0. They also have a good manager in Carlos Queiroz, which helps.

Iran managed a draw with Nigeria, who are AFCON champions, so perhaps they are underrated. I think generally African football is overrated and its a shame the AFCON gets a lot more attention (in the UK) than the Asian Cup.

ReputationRep:

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Broken leg for Lee Chung-Yong is bad news for Bolton. He's stalling on a new deal with it set to expire in the summer, and now they can't shift him in January and make money on him.

Rumours are he'll be heading to Palace on a free.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    No surprises so far then. One outside favourite had to go in the group of death and that was Saudi Arabia. Expect the Qatari manager to get sacked fast.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What a goal, Tim Cahill.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    That ****ing idiot Pooladi. Iran are famed for their (perhaps excessive) sporting behaviour, and this is why they take that route. **** around and you lose it for your country one way or another. Even if he got away with the dive and Iran won because of it and won the cup, it'd be a hollow victory, forever tainted by an asterisk with no proof they were the real champions.

Pooladi gets 100% of the blame for the loss, he's let everyone down. If he didn't fall over like most of the other pussies in the sport and been a man, Iran would've won.

ReputationRep:
    Both underdogs won this morning.

ReputationRep:
    Iran have lodged a complaint to FIFA because Iraq fielded an ineligible player. He was fired from his previous club (incidentally, Iranian) for doping. The decision on it will be revealed later today.

I'm not sure what the connotations are supposed to be, because why would a player getting fired stop him playing for his country now if he wasn't banned for a year or so? I think the complaint is that no one let FIFA know so they could ban him for a few years.

If this stands, then it's worth mentioning that he played against Jordan (and Japan), so the obligatory 3-0 punishment would mean Jordan should've been in the quarter finals.

However, rules for all competitions state: "Protests regarding the eligibility of players nominated for matches in the final competition shall be submitted in writing to the FIFA general secretariat no later than five days before the opening match".

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone going to watch South Korea vs. Australia final?

ReputationRep:
    Shame, could've been Australia vs Iran, now that would've been worth watching.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    At the crack of dawn, isn't it?

Fancy an Aussie win. They impressed me at the World Cup in a tough group, despite not achieving any results to speak of.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.