Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are you studying for education's sake, or is it just to get better career prospects? watch

• View Poll Results: Do you study for love, or as an investment? Explain your answer in thread
    Study for Love
    48.78%
    University is an investment
    47.56%
    Other
    3.66%

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Kadak)
    I'm studying for fulfillment , satisfaction, to realize my desired career (Tropical medicine), for my enjoyment, for the challenge, to make my parents and teachers proud and also the fact that apart from education, I don`t really have much things in my life e.g. no romantic relationships , I recently got fed up of gaming etc. I do have friends though, .
    That's awesome to hear that you're following your desired path and that it seems to be going well! I think that not having much going on allows you to focus more, I know that a relationship would take up more time that I have and that can always wait until after uni! Having friends is awesome though as they'll be your friends for life! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    I graduated in 2011 with a masters degree in engineering from Imperial. It was an investment. I wasn't passionate about the subject and at times it was a real struggle. As an investment, it has or more accurately, is paying off very nicely but I probably didn't have to take such a hard route.

I learned a lot of very valuable skills from my degree, skills that have allowed me to outperform early on in my career so with hindsight for me thats what uni was all about, almost like pre-career training. A last but very useful foray before I entered the real world. The actual degree content is not important for me. For example, I recently made a board presentation and my manager was very surprised how I was able to present so calmly and clearly. The thing is as part of my degree I had to deliver many presentations to professors who knew a lot more about the subject I was presenting on and were lot more passionate about it than I so presenting to the board felt familiar. Actually it was easier as I was now very passionate about what I was presenting in a way I never was at uni!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    As the title.

Are you passionate about your subject, or do you just see it as an investment?

The Telegraph are doing a feature on ‘studying for love’ for a supplement on going to university. They're looking for students to interview, so if you're interested, send me a PM! :woo:

Here are some things to think about:

Students are increasingly thinking of degrees as investments. But what about studying a subject purely because you're passionate about it and you want to become a better-educated person, rather than just to get a job?

Does anyone do this nowadays?

What are the rewards?

Can you actually get into a more prestigious university if you choose to study a more traditional, ‘academic’ subject?
    I would say I'm becoming more "passionate" about my subject as my course goes on. I had a summer job working in the tourism sector and based off that experience decided to go study tourism at uni. I don't really need the degree to get a job in that sector but it certainly won't hurt!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As a mature student I decided to study philosophy about a month before uni started. It's one of those subjects, I believe, that one needs to love to enable you to study it effectively. I am self employed working from home and partly I really wanted to get out of the house; to meet other like minded people no matter there age. I have been very lucky to get into my 1st choice uni and to have met a great bunch of people and to study something I've been in love with most of my life. I wake up now with a spring in my step, a reason for being. I have found that, what i thought were life long beliefs are now in question. Which is a good thing. Man should always question, to examine and re-examine their belief systems. As Socrates once said ' The unexamined life is not worth living'. Generally, as a species, we question too little and except to much. Maybe it's easier to accept what we're told, after all we've done it all our lives, first with our parents, our teachers, and as adults our politicians. To question all is a difficult path to follow, because if you come across a lie or untruth, morally we should share it, to attempt to wake people up but what right do we have to take people out of their comfortable reality by shining a light on something unsavoury without any knowledge to know what to do about it. Sorry I've waffled a bit. But basically I love what i do completely.

ReputationRep:
    both. my subject is languages and doing a degree would enable to get to fluency, at the same time, if i were to just 'teach myself' a language to fluency, it probably wouldn't be as impressive to employers

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone do this nowadays?
    Yeah,a lot in my hometown. I am from Singapore,lol. However,if you will to ask me generally,most people will tend to place career advancement as priority one so that they can have enough savings for the future,to do what they want in life.After all,finances are important and the cost of living is high. I definitely can assure you that,majority of the people who do study for education's sake,will have more likely come from the middle income background and higher.

What are the rewards?
    If one is set towards career prospects,it is inevitable they advance really fast in their careers,as they will do more means to rise in the career ladder.(generally fast-pace people) However,I cannot help to mention that the rewards may be short-lived. Some may find doing their jobs a chore after a longer period of time.One instance is the transition of a mid-life career in the 35s to 40s.I have heard lawyers getting so stressed up in their office job,that they left to set up confectionary stores such as selling Ice-cream to Home-made breads.

Can you actually get into a more prestigious university if you choose to study a more traditional, ‘academic’ subject?
    Definitely possible. That is a given,if you excel in the subject. There may be exceptions. For instance, if you take too many traditional subjects,you can ultimately jeopardise your admission to prestigous universities. This is mainly due to subject requirements to enter the specific courses instead. If you did not take Chemistry for instance,how are you going to study medicine? You need to have a basic foundation before progressing to a higher level.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a little bit of both for me. I love science and I genuinely could not imagine my life without it. However, I do see it as an investment a little bit because I probably would research it at my leisure if I knew it didn't have a good career prospectus. Money from a stable job is important to me; anything that wouldn't yield that, I would probably not pursue at a career level.

For instance when I was 19 I got offered a record deal but I declined because of science and its stable job promise.

ReputationRep:
    First degree I did: absolutely for the love of it. I studied Russian from scratch, just cos I love languages, vodka and Dostoevsky.

Second degree I'm now applying for: for the job! I want to be an occupational therapist, and to do that I need a degree in occupational therapy. However I'm still really looking forward to the course itself, as obviously it's going to involve a lot of learning and practising the skills and knowledge needed for the job.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.