Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Chelsea prepared to pay 200 million.. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeanlucpicard)
    It's more than the Metro, granted, they are mediocre sources, yet others such as Express are saying similar.
    It would cost £200mill AFTER tax cos barca would demand it.
    His wages would be £20mill a year AFTER tax so a five year deal would be around £180mill.
    The total cost of the deal would be above £400mill and chelsea do not make enough revenue as to afford that. Also Roman does not have as much money as he did before so the deal is not really possible. And this would breach FFP and they would get DQ'ed from the Champions League.
    Basically, Metro and Daily Mail are the worst sources. Only believe Sky Sports imo for transfer rumors cos almost all of them are correct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex2100x)
    It's Messi we are talking about here (best on the planet). I honestly don't think that FFP will influence anything.

And City and PSG spent a fair amount last summer.

Of course this isn't implying that I think this deal will go ahead.
    Chelsea have very little revenue to afford messi so FFP will cause them to not play in Champions League most likely if they get Messi. They will have to pay a fee for FFP and they cannot afford that hence the CL dq.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    Mourinho would still play Willian over him at RW.

Btw, Messi is easily worth his buyout clause. Lionel Messi isn't a once in a generation footballer. He's not even a once in a lifetime footballer. Lionel Messi's just, once.
    Best post you've made, ever. That second bit is summed it so well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bittr n swt)
    Never thought he would leave Barca but 200m wow....that's crazy.

He could be a flop, PL is different from LA liga
    hahahaha good one

ReputationRep:
    If Bale is worth £80 million then Messi is worth £200 million

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zander01)
    hahahaha good one
    I hope he flops

ReputationRep:
    I hope he flops
    He won't. Either because he'll never come or because the premier league really isn't that difficult to do well in

ReputationRep:
    He won't. Either because he'll never come or because the premier league really isn't that difficult to do well in
    That's what they all said about Fernando

ReputationRep:
    That's what they all said about Fernando
    Is that what they all said about Aguero, Silva, Sanchez, Costa, Michu etc etc?

ReputationRep:
    Is that what they all said about Aguero, Silva, Sanchez, Costa, Michu etc etc?
    No because they weren't at the form Torres was at. I never heard of aguero when he came to city.

ReputationRep:
    Never thought he would leave Barca but 200m wow....that's crazy.

He could be a flop, PL is different from LA liga
    Yeah I could imagine him struggling on a cold rainy night in Stoke. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lent6)
    Yeah I could imagine him struggling on a cold rainy night in Stoke. :rolleyes:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    No because they weren't at the form Torres was at. I never heard of aguero when he came to city.
    Costa wasn't at the form he was? Anyway Torres dominated at liverpool until his injury so how exactly does he prove your point about the league being difficult?

That just proves you don't watch la liga if you didn't know who he was...

ReputationRep:
    If you consider he earns £60million a year if he has a 3 year contract then you would expect them at least £180 million to but out his contract surely

ReputationRep:
    Yes.
    Best player in the world would get at least 50-60 goals a season if he came.

ReputationRep:
    Thread should be locked/deleted. Absolutely ridiculous to quote metro sources as an OP.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    So you knew all about how Torres played for Atletico, but you'd never heard of Aguero who was in the same team as him that year?

0/10, if you want to troll in this section you should see Jam or Zurich for some lessons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    So you knew all about how Torres played for Atletico, but you'd never heard of Aguero who was in the same team as him that year?

0/10, if you want to troll in this section you should see Jam or Zurich for some lessons.
    I was talking about Torres in Liverpool....

I'm not trolling just because my football knowledge may not be as good as yours.

Calm down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaiaphage)
    Why would buying Messi make Chelsea break FFP rules? According to (http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/f...-explained.php) they're allowed to make a loss of £35m over 3 years - seeing as they're currently making a profit and shirt sales alone would be incredible I think it would be fairly easy to stay within the rules without selling many players. Torres alone brought £60m in shirt sales in the first year, add that to the Champions League earnings (partly) due to his winning goal vs Barcelona and he gave them a huge profit (ignoring wages)!
    Signing messi would cost four times what it cost to sign Torres going by this article when you then factor in the fact that messi would be getting paid somewhere around 500k a week over those three years thats £278m excluding bonuses.

That figure for shirt sales likely includes the people who bought shirts and then got Torres printed on it, I would guess that a lot of those people would have bought shirts anyway so I doubt it would increase their revenue by £60m.

You can't expect to spend nearly £300m on a player and lose less than £35 especially when you consider they'd still probably sign more players over the next few years

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)

Second bit makes me lol.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 9, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.