Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I LIKE BAD B~#*£s that's my fu'@#~ problem.......

ReputationRep:
    I suffer from a condition known as 'being feck ugly' myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Pesto)
    Does anyone else think this is a strange thing to ask someone? I've been asked why I don't have a girlfriend a couple of times already this year, and I never really know what to say in response. It's as if, in many people's eyes, being in a relationship should be the default for human beings, and if you aren't in one you should have a reason or excuse for yourself.

I'm comfortable being single, but I can't help going on the defensive when somebody asks me why I am, even though I know sometimes it's said almost as a compliment. Does anyone else feel like this?
    because im ugly lol? thats the most popular reason

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Cos i'm too afraid of rejection and not good enough for most women it would seem. I'm also afraid of someone actually liking me because it means sharing my life and opening up myself to them.

Something that i can't do because they'll just leave me once they find out who i really am.
    That's also something I've never been terribly good at. I think it's because my father is very reserved in stereotypically English way, and I was the same for a long time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Pesto)
    Does anyone else think this is a strange thing to ask someone?
    I agree. All questions that have the effect "Why are you not..." are very bad questions (loaded questions) which some people would claim is devoid of meaning in the first place.

This reminds me of the time me and my friends were asked outside a foreign club "Why are you here?" which had us completely speechless. Til this day my answer to that moment in time is still something along the lines of "Why not? Why be anywhere? Why be nowhere?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RabidRabies)
    Most people do see it as a compliment as it's showing that their isn't anything too obvious (e.g personality/ looks) that would stop you being in a relationship. I totally see what you mean though, many do think everyone naturally wants a partner. :')
    I've been in relationships and I think I'm a nicer person when single XD
    That's interesting, why do you think that is?

And the other thing is, I do actually want a partner, I just think it's kind of strange to question someone on why they don't currently have one.

ReputationRep:
    I'm picky. Also not attractive but sshhh

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Cos i'm too afraid of rejection and not good enough for most women it would seem. I'm also afraid of someone actually liking me because it means sharing my life and opening up myself to them.

Something that i can't do because they'll just leave me once they find out who i really am.
    So long as you're not a serial killer you'll eventually find somebody understanding. If you are a serial killer.... yeeaahhhh you've got an issue.

ReputationRep:
    Because the person I like doesn't want a relationship :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Reluctance to approach girls/initiate things, and a lack of confidence probably

ReputationRep:
    single cuz the only guy id ever consider dating (who happens to be my best friend) isnt interested. looks like i'll be single for the rest of my life

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    because the last time I asked a girl out, she had just decided to go back out with her former boyfriend
    she said I waited a couple of days too long to ask her - which is why I'm never "waiting" ever again. lesson learned. that girl was crazy about me, but apparently she thought I didn't like her, so she tried to move on, and pretty much did with regards to this old boyfriend of hers

ReputationRep:
    I'm too fab to be in a relationship

I push people who like me away :/ idk

I'm single because anyone I've ever been attracted to or shown interest in either doesn't have any feelings for me back, or they don't like me as much as I like them so they're unwilling to give the commitment of a relationship. Sigh.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone referenced Natasha Bedingfield yet?

ReputationRep:
    I think it gets worse at you get older. Tick tock Bridget!

ReputationRep:
    "Mind your own ****ing business!" is what I say in my head.

"Dunno" is what comes out of my mouth whilst looking all sheepish and try to dance around the subject. Normally involves making up past girlfriend. :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zKlown)
    I'm ugly and socially awkward
    Ahh you sound pretty cool online bro. Try and act like you are online in real life, should help.

Be confident

ReputationRep:
    I'm single through choice. Not necessarily my choice.

My face

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 30, 2016
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.