Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harrykirkby)
    Hi all!

I'm a Kent student, half way through my first year, studying Computer Science w/ Year in Industry. If you have any questions about Canterbury, Kent, or anything about my course, please, ask away!

Happy to help!
    Were you the dude in the hl2 shirt? I'm terrible with names...

ReputationRep:
    Is it difficult to get high marks at kent?

ReputationRep:
    How balanced is the coursework and the written exams? My heart is set out to go to Kent and study CS next year so I eagerly await your reply!

ReputationRep:
    Hi.. I've gotten an offer to study masters in archi in kent.. and I just need to know.. hows the archi there? Is it more to written based work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aceyschmacey)
    Hi, sorry to add to the heap of questions, but I've also applied to study Computer Science (w/ Industrial Year) at Kent and thought this was a perfect thread.

I've got an interview in a few weeks and I don't know what to expect. Did you go through an interview too? If so, what was it like? Any advice?

What do you think is the best thing about this Computer Science course that distinguishes it from other courses? What have you learnt about so far? What made you choose Kent?

What was applying for accommodation and financial help, i.e. grants/bursaries, like for you? Any advice?

I've heard great things about the Uni and think I want to firm it but I'm also worried about the entry requirements for the course. I'm wondering if they'll still accept me if I missed, say, by just 1 grade for example?

Again, sorry for bombardment of questions...
    Sorry for the late reply!

With regards to the interview, mine was simply a day of speeches and then an interview at the end. The interview was moreso going through my personal statement and asking what I have done in the past, why I have done it and why I think this course is good for me.

Other than that, nothing scary really.

The course itself is very Java orientate. I have since left university, and am working full time, but if you fancy studying Java it is definitely the way to go.

Accommodation is easy to apply for, all my friends got it I believe. Grants, from Kent are automatically added to your accounts so no need to apply for them.

My offer for Kent was ABB, I got in on BBC (terrible year of A Levels last year nationwide), so you should be ok!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xenon7)
    Were you the dude in the hl2 shirt? I'm terrible with names...
    I wasn't, sorry

(Original post by skye218)
    Is it difficult to get high marks at kent?
    Not very difficult, as long as you put the time in.

(Original post by hassamba)
    How balanced is the coursework and the written exams? My heart is set out to go to Kent and study CS next year so I eagerly await your reply!
    For CS? Relatively split. Not many exams, you'll have one exam a week (which is open book/Google allowed), so that ones very easy. Other than that, every now and then.

ReputationRep:
    Would anybody happen to know a student studying events and experience design at Kent on Medway?

ReputationRep:
    Roughly how much were you paying for 2nd and 3rd year accommodation including bills?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thanks for the thread it's really useful. Is Kent what you expected it to be like and how often do people go clubbing? Do people usually go to the Canterbury clubs or does anyone go to London?

The thread is quite old and the user doesn't seem active, so I'll take these.

(Original post by jennibowderz)
    Roughly how much were you paying for 2nd and 3rd year accommodation including bills?
    It will vary and to some my estimates may seem cheap. I don't know what the typical rent is these days but a two or three years ago, I would say an average figure was between £300-550 including bills per month. There are some great deals out there though, especially off of independent landlords.

(Original post by Chev1)
    Hi, thanks for the thread it's really useful. Is Kent what you expected it to be like and how often do people go clubbing? Do people usually go to the Canterbury clubs or does anyone go to London?
    How often people go clubbing is pretty subjective, but you won't struggle to find events five out of seven nights a week (Sundays and Tuesdays are generally quieter). Most students stick in Canterbury, some will occasionally go to London or Maidstone but from my experience, it's not common at all.

ReputationRep:
    For freshers week, because ill be at Medwat, am i allowed to go to Canterbury to look there also?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K.stober)
    For freshers week, because ill be at Medwat, am i allowed to go to Canterbury to look there also?
    I was wondering the same thing I've heard that we should be able to go between both

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering are you allowed to have people staying over in your room ?

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

I'm looking at Kent as one of my options and was wandering what the overall campus and general accommodation is like?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazyjoesmith)
    I was wondering the same thing I've heard that we should be able to go between both
    That would be so cool so we get to meet the cabterbury students too.. i feel like im getting ready for my first day at school 😂😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Collinsino)
    Hiya,

I'm looking at Kent as one of my options and was wandering what the overall campus and general accommodation is like?

Thanks
    Which campus?

ReputationRep:
    Which campus?
    Canterbury

ReputationRep:
    That would be so cool so we get to meet the cabterbury students too.. i feel like im getting ready for my first day at school 😂😂
    Haha I can't wait till we start

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Collinsino)
    Canterbury
    Ahh sorry, i can only tell you about medway

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've applied for CS at Kent... Just curious as to why you have left university and have chosen to work instead? I'm just wondering if it was a personal decision or if it was due to the university/course itself? thanks

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.