Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you go travelling alone? watch

ReputationRep:
    I have enough money to do it but I don't think I would have the guts to do it - at least yet. What are you mean't do to do when you go for a meal?

ReputationRep:
    If you go and stay in a hostel, you'll most likely meet other people travelling alone and you can have a blast together! Another idea is to sign up to do volunteering, because loads of people do that alone, and so everyone there will be in the same boat
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by AntiLearner)
    Would you go on a city break or any other short trip by yourself if you had a few days spare?

I've been debating this as I have some time off. But I can't see myself enjoying it personally. Travelling for me has always been about sharing the experience with people. I like sightseeing with friends and discussing things. Conversation with people I know over dinner. Plus I am quite an anxious person, so I imagine I would feel a bit on edge throughout.
    I'd love to travel by myself, I too am a very anxious person but I've always envisioned myself travelling around Europe via public transport (SNCF, trains etc.) and staying in hostels for short amounts of time looking around cities and rural towns in Europe. I don't know why it appeals to me, it seems strange I guess!

If you can afford it, I'd say go for it! It'll be an experience — although I'd be pretty worried about my anxiety too.

ReputationRep:
    Hell ****ing yes!!

ReputationRep:
    Would you go on a city break or any other short trip by yourself if you had a few days spare?

I've been debating this as I have some time off. But I can't see myself enjoying it personally. Travelling for me has always been about sharing the experience with people. I like sightseeing with friends and discussing things. Conversation with people I know over dinner. Plus I am quite an anxious person, so I imagine I would feel a bit on edge throughout.
    I've always debated it as well but I think I would go if nobody was to go with me. Think how you'd feel at end of your life if you haven't seen our beautiful world!

ReputationRep:
    I went to the US on my own for two weeks. I'd decided that I wanted to go before going back to university and I had enough money... just. It was all done on a crazily low budget. We're talking about £1000, with that including return flights, accommodation, travel between two cities and spending money for two weeks.

It was one of the best things I've ever done. I met a lot of cool people and did things that I'd been wanting to do for many years. I'd recommend anybody to take the plunge and do it. I was slightly nervous about it all at first too, but after coming out the other end I felt a far more confident and independent person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Not a short break but I did go off travelling Australia alone. Just met people along the way and eventually lived/worked in Sydney with some of them for a few months.
    I did this too! :five: Australia is awesome to do alone, so very easy to meet so many new people and hang out with them. I also met my Scottish boyfriend in Australia, whom I've been with for almost two years now. Travelling alone FTW!

I would also do short city breaks alone, and have done a couple of times before. I'm a loner and hate relying on other people too much, so it's often just easier to do stuff by myself, as at least I can do everything I want when I want :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katinthehat)
    If you go and stay in a hostel, you'll most likely meet other people travelling alone and you can have a blast together! Another idea is to sign up to do volunteering, because loads of people do that alone, and so everyone there will be in the same boat
    I really want to go travelling, probably whilst volunteering before uni. No one else wants to go though :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Err yeah!

Thats the best way to travel, you do whatever the heck YOU want to do. And you'll find that with so much time to yourself you'll have a better experience.

You know when you have those really cool eye opening, life fulfilling moments. Yeah, those usually happen when you travel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frostyjoe)
    I have enough money to do it but I don't think I would have the guts to do it - at least yet. What are you mean't do to do when you go for a meal?
    I've eaten in restaurants by myself all the time. Doesn't feel weird to me at all, as I don't see why you need to chat to anyone while eating. If I want to occupy my mind a bit during the meal, I'll read a paper or browse on my phone :yep:

(Original post by Cll_ws)
    I went to the US on my own for two weeks. I'd decided that I wanted to go before going back to university and I had enough money... just. It was all done on a crazily low budget. We're talking about £1000, with that including return flights, accommodation, travel between two cities and spending money for two weeks.

It was one of the best things I've ever done. I met a lot of cool people and did things that I'd been wanting to do for many years. I'd recommend anybody to take the plunge and do it. I was slightly nervous about it all at first too, but after coming out the other end I felt a far more confident and independent person.
    Wow, sounds good! Where did you go, if you don't mind me asking?

I did summer camp work last year in the USA; the job wasn't for me, but I'd still like to return to the country for a holiday. If I could afford it this year that would be awesome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fletch17)
    I really want to go travelling, probably whilst volunteering before uni. No one else wants to go though :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well just go​! Don't live your life for other people There will be SO many people in the same situation! It gives you a story to tell once you get to uni, and you know what? Even if you do have a crap time, at least you had the balls to do it!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure, in theory I would like to but just to like the costa del sol in spain or Palma or on a cruise ship all inclusive but I'm not sure whether would be comfortable on own and too much hassle.

I would like to go on own maybe in the future I will get the confidence to.

ReputationRep:
    Doing it this year, can not wait!! Anyone wants to meet me in Germany...

ReputationRep:

Do It!

Travelling alone is more fun than you may think. When you travel alone, there is very little you 'must do', it's all about what you feel like doing that day. Want to sit at the pool and drink all day? do it! Want to spend the day walking around their town? do it! don't want to see the monument that every one and their mother visits? Don't!
    Most importantly, when you travel alone, your choice of destination is wide open.

Also, if you do get lonely, cozy up to the bar and start talking to people. hostels are great for this

I've been travelling solo for 9 years and visited 17 countries so far.

ReputationRep:
    Well if I don't get into uni, I'm off! Going to see how many places I can visit...listening to 'great escape' and I absolutely can't wait!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I would it sounds amazing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dani California)
    Doing it this year, can not wait!! Anyone wants to meet me in Germany...
    I'm going to Frankfurt this year

ReputationRep:
    Probably not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've been on a city break by myself and also interrailing by myself. Planning more trips this summer, I loved it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    I'm going to Frankfurt this year
    Cool! Ever been to Germany before?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.