The Student Room Group

I just hit my mother

Scroll to see replies

Original post by daisychain_
What you did wasn't right. What she did to you wasn't right either. But at the end of days she is still your mother and you shouldn't hit her, maybe just distance yourself from her when she makes you angry, or consider counselling :smile:

oh i wish i could neg this reply
What you did wasn't right. What she did to you wasn't right either. But at the end of days she is still your mother and you shouldn't hit her, maybe just distance yourself from her when she makes you angry, or consider counselling :smile:

How naive :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What?

Her mother is abusing her, no it is more akin to torture. Her mother deserves to go to prison for this type of behavior.
She's your mother so you shouldn't have hit her back no matter what - violence isn't ever the answer. You should just walk away and take time to calm down and look at what you did wrong to her make her react that way (not cleaning the kitchen) and make sure you do it when asked next time.

Cannot believe people would call the police on their own mother on here..

EDIT: There are also two sides to each coin; I highly doubt somebody would come up with the stuff your mum said without provocation in the first place. Maybe you said or did something else you forgot to mention on here?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Serpentine111
She's your mother so you shouldn't have hit her back no matter what - violence isn't ever the answer. You should just walk away and take time to calm down and look at what you did wrong to her make her react that way (not cleaning the kitchen) and make sure you do it when asked next time.

Cannot believe people would call the police on their own mother on here..

Assault and Child Abuse are both crimes. Both of which her mother has committed. She deserves prison time, it does not matter whether or not she is her mother. What her mother is doing is unjustifiable and abhorrent.

Do you think it is OK to abuse your children, leaving them with cuts and bruises?
Original post by DiddyDec
Assault and Child Abuse are both crimes. Both of which her mother has committed. She deserves prison time, it does not matter whether or not she is her mother. What her mother is doing is unjustifiable and abhorrent.

Do you think it is OK to abuse your children, leaving them with cuts and bruises?

Of course I don't condone it. I just don't see how it's justified hitting another person (more so your own mother) because they hit or verbally abused you.

Personally mum mother has slapped me many times as a form of discipline and I could never imagine hitting her back, never mind calling the police on her.

It sounds like her mother could be suffering from some sort of mental illness since I cannot believe someone could be so cruel to their own child. Since OP has mentioned she has anger issues, maybe she could get her to see a therapist?

It's all fine and dandy blaming the mother but I doubt she hit OP and showered her with abuse just for not cleaning the kitchen, as I said in previous post, there are two sides to each story and I'm 99% sure that the OP didn't remain silent whilst this incident happened as it so conveniently seems from her post.
Original post by SuperWolfPaws

I wish I could neg your face
If I were in such a situation, I would rather be put in care than deal with a physically and emotionally abusive family member.

OP, you need to do what's best for your health. This is not something a normal person would do, and you had every right to lash out yourself. Who gives a damn if they're your mother? She doesn't even justify being called a human being for the way in which you have been treated.
Is there any one you can talk to? A teacher? A Grandparent/Auntie/Uncle? They could be options. Most schools have some sort of counsellor who is trained to deal with these issues. A school nurse, could probably work also. Other than that, maybe a GP could be an idea, since you have suggested that your mothers actions have led to suicide attempts, I wouldn't exactly call that an over-reaction, as your mother's actions have had a very negative impact on your mental, and probably physical, health.

Teachers and GPs are professionals, and would at least be able to point you in the direction of help.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Serpentine111
Of course I don't condone it. I just don't see how it's justified hitting another person (more so your own mother) because they hit or verbally abused you.

Personally mum mother has slapped me many times as a form of discipline and I could never imagine hitting her back, never mind calling the police on her.

It sounds like her mother could be suffering from some sort of mental illness since I cannot believe someone could be so cruel to their own child. Since OP has mentioned she has anger issues, maybe she could get her to see a therapist?

It's all fine and dandy blaming the mother but I doubt she hit OP and showered her with abuse just for not cleaning the kitchen, as I said in previous post, there are two sides to each story and I'm 99% sure that the OP didn't remain silent whilst this incident happened as it so conveniently seems from her post.

A crime is still a crime. It doesn't matter whether you have mental health problems or not. If you are dangerous which her mother clearly is, she needs to be imprisoned or sectioned.

You may not want to believe that parents can be that cruel to their own child, but it does happen. That is why we have organisations such as the NSPCC to try and help those who cannot help themselves.

We only have one side of the story which we should take very seriously indeed. The police should be involved in something this serious, it does not matter if you think this is a family matter.
Can't believe nobody has told the OP to call Childline for advice. 0800 1111. Do it now.

And the advice above about trying to see whether there is a relative you could live with is also very good.

OP, this is a serious and dangerous situation. You are in physical danger and you are also being psychologically abused. You must act, and you must speak to someone that you trust. Don't delay.
Reply 31
Make a point of giving her regular beatings, all the while reminding her that it'll be so much easier to abuse her, when she's old and frail.

Let her walk in on you pressing lit cigarettes onto your feet, when she asks what you are doing, just tell her you're testing to see how it'll feel when you do it to her.
Original post by HelenTheCupcake
Im just afraid ill be put into care :frown: or that she will be put in jail.

I dont feel safe, shes tried to cut my hair off before cause i talked back, and pinned me down and tried to cut it all off, but i escaped and ran off.

I feel so alone, my family think im a horrible person, and dont even know what she said to me, but they do know she has beaten me up multiple times, but they say its normal, and that i overreact about it. No, it hurts, she leaves bruises and cuts, has anyone ever experienced this with their mothers? Am i being dramtic? I feel like its my fault, well, it is, i just wanna be happy, id do anything to have a normal life, but i dunno if its normal or not

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, this is serious abuse. I wish I could give you a big hug, you poor thing :C

Don't go making her feel guilty, I believe in self-defense, it doesn't matter if it's her mother! Just because she gave birth to her doesn't mean she has the right to practically torture her.
(edited 9 years ago)
What you did was wrong but it sounds like your mother treats you like dirt...

"Take my own life earlier on last year, and also suffer from bulimia"

You need to talk to someone you trust or the doctor/GP.
Reply 35

I agree with daisychain, OP cannot hide away from the fact that she is at least as bad as her mother.
Reply 36

What did daisychain say that you don't agree with? Do you disagree that OP was wrong? Do you hit your mother?
Reply 37
Original post by realunited

Why is that naive? Do you disagree that OP was wrong? Do you hit your mother?

I don`t think Helen is the one who needs Counseling I think the mother should go to jail for a long long time. And what role is the Father playing in this I would like to Know.
Next time you could get some proof of what she is doing (video/audio recording) and either threaten to show it to the police, or show it to the rest of your family. I can't think of much else to do apart from that, to be honest I would probably crack if that happened to me. Stay strong and I hope you find a solution to the problem. (not sure if your religious, but remember that her judgement day will be long)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest