The Student Room Group

Uses of sinx^2 + cosx^2 = 1

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mr M
Does the website still exist? I want to read it now.

Same, but I thought it would be a bit demanding to ask for essay+website lol
Original post by Mr M
Does the website still exist? I want to read it now.

No, I took it down after I got my certificate.

It wasn't that good tbh...
Original post by MathMeister
Same, but I thought it would be a bit demanding to ask for essay+website lol

Didn't have to do a proper essay since I made a website. I did do a 10,000 page report on my entire thought process that lead me to create the website though. I know I went overboard, but it was worth it for the grade.

I don't have any of the documents saved on my new laptop though. Trust me - you wouldn't want to read my report or website. You'll probably die of boredom from the report, or find a glaringly obvious maths mistake on the website!

Thankfully the teacher that marked it wasn't a maths teacher. :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
It is used to transform the double angle formula for cos2x into terms of just sin2x\sin^{2} x or cos2x\cos^{2} x, which is useful in finding some integrals.
For example it can be used to find sin2xdx\int \sin^{2} xdx
Original post by rayquaza17

Whoa yeah... a 10000 page is overboard :tongue:
Ahh jk ok though
:smile:
Original post by rayquaza17
Where exactly does it say this?

Impossible to do a maths EPQ without
overlap.

I did an EPQ and I included a lot of the stuff I leaned at A Level and I got nearly full marks on my EPQ.

I'm afraid your EPQ breaches the rules then - supervisors are given a checklist with certain things which they have show that you've followed by signing at the bottom. One of these is "The title given has very little or no overlap with the candidates A-level specification or equivalent"
Original post by Gaiaphage
I'm afraid your EPQ breaches the rules then - supervisors are given a checklist with certain things which they have show that you've followed by signing at the bottom. One of these is "The title given has very little or no overlap with the candidates A-level specification or equivalent"

Oops

Oh well. It was two years ago now lol. #yolo

Posted from TSR Mobile
Been used to prove other identities ie(relations of sec tan and cosec and cot)
Can be used to tranform some trigonometric functions into quadratic in either sin or cos ie reducing into simpler solvable formats.
Proof is from pythagorus ie have three sides z is the hypotenuse. then for te angle theta the adjacent and opposite are zcostheta, zsintheta
this must also satisy pythagorus theorem S its right angled
z^2cos^2thta +Z^2sin^2theta=z^2
dividing by z^2 gives the formula.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest