Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Russia bans transgender & transsexual people from driving watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MedicineMann)
    Sad, but not unexpected. Perhaps someone can correct me but are Transgender people not considered mentally ill in this country? would that not have an impact on their ability to obtain a licence?
    If by "this country" you mean the UK, gender dysphoria is classed as a physical disorder rather than a mental disorder.

ReputationRep:
    Also, isn't this an onion post?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blazar)
    If by "this country" you mean the UK, gender dysphoria is classed as a physical disorder rather than a mental disorder.
    Yeah I did, thank you for that. It was just something I remember hearing a while ago and it always struck me as backwards.

ReputationRep:
    It's an absolute joke but it just doesn't surprise me any more. :sad:

(Original post by Evening)
    So does Cameron.
    Umm... no. Grow up.

ReputationRep:
    Pussy Riot should definitely write a song about this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30735673

The Russian government is addressing the issue of too many road accidents by 'tightening medical controls' on who can drive. People barred from driving now include:

People with 'sex disorders'
    People with 'pathological' gambling problems or problems with compulsive stealing.

"The Association of Russian Lawyers for Human Rights called the new law "discriminatory". It said it would demand clarifications from the Russian Constitutional Court and seek support from international human rights organisations.

But the Professional Drivers Union supported the move. "We have too many deaths on the road, and I believe toughening medical requirements for applicants is fully justified," said the union's head Alexander Kotov."

Nothing we can do about it, nothing we should do about it - let Russia deal with its own problems, let them dig themselves deeper into ****e.

ReputationRep:
    Just wanna say one thing as a Russian citizen. Always say Russian governemnt instead of Russian people or Russia. It is a difficult situation at home, very difficult, and believe me most of the people do not like Mr Scary Putin, but we have "democracy" in our country.
    I personally this thing with driving is absolute bull****.
    But as a Russian myself please please dont jusge the whole nation by certain people. It really breaks my heart when the attitude towards me is crap just because I am from Russia.
    Everyone has different views at home as well.
    My country's government's mind is just way behind 21st centuary unfortunately

ReputationRep:
    There is already a thread on this in Chat. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3069165

Perhaps they should be merged?

ReputationRep:
    Ah well not as bad as Saudi Arabia then who ban women from driving. I'm not sure I believe it to be honest given Russia are being demonized a lot lately by Western media.

ReputationRep:
    Just wanna say one thing as a Russian citizen. Always say Russian governemnt instead of Russian people or Russia. It is a difficult situation at home, very difficult, and believe me most of the people do not like Mr Scary Putin, but we have "democracy" in our country.
    I personally this thing with driving is absolute bull****.
    But as a Russian myself please please dont jusge the whole nation by certain people. It really breaks my heart when the attitude towards me is crap just because I am from Russia.
    Everyone has different views at home as well.
    My country's government's mind is just way behind 21st centuary unfortunately
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    There is already a thread on this in Chat. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3069165

I'll be happy to do this once that thread is moved out of the Chat forum as we discussed.

This is an odd law to say the least. But it's no secret the Russian government has been introducing ominous, strange laws in the last couple of years. I'm really not sure I understand how a 'sex disorder', as they've put it, affects one's ability to drive?

ReputationRep:
    Sadly, this doesn't surprise me at all. It's unjust and cannot be condoned by anyone.

(Original post by Reluire)
    I'll be happy to do this once that thread is moved out of the Chat forum as we discussed.
    I've reported the thread so hopefully they get sorted soon.

ReputationRep:
    Who comes up with this stuff? Ridiculous to say the least.

ReputationRep:
    Are Russia the first country to do this?

Can't say I'm surprised, Russia continues to be Russia.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I read this and laughed. Exactly what link there is between transgender people and the ability to drive, I've no idea.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by mikeyd85)

I'm happy for them to be merged, or just remove this one - whichever is easiest :yy:

ReputationRep:
    I'm happy for them to be merged, or just remove this one - whichever is easiest :yy:
    Yours has a better OP. Think they'll get merged. :yep:
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Veggiechic6)
    I read this and laughed. Exactly what link there is between transgender people and the ability to drive, I've no idea.
    It almost reads as satire, doesn't it?

ReputationRep:
    This kind of stuff scares me. This happening is just terrible and also because I'm LGBT, it's horrendous knowing that people just like me are getting persecuted and their rights are getting taken away all over the world, including Russia. The escalation of laws that restrict LGBT people's lives in Russia are slowly increasing, and I'm scared as to how this will end.

ReputationRep:
    It is quite.... out there.

"Fetishism, exhibitionism and voyeurism are also included as "mental disorders" now barring people from driving."
    I agree with Russia.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 10, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.