Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    With the disability issue, it was regarded slightly as a minor issue. Laws already require public buildings to be accessible to people with disabilities, and a national exam will be governed by JCQ. The allowances made in current GCSE and A-level exams for candidates with learning disabilities will be the same as the allowances made for the new grammar school entry exams.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    With the disability issue, it was regarded slightly as a minor issue. Laws already require public buildings to be accessible to people with disabilities, and a national exam will be governed by JCQ. The allowances made in current GCSE and A-level exams for candidates with learning disabilities will be the same as the allowances made for the new grammar school entry exams.
    How about those who need assistance in lesson time?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    How about those who need assistance in lesson time?
    As far as I am aware it is the responsibility of the individual school to organise assistance. There is a funding pot at local authorities to pay for the extra assistance needed, with schools applying to the local authority for the funding. We don't see this changing in grammar schools.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    As far as I am aware it is the responsibility of the individual school to organise assistance. There is a funding pot at local authorities to pay for the extra assistance needed, with schools applying to the local authority for the funding. We don't see this changing in grammar schools.
    Whereas this is one of the things that must change in grammar schools.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Grammars tend to be less adept at dealing with those with special needs and putting things in place for them and this is one of the issues here.

ReputationRep:
    It should be called the "Secondary Modern School Bill" because there will be more students attending SM schools than Grammars.

ReputationRep:
    Whereas this is one of the things that must change in grammar schools.
    (Original post by Aph)
    Grammars tend to be less adept at dealing with those with special needs and putting things in place for them and this is one of the issues here.
    I do not think it should change. The idea of grammar schools is to pick the most gifted pupils, regardless of their circumstance, with one aim; academic excellence. If children with special needs or learning disabilities pass the entrance exam, the support the child received in primary school will continue when in grammar school, provided the school notifies the LEA of the pupil to receive extra funding to cover the extra costs. Additionally the child will benefit from having smaller class sizes allowing more attention from the teacher.

We also need to be clear about special needs. Physical needs or impairments will be treated with in-school carers. As far as needs along the lines of difficulty understanding, and reading or writing difficulties, the help would not be offered in grammar schools as the children would be better suited to comprehensive schools where the current level of help will be given, or special needs schools.

The only grey areas are needs like ADHD, and behavioral problems. The children my be academically gifted but if their actions constantly disturb other children they would need special attention outside of the classroom. In cases like these classroom assistants can be used to give a one-on-one approach.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    As far as needs along the lines of difficulty understanding, and reading or writing difficulties, the help would not be offered in grammar schools as the children would be better suited to comprehensive schools where the current level of help will be given, or special needs schools.
    So if I am really gifted but have poor eyesight or a motor condition which makes it hard for me to read and write I would be barred from going to grammar school.
    also this could be interpreted as if someone just needs to ware glasses they can't go to these grammar schools of yours:zomg:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    So if I am really gifted but have poor eyesight or a motor condition which makes it hard for me to read and write I would be barred from going to grammar school.
    also this could be interpreted as if someone just needs to ware glasses they can't go to these grammar schools of yours:zomg:
    Not at all. The difficulties you listed come under physical needs or impairments which would be catered for as I have said. Difficulties understanding and learning are things like dyslexia, dyspraxia, dyscalculia, dysgraphia.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Not at all. The difficulties you listed come under physical needs or impairments which would be catered for as I have said. Difficulties understanding and learning are things like dyslexia, dyspraxia, dyscalculia, dysgraphia.
    In which case I fail to understand who would fall under these categories and could pass an entrance test
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I do not think it should change. The idea of grammar schools is to pick the most gifted pupils, regardless of their circumstance, with one aim; academic excellence. If children with special needs or learning disabilities pass the entrance exam, the support the child received in primary school will continue when in grammar school, provided the school notifies the LEA of the pupil to receive extra funding to cover the extra costs. Additionally the child will benefit from having smaller class sizes allowing more attention from the teacher.

We also need to be clear about special needs. Physical needs or impairments will be treated with in-school carers. As far as needs along the lines of difficulty understanding, and reading or writing difficulties, the help would not be offered in grammar schools as the children would be better suited to comprehensive schools where the current level of help will be given, or special needs schools.

The only grey areas are needs like ADHD, and behavioral problems. The children my be academically gifted but if their actions constantly disturb other children they would need special attention outside of the classroom. In cases like these classroom assistants can be used to give a one-on-one approach.
    But some students fail the entry exam due to the learning disabilities meaning they can't physically finish the test. Look at people like Stephen Hawking for example, some of our greatest minds are held back due to physical problems and the better schools not catering for them. Grammar schools often reject people with coordination problems because the test results say that these students aren't "smart enough", when the fact of the matter is that they were physically unable to complete the test - if the grammar schools had measures in place to allow these students a fair chance to complete the entry test and show what they are capable of, it would be progress.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Dyspraxia does not affect understanding at all, merely the coordination is hindered. I'll admit people with dyspraxia tend to lean towards maths and science, however their understanding is not hindered.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Dyspraxia does not affect understanding at all, merely the coordination is hindered. I'll admit people with dyspraxia tend to lean towards maths and science, however their understanding is not hindered.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Dyspraxia counts as a learning disability. In the same wT the ASD does even though those with ASD tend to be smarter.
    in his defence everything he has said so far seems reasonable (certainly by ukip standards) if they address the single sex problem and create forced progression (replacing SATS with grammar school tests then it's fine.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Aph)
    Dyspraxia counts as a learning disability. In the same wT the ASD does even though those with ASD tend to be smarter.
    in his defence everything he has said so far seems reasonable (certainly by ukip standards) if they address the single sex problem and create forced progression (replacing SATS with grammar school tests then it's fine.
    I know what dyspraxia counts as - I have it after all. Admittedly he is being sensible, I just wish the education system catered more for people with the hidden disabilities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I know what dyspraxia counts as - I have it after all. Admittedly he is being sensible, I just wish the education system catered more for people with the hidden disabilities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It would:erm: he said they'd still get access arrangements so they are catered for.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Aph)
    It would:erm: he said they'd still get access arrangements so they are catered for.
    You mean the access arrangements that are already in place? The problem with those is how hard they are to obtain. Also once the student leaves secondary school they have to get tested again which can take as long as two months, two months where the student has to struggle without support. It needs to be made easier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    You mean the access arrangements that are already in place? The problem with those is how hard they are to obtain. Also once the student leaves secondary school they have to get tested again which can take as long as two months, two months where the student has to struggle without support. It needs to be made easier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not in my experience:erm: the moment you get a diagnosis you get statemented and it is all put in place fast.
    And again no not if they have a statement which they should do, statements even carry on into university.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Aph)
    Not in my experience:erm: the moment you get a diagnosis you get statemented and it is all put in place fast.
    And again no not if they have a statement which they should do, statements even carry on into university.
    In my experience we had to appeal for a statement, and the statement only carried to the end of year 11.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    In my experience we had to appeal for a statement, and the statement only carried to the end of year 11.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well mine is for life but is reviewed every year:erm: but statements are being changed as I'm sure you know.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Aph)
    Well mine is for life but is reviewed every year:erm: but statements are being changed as I'm sure you know.
    Yeah. Which means I'll probably be no longer classed as disabled when I clearly need the support. Yay RL government!:rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2015
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.