Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

It is OK to slander men's bodies but not women's Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Green_Pink)
    Not just magazines, but also in social settings and the like. It's not just physical fitness, it's also a lot of often expensive and time-consuming things women are expected to do such as wear make-up, shave our legs/armpits, and maybe to a lesser extent now manage a longer hairstyle. Whereas men's body/facial hair isn't considered taboo, they're not generally expected to put on expensive beauty products, and even those with bodies seen as unattractive are still able to go out to the beach or wherever without anywhere close to as much scrutiny on them. Add in the fact that women are often judged on the size of their boobs/bum which they can't even change and it's far from even.
    Yeah I can only really speak for myself, but I do see that most men expect Women to be like... completely hairless. Which I find rather stupid. Obviously a lot of hair on women is never going to be attractive but that's because it's a very masculine trait.

As for make-up, I'm not sure that has anything to do with men. I personally don't expect women to wear make-up, I think men who say "Women need to paint their ugly mugs" are a very small minority.

I doubt any woman is actually 'judged' on boobs & butts but I bet quite a lot of macho Men prefer those areas to be well endowed haha, just like a lot of Women prefer men to be taller than them.
    On the other hand, a skinny or slightly chubby guy is seen as incredibly lazy or good for nothing (by both men and women).

Physical fitness to the extent of building an impressive amount of muscle is much harder than having to shave your pits IMO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cremated_Spatula)
    Yeah I can only really speak for myself, but I do see that most men expect Women to be like... completely hairless. Which I find rather stupid. Obviously a lot of hair on women is never going to be attractive but that's because it's a very masculine trait.

As for make-up, I'm not sure that has anything to do with men. I personally don't expect women to wear make-up, I think men who say "Women need to paint their ugly mugs" are a very small minority.

I doubt any woman is actually 'judged' on boobs & butts but I bet quite a lot of macho Men prefer those areas to be well endowed haha, just like a lot of Women prefer men to be taller than them.
    On the other hand, a skinny or slightly chubby guy is seen as incredibly lazy or good for nothing (by both men and women).

Physical fitness to the extent of building an impressive amount of muscle is much harder than having to shave your pits IMO
    I'd agree with the make-up, the pressure actually comes more from being judged by fellow women! It still exists though and is just as harmful.

Take it from me that women are very obviously judged on their "assets" - not even consciously maybe, but the reactions you see from others when you're a girl going around with a friend who's nearly flat-chested compared to one with pretty big breasts is almost comical at times.

Chubbier women also get a lot of criticism for it, maybe even moreso than men! We're definitely expected to stay relatively fit too. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd say that men who aren't so musclely aren't really judged for it or made to feel inadequate - it's more something that's good to have rather than an expectation?

ReputationRep:
    Going to ignore the thread topic and just ask the op. Why do you seem to be the biggest nervous wreck I have ever encountered? You need counselling.

ReputationRep:
    I'd agree with the make-up, the pressure actually comes more from being judged by fellow women! It still exists though and is just as harmful.

Take it from me that women are very obviously judged on their "assets" - not even consciously maybe, but the reactions you see from others when you're a girl going around with a friend who's nearly flat-chested compared to one with pretty big breasts is almost comical at times.

Chubbier women also get a lot of criticism for it, maybe even moreso than men! We're definitely expected to stay relatively fit too. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd say that men who aren't so musclely aren't really judged for it or made to feel inadequate - it's more something that's good to have rather than an expectation?
    I still don't know what you mean by judged :/

Nope, I'd say it's an expectation. Not that I'd ever be able to prove it!

I see plenty of chubby girls and obese girls who have very physically fit partners (Including my sister and her husband lol) and just compare the hate people get for criticizing a chubby girl w/ a fat guy.

Maybe both gender's exaggerate the expectations of the opposite gender thus generating insecurity when in reality only the worst of people are that shallow.

ReputationRep:
    Are women not ruled by their emotions while men are tough.

I jest of course but its because men chase and chase fat women. Women chase less and mostly only the best looking.

Women don't help themselves with the fat is beautiful stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eveiebaby)
    Even on TSR, you have a noticeable portion of young men who completely rip apart women who are for all intents and purposes good looking . There is so much bravado and macho behaviour that I expect that to be so critical, they themselves must be some real aesthetic specimens.

I've also seen posts that loudly and proudly support that women are only worth their relative hotness and that women are a waste of time, only use them for sex because they're whores. It's pretty disappointing to see that sort of jaded and humiliating Attitude.

For the record, not that it matters, I think conventional beauty is boring.... gender indiscriminate. The stereotype of the American jock is just ****ing stupid. Why do complaining TSR guys seem to aspire to look like total ass bags?
    If you take out sex we wouldn't even be interested in girls. Why should we?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoyalMarine)
    If you take out sex we wouldn't even be interested in girls. Why should we?
    Because just like men, women don't have homogenous qualities and vary from person to person. Seriously... what a stupid thing to say.

ReputationRep:
    Not just magazines, but also in social settings and the like. It's not just physical fitness, it's also a lot of often expensive and time-consuming things women are expected to do such as wear make-up, shave our legs/armpits, and maybe to a lesser extent now manage a longer hairstyle. Whereas men's body/facial hair isn't considered taboo, they're not generally expected to put on expensive beauty products, and even those with bodies seen as unattractive are still able to go out to the beach or wherever without anywhere close to as much scrutiny on them. Add in the fact that women are often judged on the size of their boobs/bum which they can't even change and it's far from even.
    as apposed to height. Do you know how hard it is to be buff? Sod that. Being thin is easy (for me anyway, I'm also aware women have more body fat). I also feel like I am expected to be confident if I am to have any chance with women, well you may as well ask me to grow 5 inches. Not detracting from the rest of what you wrote. Just pointing it out.

Also I would rather not look at fat blokes on the beach with their top off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom_Ford)
    Going to ignore the thread topic and just ask the op. Why do you seem to be the biggest nervous wreck I have ever encountered? You need counselling.
    You must be new here

ReputationRep:
    No. No, no, no. It's not okay to slander anyone's body. It's downright rude to comment on anyone's body image, inc. weight, colour, imperfections etc. I know a lot of people who would outright call someone fat but become incredibly hurt when someone says they could lose a few pounds, or they don't fit into size 8 clothing. I know people, men and women specifically, who slandered their lovers bodies after being intimate with them. Like, seriously? It's not okay at all, ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    You must be new here
    The user isn't new, just thinks it (I can't remember gender) is absolutely hilarious.

On topic. It shouldn't be okay to be hurtful about anyone's body. Fat people might be fat but they don't deserve overt ridicule for it. The subliminal reactions to fatness leaves them at a crossroads, they change and try and get fitter or they mope and whinge. Judge people to their attitudes when confronted with issues rather than their bodies directly.

^^ I shouldn't need to say it but this does not apply to people who are a particular shape for any reason other than eating too much food. The flat chested/flat arsed/height issues are all just really shallow. It's alright to have a preference but looking down on people and then telling them about physical attributes they have no control over is unnecessary and mean-spirited.

Edit: can we stop calling it slander.

slander
    ˈslɑːndə/Submit
    nounLAW
    the action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person's reputation.

It's not slander if it's true but it's still just as awful.

ReputationRep:
    Ive not seen too many male bodies slandered by women. It's usually males ripping each other with the "do you even lift" ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smash Bandicoot)
    yes and then you're told insecurity isn't attractive. :rolleyes:

I'm not saying 'women want an alpha male' all the time, but men are expected to compensate with confidence, success in non-physical aspects etc. whereas with women men's shallow minds are to blame.

It is definitely OK to try and mould a man into his 'potential' (read: the way you want him) but to even attempt to do so in a woman has been included before today as abuse.
    I have to admit if a guy says he doesn't find a girl attractive you'll tend to get people jumping up and down shouting how closed mined he is. Both IRL and TSR.

(Original post by Cremated_Spatula)
    As a guy I feel like I should be at least physically fit/ toned to even get the attention of an overweight girl. XD

Probably not true, but something subconsciously influencing me.
    Yeah I remember this really fat girl saying that at college she'd never get with a guy without a six pack.... though she's since settled.

There's another fat girl on my course at uni who won't get with someone unless they're fairly hench, but you still see such guys chasing these kind of girls.

ReputationRep:
    Here is an idea.

If someone says something to you and it offends you then clearly you have a problem with it thus need to do something about it for your own sake.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not convinced you know what objectification is :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eveiebaby)
    Because just like men, women don't have homogenous qualities and vary from person to person. Seriously... what a stupid thing to say.
    Then let's make a bet.I put £1,000 and you put just £50. Try and date men and say clearly that you will never ever have sex (for some made up reason). I bet no man will have a date with you. This proves that if you take out sex we are not interested in girls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoyalMarine)
    Then let's make a bet.I put £1,000 and you put just £50. Try and date men and say clearly that you will never ever have sex (for some made up reason). I bet no man will have a date with you. This proves that if you take out sex we are not interested in girls.
    That's not a justification. Bet £1000 and say clearly that THEY will never every have sex and I would not date them either. That is however quite different to a friendship where there is no sexual attraction between us. I think that you're making men sound devolved. It is possible for both sexes to be civilized and override instincts to shag, kill and **** wherever they please.

ReputationRep:
    by gaining weight you can become more curvy, also gaining weight increases boob size provided you eat the right food.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoTheEducations)
    there's plenty of pressure on women to look good, hence all the airbrushing and makeup and 'perfect' models and celebs, and a lot of diets targeted for women etc.
    That's only because there's such a market for it, especially diets. It doesn't work on men so well because if a man wants to get fit he won't moan about it on fb, he will just hit the gym whereas a girl will often do everything but going to the gym and look for that magic diet/pill that will undo years of abuse in 5 minutes, and she's willing to pay as much as it costs.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.