Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I need to know some case study figures for Phillipines, California and some megacities. Any help is appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TallandSexy)
    I need to know some case study figures for Phillipines, California and some megacities. Any help is appreciated.
    This is literally just all I can remember off the top of my head but...

The Phillipines:
    - Made up 7000 small islands, 5-20 degrees north of the equator
    - Tropical Cyclone Belt - hit by 6 to 7 storms a year
    - The Oceanic plate subducts below the Eurasian plate which makes it a destructive boundary
    -June 1991 Mt Pinatubo Eruption; killed 250-800 people, Typhoon Yunya hit at the same time
    -Feb 2006, 1126 were killed by a landslide
    -Drought in APril 1998 effected 2.5 million
    -$3300 GDP
    -Rapidly urbanising, 2000 people per km2 in Manila which is at sea-level

California:
    -40 million people
    -San Andreas faultline - conservative plate boundary
    -Loma Prieta, October 1989; 7.1 magnitude, 63 dead, $6billion damages, 1018 homes destroyed
    -El Nino causes floods in the Los Angeles and San Gabriel rivers
    -La Nina causes forest fires and droughts

LA as a megacity:
    -Railyway was introduced in 1876, 500k moved to LA within 40 years
    -In the 1970s it was the fastest growing city in the US
    -Growth rate is 1% pa
    -50,000 tonnes of waste produced a day
    -Only 30% use public transport

Mumbai as a megacity:
    -Provides 33% of India's tax revenue
    -1 Million live in Dharavi (shanty town)
    -600 new migrants a day - 26 million expected by 2020
    -80% of waste is recycled in Dharavi

I'm sorry these aren't great as I don't have my notes on me but I hope this helps!! Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any notes on unit 2 extreme weather/rebranding??
    I did my unit1 paper today and i dont think i did very well, so i need to make sure i up it with unit 2 on friday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by endsp1el)
    This is literally just all I can remember off the top of my head but...

The Phillipines:
    - Made up 7000 small islands, 5-20 degrees north of the equator
    - Tropical Cyclone Belt - hit by 6 to 7 storms a year
    - The Oceanic plate subducts below the Eurasian plate which makes it a destructive boundary
    -June 1991 Mt Pinatubo Eruption; killed 250-800 people, Typhoon Yunya hit at the same time
    -Feb 2006, 1126 were killed by a landslide
    -Drought in APril 1998 effected 2.5 million
    -$3300 GDP
    -Rapidly urbanising, 2000 people per km2 in Manila which is at sea-level

California:
    -40 million people
    -San Andreas faultline - conservative plate boundary
    -Loma Prieta, October 1989; 7.1 magnitude, 63 dead, $6billion damages, 1018 homes destroyed
    -El Nino causes floods in the Los Angeles and San Gabriel rivers
    -La Nina causes forest fires and droughts

LA as a megacity:
    -Railyway was introduced in 1876, 500k moved to LA within 40 years
    -In the 1970s it was the fastest growing city in the US
    -Growth rate is 1% pa
    -50,000 tonnes of waste produced a day
    -Only 30% use public transport

Mumbai as a megacity:
    -Provides 33% of India's tax revenue
    -1 Million live in Dharavi (shanty town)
    -600 new migrants a day - 26 million expected by 2020
    -80% of waste is recycled in Dharavi

I'm sorry these aren't great as I don't have my notes on me but I hope this helps!! Good luck!!
    Thanks! It really helped a lot. I used some figures for California as the question for it came up. I'm glad I read your post.

Do you have any for Unit 2? I'm doing re branding and Coastal areas. Some case study figures I need to learn for re branding are: Eden Project, London Olympics, and Long Bridge.

For coastal areas, I need to know some for Dorset, Jurrassic coast, Mappleton and some other coastlines I forgot. Any help is appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! It really helped a lot. I used some figures for California as the question for it came up. I'm glad I read your post.

Do you have any for Unit 2? I'm doing re branding and Coastal areas. Some case study figures I need to learn for re branding are: Eden Project, London Olympics, and Long Bridge.

For coastal areas, I need to know some for Dorset, Jurrassic coast, Mappleton and some other coastlines I forgot. Any help is appreciated.
    London Olympics is a classic one! I used that in my exam last year. Manchester is also a good one if you have the CGP book.

ReputationRep:

I have them but honestly I haven't started revising yet for that exam:confused: I'll let you know what I've got when I've started revising, haha :P

ReputationRep:
    Guys what did people get about why are droughts caused in California in Unit 1? I talked about La Nina but didn't mention dry Santa Ana Winds? :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveUncle)
    If anyone is struggling with AS Edexcel Geography or wants to to do better I'm happy to help, studied it last year and did well
    Hey Im not sure if you could help me but I have a geographical investigations exam for edexcel tomorrow,unit 2, and Im not sure what Id write if they ask me a question like 'How did you analyse and present your results of your fieldwork?'. Im guessing it would be working out mean and modes, and graphs but Im not sure what else??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarah_x_)
    Hey Im not sure if you could help me but I have a geographical investigations exam for edexcel tomorrow,unit 2, and Im not sure what Id write if they ask me a question like 'How did you analyse and present your results of your fieldwork?'. Im guessing it would be working out mean and modes, and graphs but Im not sure what else??
    It depends on what topic it's about! I'll explain in the context of rebranding places as that's what I did...

So an important thing to say is that you compared your primary fieldwork data (data you actually got from going out in the field yourself) with your secondary data (that you found online, in newspapers, etc)... If they match, it shows your fieldwork data might be accurate! You could also say for any numerical data you obtained that you took 5 readings for each type of data and made a mean average to eliminate error.

Yeah you could mention graphs, eg say you did a survey and asked 50 people "Rate this area of Manchester out of 10", you could plot a bar chart to see what areas got what scores.

A good idea my teacher had was to use a "word cloud" - Record your interviews with a microphone and input the most common words into an online word cloud generator and the bigger the word, the more it was said. For example, if you were in a deprived part of London you might see "crime" come up a lot or "unemployment".

You could say you used GIS to map which areas of the location were the most deprived also, GIS is pretty advanced stuff so examiners love to see that apparently!

Hope this is of some help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveUncle)
    It depends on what topic it's about! I'll explain in the context of rebranding places as that's what I did...

So an important thing to say is that you compared your primary fieldwork data (data you actually got from going out in the field yourself) with your secondary data (that you found online, in newspapers, etc)... If they match, it shows your fieldwork data might be accurate! You could also say for any numerical data you obtained that you took 5 readings for each type of data and made a mean average to eliminate error.

Yeah you could mention graphs, eg say you did a survey and asked 50 people "Rate this area of Manchester out of 10", you could plot a bar chart to see what areas got what scores.

A good idea my teacher had was to use a "word cloud" - Record your interviews with a microphone and input the most common words into an online word cloud generator and the bigger the word, the more it was said. For example, if you were in a deprived part of London you might see "crime" come up a lot or "unemployment".

You could say you used GIS to map which areas of the location were the most deprived also, GIS is pretty advanced stuff so examiners love to see that apparently!

Hope this is of some help
    Thank you so so so so much!! This is great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarah_x_)
    Thank you so so so so much!! This is great
    Glad you think so! Hope your exam went okay.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.