Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should Parents with mental health issues be allowed to have children? watch

ReputationRep:
    If people who have mental disorders knew that if they had children,they would have them taken away,there would never allow themselves to get help or diagnosed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Those issues would not affect upbringing, in comparison with illnesses such as depression, schizophrenia and bi-polar.

OCD, Anxiety and Aspergers are mental illnesses that wouldn't perhaps pose any type of risk. If anything they could have a positive influence, with the parent being protective and caring.

Is your mother a single parent?
    lol
    anxiety disorders wouldn't pose a risk? wat
    have you actually known anyone with a severe anxiety disorder?

she's had on-off depression for as long as I can remember, too. not rly worth mentioning tho, i'm not in the business of blaming my own insecurities and inabilities on other people.

this is all your opinion, though - some would argue being brought up by someone on the autistic spectrum could negatively impact my ability to conne-

blah blah blah

too much subjectivity y0

ReputationRep:
    There are many people with mental health issues who are untreated, not to mention undiagnosed. So...yeah. As for people who are diagnosed, it's kind of hard to preemptively prevent someone from having children. What are you suggesting? As soon as someone who is documented as "bipolar" or "depressed" has children, take their kid away? Neuter a man or tie a woman's tubes if they are diagnosed? Once someone does get diagnosed, do the same? :confused:

(Original post by pocahontas lol)
    There are many people with mental health issues who are untreated, not to mention undiagnosed. So...yeah. As for people who are diagnosed, it's kind of hard to preemptively prevent someone from having children. What are you suggesting? As soon as someone who is documented as "bipolar" or "depressed" has children, take their kid away? Neuter a man or tie a woman's tubes if they are diagnosed? Once someone does get diagnosed, do the same? :confused:
    lol did you read the thread? I'm not against them having children i'm against the ****ty level of support they receive once they have kids and how that affects both them and the child's development/safety

(Original post by Kaiju)
    lol
    anxiety disorders wouldn't pose a risk? wat
    have you actually known anyone with a severe anxiety disorder?

she's had on-off depression for as long as I can remember, too. not rly worth mentioning tho, i'm not in the business of blaming my own insecurities and inabilities on other people.

this is all your opinion, though - some would argue being brought up by someone on the autistic spectrum could negatively impact my ability to conne-

blah blah blah

too much subjectivity y0
    You're avoiding the question and both everything I said in the reply to you and the rest of the thread lol. Read and comprehend other posts before replying pls.

ReputationRep:
    lol did you read the thread? I'm not against them having children i'm against the ****ty level of support they receive once they have kids and how that affects both them and the child's development/safety
    Did I quote you? So then it wasn't to you.

I posted it when I saw someone get 2 likes for saying no. So I posted it for anyone who agrees.

ReputationRep:
    fully half of the 'what about this, then?' strokes of social policy genius on this board are predicated on the understanding that we live in the GDR.

ReputationRep:
    May sound cruel and unfair but for SOME people sterilisation should be offered, especially if they already have more than one child, it is not right that a child should be brought into a environment through no fault of there own and have to see/experience what some of them experience. It is much like those vile wicked parents that allow there children to knowingly be sexually abused, they should be permanently unable to every have a child again. I don’t see it as being right that sometimes these kind of people are allowed and sometimes social services remove the child at birth and give he/she to a family that may hopefully care for them but the opportunity for there bilogical parents to of had them really shouldn’t have been an issue in the first place.

*This is only my view, if you disagree and are going to quote me ranting please don’t.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    How dare you. I have no issues, I have an eating disorder, this would in no way affect my ability to care for my future children. Now issues such as bipolar and depression however, affect the ability MASSIVELY.

It would be reinforced fairly easily, and expecting mother who has visited their doctor has her health records checked - any history of mental illness is thoroughly investigated - and it is constantly as the child grows up. If the doctor believes the issue is bad enough - the child is taken away - simple.
    A lot of people with eating disorders have depression and other mental health issues.

Taking the child away is just going to make their mental health worse. And yes, I do know people who have been threatened with having their children taken away from them. They need support, not their child taken away from them. It doesn't help the child either.

ReputationRep:
    Your experience does sound a very negative one. However, I've been brought up by parents with, I suppose 'mental health issues'. These led to my dad drinking excessively in an attempt to escape his feelings of anxiety, having agoraphobia. As a child, this was quite traumatising. My mum also had some mental health issues, which are thankfully well controlled by medication now. However, in no way do I wish for a different childhood. I suppose as far as I'm concerned, my parents have been more supportive and caring than any of my friend's, and I have been taught to accept people who are different. The stigmas surrounding mental health issues would surely only increase should limits be placed on who can have children. My mum sacrificed her short term mental health because she had to stop taking her medication to make pregnancy safe- surely that in itself proves the care and competency that my parents feel. My life hasn't been perfect, but then it's been really good too. There should obviously be checks in place in case parents are unable to care well for their children because they are too consumed by their own issues to care for their child's welfare. However, a blanket ban would be ridiculous, not to mention in conflict with the ECHR.

ReputationRep:
    Both my parents have had mental illnesses, with my mother depressed and threatening to kill herself regularly in the past, and my dad having severe schizophrenia and bi polar.

For a long time I lived just with my dad and it was hard as he was neglectful in addition to scaring me by telling me all his beliefs. And at the time, when you're a child and your mother left, you believe all the crazy beliefs. But now i'm 23 and I bearly think about my childhood. I think I turned out a lot better than many people I know with "normal" parents. I'm thankful that I had the parents I did as I like who I am and if I had been adopted I may have been a very different person. Yeah I have problems and a history, but who doesn't?

If my dad had not had a child, who would have been there to help him when his benefits were cut off a few years ago due to the law changes and the fact that support in the community is so poor. He had no payments for over 6 months, so when I found out I helped him with buying food and pestering doctors and benefits offices, and doing paperwork. Just think what might have happened if there was no one there who loved and cared for him. remember that family support is a two way street.

I know you're saying that there should be more support in the community, which I agree with, but because of the nature of mental health issues, perhaps added to by societal stigma, many of the people with mental health problems will refuse to get help or acknowledge that they need it....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaiju)
    i'm not in the business of blaming my own insecurities and inabilities on other people.
    Where do you think they come from? Are they innate? :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Fawkesgirl33)
    Your experience does sound a very negative one. However, I've been brought up by parents with, I suppose 'mental health issues'. These led to my dad drinking excessively in an attempt to escape his feelings of anxiety, having agoraphobia. As a child, this was quite traumatising. My mum also had some mental health issues, which are thankfully well controlled by medication now. However, in no way do I wish for a different childhood. I suppose as far as I'm concerned, my parents have been more supportive and caring than any of my friend's, and I have been taught to accept people who are different. The stigmas surrounding mental health issues would surely only increase should limits be placed on who can have children. My mum sacrificed her short term mental health because she had to stop taking her medication to make pregnancy safe- surely that in itself proves the care and competency that my parents feel. My life hasn't been perfect, but then it's been really good too. There should obviously be checks in place in case parents are unable to care well for their children because they are too consumed by their own issues to care for their child's welfare. However, a blanket ban would be ridiculous, not to mention in conflict with the ECHR.
    its nice to find someone with a similar experience. my mum has always refused medication because it makes her sleepy and her long stream of boyfriends moaned at her for falling asleep.

(Original post by Bobbi!)
    Both my parents have had mental illnesses, with my mother depressed and threatening to kill herself regularly in the past, and my dad having severe schizophrenia and bi polar.

For a long time I lived just with my dad and it was hard as he was neglectful in addition to scaring me by telling me all his beliefs. And at the time, when you're a child and your mother left, you believe all the crazy beliefs. But now i'm 23 and I bearly think about my childhood. I think I turned out a lot better than many people I know with "normal" parents. I'm thankful that I had the parents I did as I like who I am and if I had been adopted I may have been a very different person. Yeah I have problems and a history, but who doesn't?

If my dad had not had a child, who would have been there to help him when his benefits were cut off a few years ago due to the law changes and the fact that support in the community is so poor. He had no payments for over 6 months, so when I found out I helped him with buying food and pestering doctors and benefits offices, and doing paperwork. Just think what might have happened if there was no one there who loved and cared for him. remember that family support is a two way street.

I know you're saying that there should be more support in the community, which I agree with, but because of the nature of mental health issues, perhaps added to by societal stigma, many of the people with mental health problems will refuse to get help or acknowledge that they need it....
    having 2 parents around must have helped the situation though?

ReputationRep:
    How dare you. I have no issues, I have an eating disorder, this would in no way affect my ability to care for my future children. Now issues such as bipolar and depression however, affect the ability MASSIVELY.

It would be reinforced fairly easily, and expecting mother who has visited their doctor has her health records checked - any history of mental illness is thoroughly investigated - and it is constantly as the child grows up. If the doctor believes the issue is bad enough - the child is taken away - simple.
    I'm a medical student. I don't think it's simple at all. It's very difficult, and subjective, and I think doctors would disagree with each other. People spend their whole life studying the condition - I'm currently planning a fiction novel around it, and faced with all the reading around the subject i need to do, I can see that's it's so complicated and variable. Also begs the question, who makes the decision? GPs? Psychiatrists? Psychologists? Social workers? Who?

I most certainly would have preferred not to have been born. Its lucky I'm very academic and will be escaping to University soon - otherwise I'd of ended my abusive and sad life long ago.
    I think you're being slightly hypocritical. I'm sorry to hear about your experiences, and that you wish you'd never been born. Let me explain myself.

How can you say that you have no issues which would in no way affect your ability to bring up a child like your parent did, yet also say that you "certainly would have preferred to not have been born"? If you think your parent shouldn't have been allowed to give birth to you because she had manic depression, then why do you think you should be allowed, even though you would rather have not been born? The reason you haven't ended things is because you're going to university? You think that's a stable way of thinking?

Who decides what a safe mental state to have a child is? There are plenty of people with bipolar disorder who, with awareness of their condition, the right social support and pharmacological/psychological interventions, are decent parents. I think it would be unfair to discount them because of the diagnosis of bipolar disorder. People could say the same about depression - how severe must it be before you stop them having kids? We don't fully understand psychiatric conditions like these, they present in different ways. What even is depression? How many people have experienced severe low moods and have not sought medical advice because they wouldn't medicalise their problem by calling it depression? - they think it's a normal part of the vicissitudes of life - "everybody has up's and downs, don't they..."

One thing I think is really important to recognise is that everybody has baggage. Nobody has a totally happy life with no suffering. Maybe it's fair to say that some suffer more than others. But I really think you shouldn't wish your childhood was "normal" - this doesn't exist in my opinion. There is suffering in this world, and you would have experienced it even in childhood, whoever your parents were. That said, I do think there are protective measures to prevent childhood abuse. Social services do an important job. Are you saying they have not been involved in your upbringing at all? Do you think they could have done more?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarvingAutist)
    Where do you think they come from? Are they innate? :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    i don't have any :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

ReputationRep:
    having 2 parents around must have helped the situation though?
    Well no, as I said, my mum left. And why would having two mentally ill parents be better than having one? before they split when I was 4, they bought each other down and argued as well as having their own individual problems.

And what do you say about people with mental health issues not wanting to let on to their conditions, sometimes even being unaware of them themselves? How would you police this??

ReputationRep:
    Haha an eating disorder isn't a mental health issue...and why would my child copy me?? I'm recovered now, and not wanting to eat every now and then won't affect my child's well being or emotional growth.
    Children learn by copying their parents. That is why children are affected by the mental well-being of their parents, they learn from them, they don't come out perfectly. And an eating disorder is a mental health issue.
    Possible risk factors of eating disorders:
    - body image would be transferred to the child.
    - not eating increases the risk, that one is physically not able to care for his/her child.
    - Child copies eating behaviour
    - Parent is not able to provide a balanced diet for the child.
    - Child fears their parent will die by starving themselves to death

The amount of times I've seen woman hit and verbally abuse their children in public is ridiculous - I dread what happens behind closed doors.
    That does not mean, the parents have a mental health problem. (I mean, somehow anyone commiting crimes has a problem, but it is different from being mentally ill.)

Those issues would not affect upbringing, in comparison with illnesses such as depression, schizophrenia and bi-polar.
    How do you want to know it? There are people on the Spectrum having no great interest/ability in social interaction whatsoever and/or can't e.g. even talk and Bipolar people, who are perfectly fine, as they have successfully undergone therapy and are acting very responsible concerning their illness. You can't say, this will affect the baby and this won't. I am not saying, that some mental illness will have a much higher risk on affecting the child badly than others and that some people are due to their problems incapable to care of their children, BUT you are generalizing. There are a lot of people with shizophrenia who are doing pretty well and others with an anxiety so severe, there have never left their room.

OCD, Anxiety and Aspergers are mental illnesses that wouldn't perhaps pose any type of risk. If anything they could have a positive influence, with the parent being protective and caring.
    See above, that is simply not true.

Well, you can't blame think, as you named the thread: "Should Parents with mental health issues be allowed to have children?"

ReputationRep:
    No one should be allowed to take someone elses rights away to make decisions for themselves.

But we see this done. Recently we saw

UN Vaccines in Kenya Used to Sterilize Women
    http://www.thenewamerican.com/world-...terilize-women

WHO used Sterilize Women in Philippines
    http://www.globalresearch.ca/is-the-...-globe/5413599

There is a UN document which is called Agenda 21, which talks about population control to acheive sustainable development. It states in it tat they need to need to maintain the worlds population to 500,000,000. This means reducing the worlds population to 95%. I dont know how they will do that, but we have seen wars, global hunger, incase in people needing IVF, projects like this using vaccines.

Just make you wonder, if what you are calling for, for a select group of people, isnt already being implimented across the world now.

ReputationRep:
    I'm tempted to say Yes allowed to give birth, but Only allowed to retain the child if they are willing to seek treatment, otherwise a matter for social services (given that I have first-hand experience of how the treatment-resistant/averse mentally ill can behave and wouldn't want my child to deal with that unstable environment :/)

Impossible to enforce pre-birth without breaking the Hippocratic Oath of course

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 14, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.