Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you have one of your legs removed for £10,000,000? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Without a doubt.

ReputationRep:
    I presume that you didn't think of the possibility of bionic legs costing less than 10 million when you made this post. Despite this, the answer to your question from me is no. Money is a made up concept with no real value. Yes it's good for making exchanges simpler (the days of bartering are long gone) but besides that it is something we can live without. Similar to any other animals, we need food, water, heat and shelter in order to survive and of course both our legs too! (survival of the fittest and all that). Money is just a made up number, giving people a false sense of hope and satisfaction and skewing their image of reality. No matter how much or how little you have, you don't need it to live and of course the government always gets their hands on it somehow!

ReputationRep:
    No way, not until there are bionic legs that function just as good if not better than normal legs.

I'd say about £65 million and then yeah I'd do it.

ReputationRep:
    Would it be possible to get the money few years in advance - if so I would definitely take the deal. Then invest it in R&D to develop bionic legs that work better than ordinary legs, amputate after the bionic leg is developed (and take bionic leg for free - its my company) and the diversify to other prosthetic parts to make myself millions more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AstroNandos)
    No way, not until there are bionic legs that function just as good if not better than normal legs.

I'd say about £65 million and then yeah I'd do it.
    A very specific figure you state there! Any particular reason you'd want £65 million?

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely no way. I would not lose any of my limbs for any amount of money, or anything else for that matter, and I really do mean exactly that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DailyMailIsALiar)
    A very specific figure you state there! Any particular reason you'd want £65 million?
    I just feel like at that point you can do almost anything, and money should never be an issue. You could set up your own business in whatever you want and have funds, live a very comfortable life off of the interest alone, it'd just be perfect. Yeah you could live a good life with £60m, but I feel losing a leg just isn't worth it at that price.

Give me £100m and I'd throw in my left arm too

ReputationRep:
    No way! There are people out there who would trade anything to have their legs. The money isn't worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AstroNandos)
    I just feel like at that point you can do almost anything, and money should never be an issue. You could set up your own business in whatever you want and have funds, live a very comfortable life off of the interest alone, it'd just be perfect. Yeah you could live a good life with £60m, but I feel losing a leg just isn't worth it at that price.

Give me £100m and I'd throw in my left arm too
    It caretainly would be enough to live a good life! However surely you wouldn't need that mush to be happy! I'd never sell mine as we only get one shot at life as far as we know, there's no point limiting yourself for a made up concept such as money. Whilst people would see you as rich and powerful, they wouldn't envy your position (if that had any self respect)!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Not sure, I don't think so tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissLalaxx)
    No way! There are people out there who would trade anything to have their legs. The money isn't worth it.
    If any of them have £10,000,000 tell them to give me a pm we might be able to sort out some kind of trade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DailyMailIsALiar)
    It caretainly would be enough to live a good life! However surely you wouldn't need that mush to be happy! I'd never sell mine as we only get one shot at life as far as we know, there's no point limiting yourself for a made up concept such as money. Whilst people would see you as rich and powerful, they wouldn't envy your position (if that had any self respect)!
    I would still be happy with less, but I'd only feel it's worth it if I got that much. The thing is that life revolves around money so much, how you can live it often depends on how much you've got. If people didn't envy me (I do envy those with that much money too), it wouldn't bother me. I wouldn't care what anyone thought really. I guess I just love money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissLalaxx)
    I completely agree my father is an amputee and he'd do anything to have his leg back, I'd never give a limb up for money. Yes you can get a plastic leg or a bionic leg or anything like that but its never the same. Also having a leg removed does come with many other side effects, mostly he gets regular excruciating pain (which lasts for hours) in his 'leg' as he gets phantom leg syndrome due to the severed nerves.

ReputationRep:
    Lol no. I wouldn't know what to do with the money. I certainly know what to do with my leg.

ReputationRep:
    Never ever for any amount of money

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous Coward)
    .....uil,4rkl6
    Would they put it back on afterwards?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 96s)
    I completely agree my father is an amputee and he'd do anything to have his leg back, I'd never give a limb up for money. Yes you can get a plastic leg or a bionic leg or anything like that but its never the same. Also having a leg removed does come with many other side effects, mostly he gets regular excruciating pain (which lasts for hours) in his 'leg' as he gets phantom leg syndrome due to the severed nerves.
    And that's exactly why I said what I said. Your father is really strong. I personally don't know anyone who has had any limbs amputated but I know of people that would do anything to be able to walk and use their arms as before. I watched a documentary on that so that's how I know what it is.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Not a chance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Below the Knee yes I'd accept £10 Million, but the whole leg would need to be around £50 Million. If I lost a whole leg then I'd need a lot more recovery time, and I might go through Multiple Bionic legs as technology advances, below the Knee the Technology is already extremely good.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    No definitely not.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.