ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aly418)
    Yep we have a cafe, it's small and quite recent. We have a Costa, Budgens, Sainsbury's local, Pizza Hut, Dominoes, a chip shop and a chicken shop 10 minutes away but in the winter having a cafe is sooo good and let's face it private study is kinda unexciting. We only use it for private study and tutoring. The computers are so slow it's unreal. But I think more sixth forms need to invest in cafés, they really boost morale and enhance the scholarly experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Seriously? A pizza shop? That must be some sixth form.

I know the feeling, my school's computer is pretty slow, it's a hassle to do my IT coursework because of it. I still remember the time I tried to do my cw and my computer froze for like an hour, it's ridiculous.

Do you use a laptop for your hw? Because there's no point in using a ridiculously slow computer for homework

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Firenze26)
    Seriously? A pizza shop? That must be some sixth form.

I know the feeling, my school's computer is pretty slow, it's a hassle to do my IT coursework because of it. I still remember the time I tried to do my cw and my computer froze for like an hour, it's ridiculous.

Do you use a laptop for your hw? Because there's no point in using a ridiculously slow computer for homework

P.S.

Not really. I mainly do my h/w at school because I have a ridiculous timetable. E.g tomorrow I have P4, 5 & 6 but I have to go in at 8.35 because of stupid assembly:hmpf: so I use my frees to do most of my hw so I don't have to do anything at home. I can just chillax :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not really. I mainly do my h/w at school because I have a ridiculous timetable. E.g tomorrow I have P4, 5 & 6 but I have to go in at 8.35 because of stupid assembly:hmpf: so I use my frees to do most of my hw so I don't have to do anything at home. I can just chillax :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    8.35?! that's a bit too early isn't it if you're classes won't start till 12-ish. Can't u go home after the assembly or are u forced to stay in the school grounds?

Lucky, I try to study at school but most of the time I get distracted by my classmates. It's pretty hard to revise at home cause of the internet and games and in the library, I keep going out to get food...... Luckily, I passed my mocks though except for French.

Have you done your mocks yet?

ReputationRep:
    8.35?! that's a bit too early isn't it if you're classes won't start till 12-ish. Can't u go home after the assembly or are u forced to stay in the school grounds?

Lucky, I try to study at school but most of the time I get distracted by my classmates. It's pretty hard to revise at home cause of the internet and games and in the library, I keep going out to get food...... Luckily, I passed my mocks though except for French.

Have you done your mocks yet?
    Yep, finished mocks last week. Horrible. I flopped them all Getting the results in the next few weeks. Ahhh, French! Dropped that stuff at AS. No regrets. Can't believe I liked it at GCSE. Were those your only mocks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yep, finished mocks last week. Horrible. I flopped them all Getting the results in the next few weeks. Ahhh, French! Dropped that stuff at AS. No regrets. Can't believe I liked it at GCSE. Were those your only mocks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ouch.... I'm sure you did fine. What grades are you aiming for? Oo0 You took French!? Seriously? Sorry, I mean no offence but a language in A-level...... Yeesh

Uhh.... are you talking about the subjects i did in the mocks or if that was the last mock I will do before my actual exam?

P.S.

ReputationRep:
    Ouch.... I'm sure you did fine. What grades are you aiming for? Oo0 You took French!? Seriously? Sorry, I mean no offence but a language in A-level...... Yeesh

Uhh.... are you talking about the subjects i did in the mocks or if that was the last mock I will do before my actual exam?

P.S.

None taken, dropped it last year after I got a C. Actually pretty much everyone got a C in my class. So that made me feel better. They said we all would get As/Bs but alas...

I'm not aiming for anything in my mocks. They're unimportant (apart from the fact that they'll go on my report) Last year I got an E in one of my maths mocks and I came out of the real thing with an A so I tend not to put much stock into mocks. After all for the real thing I'll have had months of revision.

When's your first exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    None taken, dropped it last year after I got a C. Actually pretty much everyone got a C in my class. So that made me feel better. They said we all would get As/Bs but alas...

I'm not aiming for anything in my mocks. They're unimportant (apart from the fact that they'll go on my report) Last year I got an E in one of my maths mocks and I came out of the real thing with an A so I tend not to put much stock into mocks. After all for the real thing I'll have had months of revision.

When's your first exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A C is still impressive though especially since it's a language unless you're more of a linguist. Congrats on your Maths grade btw 🎉

My first exam is on the middle-ish of may. I think it's either an English or iCT exam. What about you?

P.S.

ReputationRep:
    A C is still impressive though especially since it's a language unless you're more of a linguist. Congrats on your Maths grade btw 🎉

My first exam is on the middle-ish of may. I think it's either an English or iCT exam. What about you?

P.S.

Thanks but got my mock grade for C3 back today got a D. My first is 20th May for S3. Hassle. Second and third are 3rd June. Got sooo many clashes this year. Have you looked up the 2015 exam timetable yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks but got my mock grade for C3 back today got a D. My first is 20th May for S3. Hassle. Second and third are 3rd June. Got sooo many clashes this year. Have you looked up the 2015 exam timetable yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    At least that's a pass, right?

Clashes? ouch, sorry bout that. Btw, when two or more exams clashes, do you have to do the other on November? Cause, I was looking at the schedules and it says November (provisional)

For the exams? Yup, it took me 2 hours to look up all the dates, verify the data with the teachers and structure it to arrange them by date..... yeah, I really should've done something more productive. I'm really happy though since I already did 2 subjects last years, I have less exams to take than the majority of my year.

P.S.

ReputationRep:
    At least that's a pass, right?

Clashes? ouch, sorry bout that. Btw, when two or more exams clashes, do you have to do the other on November? Cause, I was looking at the schedules and it says November (provisional)

For the exams? Yup, it took me 2 hours to look up all the dates, verify the data with the teachers and structure it to arrange them by date..... yeah, I really should've done something more productive. I'm really happy though since I already did 2 subjects last years, I have less exams to take than the majority of my year.

P.S.

Nope. In the event of a clash you do one after another. Last year I had a clash between 2 maths exams so I was stuck in the exam hall for 3 hours. Not fun. I keep on forgetting that nowadays you do most exams at the end of year 11. Poor you but at least you've got some of them out of the way

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nope. In the event of a clash you do one after another. Last year I had a clash between 2 maths exams so I was stuck in the exam hall for 3 hours. Not fun. I keep on forgetting that nowadays you do most exams at the end of year 11. Poor you but at least you've got some of them out of the way

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Apologies for the late reply, I had a pretty bad weekend so I couldn't reply till today.

3 hours!? That's a bit overkill isn't it? Aren't they worried your brain is gonna explode? And I thought my maths test was long.

Yeah, did you guys have exams during December a few years ago? A lot of people said it was better but the changes though... those were discouraging.

ReputationRep:
    Apologies for the late reply, I had a pretty bad weekend so I couldn't reply till today.

3 hours!? That's a bit overkill isn't it? Aren't they worried your brain is gonna explode? And I thought my maths test was long.

Yeah, did you guys have exams during December a few years ago? A lot of people said it was better but the changes though... those were discouraging.
    They don't care if our brains explode. So inconsiderate. We didn't have December exams but there was a November series. Never actually did a November exam but I had quite a few January exams. They were so nice because if you flopped you could always resit and if you did well it took some pressure off when June came around.

Shame they got rid of January exams for A levels too. Tories and their stupid reforms

What exam board are you doing for maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They don't care if our brains explode. So inconsiderate. We didn't have December exams but there was a November series. Never actually did a November exam but I had quite a few January exams. They were so nice because if you flopped you could always resit and if you did well it took some pressure off when June came around.

Shame they got rid of January exams for A levels too. Tories and their stupid reforms

What exam board are you doing for maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Seriously?! Do u guys at least get a party or something after the exams?

Yeah, I wish I had that for every exam cause the only subject I can take a re-sit on is ICT and that's only because my ICT qualification won't be affected by the changes till 2017.

Gosh, i hate the reforms. I mean, I'm all about improving things and all that but he basically said that the current GCSE is too easy. What do u think future employers or maybe unis will think about that. :mad:

Oh, I'm doing Edexcel linear maths. What about u? in A-levels i mean, cause apparently there's this maths exam board called f something or other that's ridiculously hard or maybe that's just me since I was looking at an A2 exam paper.

Btw, sorry for the late reply, I'm currently doing this coursework for ICT. It was supposed to be due yesterday but I managed to get an extension. Thank you whoever's up there

ReputationRep:
    Seriously?! Do u guys at least get a party or something after the exams?

Yeah, I wish I had that for every exam cause the only subject I can take a re-sit on is ICT and that's only because my ICT qualification won't be affected by the changes till 2017.

Gosh, i hate the reforms. I mean, I'm all about improving things and all that but he basically said that the current GCSE is too easy. What do u think future employers or maybe unis will think about that. :mad:

Oh, I'm doing Edexcel linear maths. What about u? in A-levels i mean, cause apparently there's this maths exam board called f something or other that's ridiculously hard or maybe that's just me since I was looking at an A2 exam paper.

Btw, sorry for the late reply, I'm currently doing this coursework for ICT. It was supposed to be due yesterday but I managed to get an extension. Thank you whoever's up there
    No party but we get a leaver's breakfast before and prom after. Yeah I totally agree about reforms. It's all politicking. Every year they complain about grade inflation but they never consider the fact that students and teachers are getting better at passing exams.

I did Edexcel for GCSE Maths and Statistics, OCR for additional maths and Edexcel for A level. I think most people do Edexcel. It's decent and has a good range of units. You were lucky about the extension some teachers are nasty

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No party but we get a leaver's breakfast before and prom after. Yeah I totally agree about reforms. It's all politicking. Every year they complain about grade inflation but they never consider the fact that students and teachers are getting better at passing exams.

I did Edexcel for GCSE Maths and Statistics, OCR for additional maths and Edexcel for A level. I think most people do Edexcel. It's decent and has a good range of units. You were lucky about the extension some teachers are nasty

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A leaver's breakfast? Is that literally a breakfast or a misleading word like perfect in the context of tenses.

Yeah, I don't really get that either. i mean, it's so sad that once the results go up, they're all like "OMg, the exams got easier" instead of "Hey, you know the kids today are getting smarter or are smarter than the years before".

Additional maths in GCSE? I've heard of that but I don't exactly know what it is. What's it like? Is it like basic further maths or a more in-depth study of the average gcse maths?

Yeah, although, I think it's because my teacher's expecting a ridiculously high grade from my work. The pressure is like wow..... 😁 (is that the right emoji?)

P.S.

ReputationRep:
    A leaver's breakfast? Is that literally a breakfast or a misleading word like perfect in the context of tenses.

Yeah, I don't really get that either. i mean, it's so sad that once the results go up, they're all like "OMg, the exams got easier" instead of "Hey, you know the kids today are getting smarter or are smarter than the years before".

Additional maths in GCSE? I've heard of that but I don't exactly know what it is. What's it like? Is it like basic further maths or a more in-depth study of the average gcse maths?

Yeah, although, I think it's because my teacher's expecting a ridiculously high grade from my work. The pressure is like wow..... 😁 (is that the right emoji?)

P.S.

It is literally a breakfast (but not a nice one). Additional Maths is a free standing maths qualifications that my school forced on everyone who finished GCSE in Yr 10. It's basically a mixture of C1 and C2 with a bit of D1 thrown in for good measure. It is not pleasant especially when you're forced to do do the exam and you haven't been taught all the course. I got a U which I had to put on my UCAS as a FAIL Only now my school decide to ditch Add Maths.

Teachers who expect lots from you are by far the worst, aren't they? I commiserate with you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It is literally a breakfast (but not a nice one). Additional Maths is a free standing maths qualifications that my school forced on everyone who finished GCSE in Yr 10. It's basically a mixture of C1 and C2 with a bit of D1 thrown in for good measure. It is not pleasant especially when you're forced to do do the exam and you haven't been taught all the course. I got a U which I had to put on my UCAS as a FAIL Only now my school decide to ditch Add Maths.

Teachers who expect lots from you are by far the worst, aren't they? I commiserate with you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow...... uh, if it helps, at least you get free food right? Nobody can argue with free food. What's on the menu? Please tell me you guys at least get pancakes

That's insane, they can't just send you to an exam you only sort of know about. Sorry bout that, I'm sure you're other grades balanced them out. When did u guys start GCSE maths? Year 9?

D1. Ooh, I wanted to do that as part of my A-level course but apparently, in my school, if you're not doing further, you can only do statistics. It was a bit disappointing since D1 was connected to computer science.

Thanks, I mean I know they're (well most of them) just trying to help you get a high grade but it makes me feel worse when they expect too much of me and since, most of the time, you like the subject you're excelling in, you can't get away from it. At least someone understands. I tried to tell my classmate but they just said it's nothing, but to them it is nothing considering they're aiming for straight A*s (I'm not really sure how we became close considering I'm just aiming for Bs and maybe a few As except for French but life's weird like that)

P.S.

ReputationRep:
    Wow...... uh, if it helps, at least you get free food right? Nobody can argue with free food. What's on the menu? Please tell me you guys at least get pancakes

That's insane, they can't just send you to an exam you only sort of know about. Sorry bout that, I'm sure you're other grades balanced them out. When did u guys start GCSE maths? Year 9?

D1. Ooh, I wanted to do that as part of my A-level course but apparently, in my school, if you're not doing further, you can only do statistics. It was a bit disappointing since D1 was connected to computer science.

Thanks, I mean I know they're (well most of them) just trying to help you get a high grade but it makes me feel worse when they expect too much of me and since, most of the time, you like the subject you're excelling in, you can't get away from it. At least someone understands. I tried to tell my classmate but they just said it's nothing, but to them it is nothing considering they're aiming for straight A*s (I'm not really sure how we became close considering I'm just aiming for Bs and maybe a few As except for French but life's weird like that)

P.S.

Nice food? Huh, stale croissants, nasty bacon and fruit. Unfortunately no pancakes

I was in set 1 so we started GCSEs in year 9. D1 is actually one the best units. Most of its quite easy but the main issue is timing. In the Yr 12 mocks, I got an E because I didn't finish the paper and the grade boundaries are really high and even though I got an A in the real thing I had to skip a question so that I could at least start the last question with 4 minutes to go. Anyway I heard they were getting rid of Decision maths and putting it into computing. Such a shame.

Eesh your friends are aiming for straight A*s. Seriously?! I got 7 and ti this day I am still bitter. Incompetent teachers who can't mark controlled assessments. You know something gone wrong when you do better in physics than biology. But seriously simetimes exams are luck. When you've just done an exam and you're forced to do another one straight after it's not as if you're gonna be at your best but I'm sure you'll do better than you think you will

ReputationRep:
    Nice food? Huh, stale croissants, nasty bacon and fruit. Unfortunately no pancakes

I was in set 1 so we started GCSEs in year 9. D1 is actually one the best units. Most of its quite easy but the main issue is timing. In the Yr 12 mocks, I got an E because I didn't finish the paper and the grade boundaries are really high and even though I got an A in the real thing I had to skip a question so that I could at least start the last question with 4 minutes to go. Anyway I heard they were getting rid of Decision maths and putting it into computing. Such a shame.

Eesh your friends are aiming for straight A*s. Seriously?! I got 7 and ti this day I am still bitter. Incompetent teachers who can't mark controlled assessments. You know something gone wrong when you do better in physics than biology. But seriously simetimes exams are luck. When you've just done an exam and you're forced to do another one straight after it's not as if you're gonna be at your best but I'm sure you'll do better than you think you will
    That is just..., wow. You know something's wrong when breakfast is still bad even with bacon (unless you know, you can't cause of religion or culture).

You must be really good in maths if you managed to pass gcse maths in yr 10.

4minutes?! Did u at least finish the question? At least you get the A though, that's what really matters.

Why would they get rid of D1 that's one of the only reason why I'm choosing maths and continuing it to A2. That's a bit unfair. Is it gonna be implemented next year?

Yeah, seriously and they're actually trying to blackmail and even bribe me to get A*s (except for French, they know better than that). 7? What did u get for GCSEs? Oh and don't get me started on Controlled Assessments. In the CAs I had so far, they all brought me down. In chem and bio, my lowest grade was on my CAs. The former was a grade worse while the latter is 2 whole grades worse.

I dunno, maybe it's because you're better in maths so you're better in physics. That's generally what happens, people who are good in maths are good in physics and vice versa.

Thanks, I hope I don't get consecutive exams though or my brain will explode. Good luck on yours.

P.S.

ReputationRep:
    That is just..., wow. You know something's wrong when breakfast is still bad even with bacon (unless you know, you can't cause of religion or culture).

You must be really good in maths if you managed to pass gcse maths in yr 10.

4minutes?! Did u at least finish the question? At least you get the A though, that's what really matters.

Why would they get rid of D1 that's one of the only reason why I'm choosing maths and continuing it to A2. That's a bit unfair. Is it gonna be implemented next year?

Yeah, seriously and they're actually trying to blackmail and even bribe me to get A*s (except for French, they know better than that). 7? What did u get for GCSEs? Oh and don't get me started on Controlled Assessments. In the CAs I had so far, they all brought me down. In chem and bio, my lowest grade was on my CAs. The former was a grade worse while the latter is 2 whole grades worse.

I dunno, maybe it's because you're better in maths so you're better in physics. That's generally what happens, people who are good in maths are good in physics and vice versa.

Thanks, I hope I don't get consecutive exams though or my brain will explode. Good luck on yours.

P.S.

I actually like bacon but this was on a whole other level of bad.

I got 7A*s and 5As. As in Maths, Stats, History, Biology and German.

I didn't finish the question but I think I got some method marks.

I swear just because you're good at maths doesn't mean you're good at physics. I am currently failing M1 sooo bad. I'm decent at maths but definitely not great. Gotta start revising in earnest. Have you started yours yet?

Yeah consecutive exams are disgusting but you just have to suck it up

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered welcome lounge threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.