Turn on thread page Beta

How strictly is the mobile phone ban enforced at your school? watch

ReputationRep:
    It isnt because the teachers dont understand the dangers/ efffects of EMF radiation have childs brain. If they knew, they would ban it, like they do in other parts of Europe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aria Enoshima)
    One of my pals had her phone confiscated while she was at lunch on prefect duty. And in that room there seems to allways be a craptonne of little year 7 upstarts being dumb but nooo they decide to go for the prefect trying to have some kind of sensibility and not help her, but take away her pride and joy.
    I think they try not to offend the Year 7s as the teachers don't want them to have bad memories of the school for the next 7 years in being told off for being immature and dumb...

I personally think students should have some say in the rules (I don't meaning anything radical, but still have some input).
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Mr...)
    If teachers can't see it then you don't have one though some are quite lenient...
    You can only use it one the reading period. Also if you have it on at 3:30 but you're in school then your fine.
    It differs from teacher to teacher :yep:
    Some of my friends have had (immediate) detentions for having their phones go off in a lesson. Since that happened I've always made sure that mine is on silent and that it's off too! :eek:

It's kind of hard to explain our policy but I'd say it's pretty strict... which is good imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andersonsophie_8)
    It isnt because the teachers dont understand the dangers/ efffects of EMF radiation have childs brain. If they knew, they would ban it, like they do in other parts of Europe.
    I've had a phone since Year 7 and I don't remember my brain being affected in any way (I'm currently in Year 11, by the way).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flibber)
    I think they try not to offend the Year 7s as the teachers don't want them to have bad memories of the school for the next 7 years in being told off for being immature and dumb...

I personally think students should have some say in the rules (I don't meaning anything radical, but still have some input).
    Thats true, although my sister had bad memory's of my school (she's year 7) because of being smart and mature.
    I think deputy/head boy/girl have some kinda say on the rules, but i doubt they can even change that since staff is convinved banning phones is bad but having a wi-fi password that is the wi-fi connection's name is a smart idea.
    If they had a harder wi-fi password, nobody would use IM in the knowledge it would cost them. I know i wouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aria Enoshima)
    Thats true, although my sister had bad memory's of my school (she's year 7) because of being smart and mature.
    I think deputy/head boy/girl have some kinda say on the rules, but i doubt they can even change that since staff is convinved banning phones is bad but having a wi-fi password that is the wi-fi connection's name is a smart idea.
    If they had a harder wi-fi password, nobody would use IM in the knowledge it would cost them. I know i wouldn't.
    Was that sarcastic?

ReputationRep:
    Was that sarcastic?
    Well, the name of the connection is the password. But thinking about it, who would try to hack into the internet and try the name of the connection?

ReputationRep:
    I actually browse the internet in half my classes and no one cares much. Like, some do, but it's just complaining. My Spanish teacher has begun to make us put all our phones in one common space when we write exams and that's it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viridiana)
    I actually browse the internet in half my classes and no one cares much. Like, some do, but it's just complaining. My Spanish teacher has begun to make us put all our phones in one common space when we write exams and that's it.
    Your school makes mine look super strict

May Allah help me in my quest to make the rules a bit more lenient.

ReputationRep:
    Mine wasn't too strict.

You weren't allowed to have them turned on in lessons. At one point I don't think you were allowed them on at all in the school grounds but that was only ever enforced by one or two staff occasionally because it's a pretty stupid rule. I never had mine confiscated, and from what I saw it wasn't too regular an occurrence for most others either.

It's not like the stupid schools that have a complete ban on even having them at all on school grounds.

ReputationRep:
    It was fairly strict in the lower school - during the day phones had to be turned off and out of sight; if you were seen using it, it could be confiscated and you had to collect it at the end of the day from the deputy head (although many teachers were more lenient and just gave it back at the end of the lesson, as long as you hadn't thrown a tantrum over it).

In the sixth form, you can't use them in lessons unless given direct permission (e.g. the computers weren't working in one lesson and we were allowed to use phones for research); however this is more to do with politeness really. You can't have your phone out in most of the school grounds (where the younger pupils can see them), but sixth form only areas/closed classrooms/tutor bases are fine.

ReputationRep:
    At my school even the sixth formers could only technically use it in the Sixth Form canteen.

Are sixth formers badly behaved at your school?
    No we're a really good sixth form, most people are well behaved and there are never many behavioral issues. I think its because our sixth form is so huge (400 + students) and the majority of teachers are young and just starting out so they get a bit nervous.
    A lot of sixth formers don't "talk back" but they'll fight their case if they believe they're treated unfairly and can articulate good arguments - so thats also quite intimidating for a younger teacher I guess! Theres also no discipline because of this - whenever a teacher tries to tell someone off they'll end up having a laugh with students
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by karmacrunch)
    Some of my friends have had (immediate) detentions for having their phones go off in a lesson. Since that happened I've always made sure that mine is on silent and that it's off too! :eek:

It's kind of hard to explain our policy but I'd say it's pretty strict... which is good imo.
    That does happen in some lessons but our Frenchh teacher ignores it unless it happens a second time :yep:
    If you do get it taken you don't get it back until the end of the week/term though :zomg:

I think ours is really odd because teacher know we bring them... I just wish that we could use it at lunch/break :moon:
    How so?

ReputationRep:
    From year 7-11 it's super strict. No phones apart from during afternoon break (to call parents about travel arrangements or something). If seen with your phone anytime at school apart from afternoon break (even if you're not using it), it's confiscated. Though the teachers were a bit more lenient towards year 11s - most wouldn't confiscate it and instead just told you to put it away.

In sixth form, you can use your phone whenever but only in the common room - so not in classes etc., or else confiscation. But again, teachers are more lenient towards the sixth formers.

ReputationRep:
    I've had a phone since Year 7 and I don't remember my brain being affected in any way (I'm currently in Year 11, by the way).
    Bless, honey you need to look into cell phone effects on brain. Especially as you have been using it for so long. Ive known a time before kids had mobile phones and I can certainly tell you there is an effect. Kids are more hyper these days. Brain cancer has also become the number one reason why children are being hospitalised. And it is no longer accidents

Dr. Barry Trower is a world's top expert in this field. When you have time, watch the delow clips and we can speak about in detail if you wish.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjoe4_ceH3Y

ReputationRep:
    Your school makes mine look super strict

May Allah help me in my quest to make the rules a bit more lenient.
    Yeah but I live in another country and we have a different system. You spend 4h/subject/week at school and nothing more, right? For us it's like 35 h /week minimum (overall) and half of that is useless crap, so it's neither possible not useful to stay focused all the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viridiana)
    Yeah but I live in another country and we have a different system. You spend 4h/subject/week at school and nothing more, right? For us it's like 35 h /week minimum (overall) and half of that is useless crap, so it's neither possible not useful to stay focused all the time.
    Let me guess.. is it in Spain?

ReputationRep:
    Let me guess.. is it in Spain?
    Nope, Poland, although I'm taking Polish and Spanish A-levels at the same time so we could say you're half right :P

Currently I spend 7-7-7-7-6 hours at school, but I've got myself a leave for PE and RE which would be additional 5 hours. Before I got myself said leave, my Monday and Tuesday were 9 hours of class from 7.10 to 15.45 and it takes me an hour to commute each day (2 hours both ways)... sucks

ReputationRep:
    Quite honestly they don't care. I don't use my phone in lesson but others do. It is actually just quite embarrassing as it obviously annoys the teacher as it is just rude - wait until after class!

ReputationRep:
    lower down in the school it's really strict (confiscated if teachers see it). As you get older the rule relaxes. In 6th form it really depends on the teacher. Some don't care, others will treat you like a year 7 and take it if they see it (rarely happens though).

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.