Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

6th formers, do you think you'd do better with 100% independent study? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    But if it's 100% independent then there is no point in being a part of the college surely? You won't gain anything from going there, so you may as well just do it by yourself.
    But if you did it by yourself, you'd never know if you were right or wrong. The whole point of having tutors around is to direct your studies. Even if it was 100% independent, i.e. they never teach by rote in class, they'd still be setting assignments and telling you what to look at next. The difference is, you'd be making your own approach to the topic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Clockwork Apple)
    perhaps even the languages can (IMO) be done independently.
    Maybe they can be, but I certainly wouldn't like to do it! The literature aspect for me would be almost impossible (although I don't think the book we're studying helps) and it's really useful having input from friends and teachers about speaking (the best way to express ideas, and indeed the ideas and opinions themselves)

Of course, the language aspect itself is not the problem, it's improving how I use it which I wouldn't be able to do on my own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NineBurgundy)
    But if you did it by yourself, you'd never know if you were right or wrong. The whole point of having tutors around is to direct your studies. Even if it was 100% independent, i.e. they never teach by rote in class, they'd still be setting assignments and telling you what to look at next. The difference is, you'd be making your own approach to the topic.
    I get what your saying, for example for M1 last year. I got it so easily that I felt that 90% of the lessons were wasted for me.
    However, the 10% that helped allowed me to get the mark that I did(100%).
    I do think that lessons help on the whole, even if a lot of the time doesn't help.

ReputationRep:
    That's how I learned throughout my time at school and also currently at uni. Teaching/lecturing is a waste of time if you are even moderately intelligent
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by eggpotato)
    Yes. Not 100% independent obviously - you should still be able to [when needed] ask teachers questions, get them to mark essays etc.
    But I can't stress how much time I feel is wasted by attending lessons. I'm definitely a lot more productive on my own. I only listen for about 10 mins away in a lesson and then I zone out. But when I work in my own time/own my own, I'm more focused.
    This basically.

Speaking of which... I have an essay to write!

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends. With some subjects/ topics its quite easy to do 100% independent study. It also depends on the quality of the textbook (the AQA Economics textbook is soo wordy) and the other resources available to you. I do Further Maths but I'm doing S3 and S4 instead of FP3 and M2 so l do S3 and S4 independently. Some chapters are easier than others and some parts of the textbook explains things way more clearly than others but the downside of doing less common units is the lack of resources. No past paper packs, no exam solutions, no teachers for clarification, no one on your case and monitoring your progress.
    I think that if you're going to do 100% independent study you either need to be:
    a) really dedicated, or
    b) good at the subject or
    c) have excellent resources available to you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aly418)
    I think it depends. With some subjects/ topics its quite easy to do 100% independent study. It also depends on the quality of the textbook (the AQA Economics textbook is soo wordy) and the other resources available to you. I do Further Maths but I'm doing S3 and S4 instead of FP3 and M2 so l do S3 and S4 independently. Some chapters are easier than others and some parts of the textbook explains things way more clearly than others but the downside of doing less common units is the lack of resources. No past paper packs
    You can make notes and your own resources if you can't learn from the textbook, which is what I am doing at the moment. Also we are told to print off past papers from the exam board website, OCR for me (so now you know) and also most of the studying has to be independent anyway, not that we are given enough time for actual learning as it is

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I completely get what you're saying but I'm a bit spoilt. My school makes us Past Paper packs (which include some of the older papers like back from 2001 for S1 and some of the latest ones which aren't available without a password) gives us revision notes etc and I can't imagine having gotten my head around FP2 complex numbers or FP3 3x3 matrices although I've probably forgotten by now but like last year I'll probably just relearn it from doing Past Papers which I admit are great for learning how little working out you can get away with ;-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aly418)
    Yeah I completely get what you're saying but I'm a bit spoilt. My school makes us Past Paper packs (which include some of the older papers like back from 2001 for S1 and some of the latest ones which aren't available without a password) gives us revision notes etc and I can't imagine having gotten my head around FP2 complex numbers or FP3 3x3 matrices although I've probably forgotten by now but like last year I'll probably just relearn it from doing Past Papers which I admit are great for learning how little working out you can get away with ;-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I find writing the notes makes it stick in my head and I'm doing all right in Chemistry (it is the hardest subject, won't be told otherwise) you could say (went from U to A on remock), having to basically self teach it, as the infomation. comes so quickly in lessons and on top of that we have to tear through the note making before the slide moves on and we fall behind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gott der Zweite)
    I find writing the notes makes it stick in my head and I'm doing all right in Chemistry (it is the hardest subject, won't be told otherwise) you could say (went from U to A on remock), having to basically self teach it, as the infomation. comes so quickly in lessons and on top of that we have to tear through the note making before the slide moves on and we fall behind
    Additional further maths is harder than chemistry. You can't refute that.

ReputationRep:
    Additional further maths is harder than chemistry. You can't refute that.
    I don't, I got a U in add maths lol

ReputationRep:
    I don't, I got a U in add maths lol
    You do additional further? AQA don't offer it so I'm kind of just doing the modules for AS for the sake of it.

ReputationRep:
    The things is alto fo people who say they are independent learners are actually lazy skivers that don't want to go to lessons or actually do much work :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    You do additional further? AQA don't offer it so I'm kind of just doing the modules for AS for the sake of it.
    No the additional maths we did with GCSE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    The things is alto fo people who say they are independent learners are actually lazy skivers that don't want to go to lessons or actually do much work :indiff:
    There speaks a procrastinator

ReputationRep:
    There speaks a procrastinator
    Maybe I'm talking from personal experience.

I worked very hard for my BCC (May TSR have mercy on my soul) I'll have you know.

After 5 years of leanring academic stuff I have come to the convulsion the best way for me is to turn up to the lecture/class make rough notes you ahve no intention of really reading again, it is just something to do to make sure you absorb at least something. Then make you own notes on the subject you covered but in such a way as if you are explaining ti to someone else, i.e. you need to be able to come back to these later on to jog your memory. Once you have understood something properly once it is reall easy to have your memory jogged later on, say for exam season.

Of course cramming and learning things for the first time right up to the exam is still inevitable.

ReputationRep:
    No, especially with Further Maths in which I have a superb teacher and a class of just 4 people. It is wonderful and his teaching style is the best I have experienced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Maybe I'm talking from personal experience.

I worked very hard for my BCC (May TSR have mercy on my soul) I'll have you know.

After 5 years of leanring academic stuff I have come to the convulsion the best way for me is to turn up to the lecture/class make rough notes you ahve no intention of really reading again, it is just something to do to make sure you absorb at least something. Then make you own notes on the subject you covered but in such a way as if you are explaining ti to someone else, i.e. you need to be able to come back to these later on to jog your memory. Once you have understood something properly once it is reall easy to have your memory jogged later on, say for exam season.

Of course cramming and learning things for the first time right up to the exam is still inevitable.
    I think autocorrect thinks you were having convulsions during maths (I would in additional further extra hard death maths or whatever it's called).

I liked a previous post's suggestion of a system where lessons were optional so there would be no problems of peoples time being wasted by something unbennofial to them but personaly I object to being expected to take notes in class where I might actualy learn something otherwise

ReputationRep:
    Hmm i'm not sure on this. I can safely say for physics most of what the teachers tell me is not to the detail required to get top grades in the exam and thus just reading the textbook and doing past papers is what I do, a method that essentially doesn't need any teachers at all. But I couldn't imagine not going to school like ever, I would just become a bum who sits around and eventually gives up with education loool. I feel that the competitive environment with students and wanting to prove teachers wrong who doubt you etc makes school a useful tool when it comes to performing well in exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sneakbo2)
    Hmm i'm not sure on this. I can safely say for physics most of what the teachers tell me is not to the detail required to get top grades in the exam and thus just reading the textbook and doing past papers is what I do, a method that essentially doesn't need any teachers at all. But I couldn't imagine not going to school like ever, I would just become a bum who sits around and eventually gives up with education loool. I feel that the competitive environment with students and wanting to prove teachers wrong who doubt you etc makes school a useful tool when it comes to performing well in exams.
    Lessons could be optional with regular examinations and folder checks e.c.t

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.