Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

BPTC Website DOWN?? watch

ReputationRep:
    Kepp trying guys - mine has just gone through.

ReputationRep:
    Mine has just gone through as well - but I think they have extended the deadline anyway, so nobody need worry.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't heard that they have extended the deadline - I have submitted but I think it is pretty bad of them.

EDIT - I mean bad of them not to let people know, not bad that they have extended it.

ReputationRep:
    So they have now put a message on confirming that the deadline has been extended. Fingers crossed it actually starts to work by then. I am glad I got mine in but it is a little annoying as while I am sure it was all ok, I did not get the chance to go back over all the sections to check them.

So I was just wondering - in terms of references what have you all done? I have put them in on the application but should it have been submitted with my application? I have had both agree to be refs but have not advised them on what to do so far.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    That's a good point - I'm not sure. I know that the references have to be received WITHIN TWO WEEKS of submission. How that is done, I am not sure. Possibly will have to wait until this kerfuffle is over before we can expect to email the Bar Standards Board about it and receive a reply.

I physically went to the Bar Standards Board building this morning, and they said that they and Barsas were inundated with emails at the moment. So best to wait a few days before we ask them about references.

ReputationRep:
    Ah - I've found this https://www.barsas.com/barsas/BarSAS...nt%20Guide.pdf

3. References in support of the application
    a) There is no official deadline for the submission of references however applicants should advise their referees to submit their references as soon as possible. In the first round, applications will not become visible to Providers unless at least ONE of the references has been attached.
    b) If a reference has not been received two weeks after the applicant has submitted their application, an automated email will be sent to the nominated referees. Applicants are still encouraged to check on the status of their application and see if both references have been supplied.
    c) If an applicant has continued problems securing a reference, the referee can be replaced with an alternative.
    d) Academic references are preferable to personal references and at least one must be academic.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that - the part that I do not understand is the "applications will not become visible to Providers unless at least ONE of the references has been attached". I have not attached any to my application so does this mean the providers cannot yet see my application? I guess I will have to ask the BSB when this all calms down. Currently I have not told my refs what to say or where to send it as it does not say.

ReputationRep:
    So like everyone else I managed to click 'submit my application' and then pay. I have a receipt from WorldPay for the payment but no other confirmation from Barsas that my application was submitted... slightly worried as I can still access my application on 'return to application not submitted'.. and if I try to track my application I get a strange error message. Anyone else having this problem?

ReputationRep:
    On the subject of references, one of mine who is a professional reference from non-legal work (ie. they're not familiar with the BPTC requirements) is asking what kind of thing should be included, and where/when they should send it. Does anyone have any insight into this at all?

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone received a response from BarSAS or BSB on any queries?

Both my referees are saying that they have not received any request for a reference, but the BarSAS site says these have been sent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by typonaut)
    Has anyone received a response from BarSAS or BSB on any queries?

Both my referees are saying that they have not received any request for a reference, but the BarSAS site says these have been sent.
    I'll be checking with one of my referees again later today re whether they've received anything yet, so will post here afterwards with any news.

ReputationRep:
    Neither of mine have heard anything - one my application it says that one of them has been received. No idea what is going on.

Also - no I have not heard anything back from them. Very annoying.

ReputationRep:
    Just checked last night and one of my referees has definitely received an e-mail from BarSAS, though he'll be writing the reference soon, so isn't sure what it says yet.

ReputationRep:
    Just got a wonderful email from the BarSAS technical support team:

Dear d’Artagnan,
    Thank you for applying to the Bar Student Application Service
    Application Reference number: 987654321

Your application to the first round of Barsas system has been successfully submitted.

Your application is being processed and no further action is required from yourself.

Any emails you have sent to technical support will not be responded to on the basis
    that you have successfully submitted and will hear in due course.

Kind regards

BarSAS Team
    Bar Student Application Service
    Hmm, seems to say that if you have a query we're not interested because your form has been submitted - so don't write to us again!?

ReputationRep:
    Ah, well perhaps that was the start of clearing the jam, because one of my refs has mailed me to say he received the request.

ReputationRep:
    Both of my references have received a request from BARSAS and both of them have completed and submitted.
    It says on BARSAS now that both have been received but it then it does say they are 'not checked' next to it......no idea what this means.
    Also it seems I need to upload evidence of joining the Inn and of passing the BCAT. Has anyone done this yet? I am not sure what exactly to upload - scans of letters/BCAT result acceptable. I have no idea at all.
    It also says there is a check needed by the BSB - no idea what that is either.
    Emails BSB and BARSAS and no response

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sar2004)
    Also it seems I need to upload evidence of joining the Inn and of passing the BCAT. Has anyone done this yet? I am not sure what exactly to upload - scans of letters/BCAT result acceptable. I have no idea at all.
    No idea re what evidence needs to be uploaded - I've looked everywhere to no avail. I joined my Inn a couple of years ago, so I don't know where the acceptance letter is, but I've uploaded a scan of my membership card (no idea if that's 'sufficient proof' though!)

ReputationRep:
    It's not totally clear to me that you actually need to upload this evidence right now. The time table here:

https://www.barstandardsboard.org.uk...ptc-timetable/

indicates that the BCAT can be taken up to 7 September and you need to join an inn by 31 May. So, I've presumed that you get a conditional offer, on the basis of doing the aforementioned. But there doesn't seem to be any information on this either way (though it would seem odd that your application is complete - you have paid and can't edit it - but that you cannot progress until you've uploaded those two documents).

I am already a member of and inn, but didn't see the point in doing the BCAT yet if it isn't needed for an offer (!?).

ReputationRep:
    I am already a member of and inn, but didn't see the point in doing the BCAT yet if it isn't needed for an offer (!?).
    Agreed re the BCAT. I probably wouldn't wait till the very last minute though!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    It's not totally clear to me that you actually need to upload this evidence right now. The time table here:

https://www.barstandardsboard.org.uk...ptc-timetable/

indicates that the BCAT can be taken up to 7 September and you need to join an inn by 31 May. So, I've presumed that you get a conditional offer, on the basis of doing the aforementioned. But there doesn't seem to be any information on this either way (though it would seem odd that your application is complete - you have paid and can't edit it - but that you cannot progress until you've uploaded those two documents).

HI typonaut,

You need to complete the Bar Standards Board Conditions of offer. Once you have met the condition of offer, there is a section of the application system that allows you to upload confirmation documents. Applicants do not need to confirm you have met these conditions to receive an offer; however, it is advisable that you do notify the system as soon as you have.

I hope this helps

Thanks
    Lucy

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.