Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just went through the pros and cons of the colleges and I am considering Newnham, Trinity Hall and Gonville and Caius

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering Newnham, Jesus College and St. Johns. I'd have to visit again to make up my mind for certain though; last time I applied to Downing on a whim but then found the internal architecture to be dull and uninspiring, so I want to make a more informed decision this time around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rovensie)
    Hello

I posted my details and as you can see I was also rejected for HSPS... And my interest is on the social side as well, and my ps mainly consisted of things about sociology and social anthropology.

Please do PM me when you decide to reapply again. I would be glad if I can discuss about things with someone who had the same experience

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah sure! I'll try to make up my mind soon.
    So you'll take a gap year or move a year down?

ReputationRep:
    I need some advice on whether I should drop my fourth A-Level French. I'm taking maths, history and psychology as well and I'm more likely to get higher grades in those three.
    However I'm not sure whether dropping French would disadvantage my re-application. I only got 80% in AS French

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aprilsfls)
    Yeah sure! I'll try to make up my mind soon.
    So you'll take a gap year or move a year down?
    A gap year I think. I will still do a levels, but not at school. The teachers won't be able to help me with it anyway, so I'll just learn it myself then I can spare some time for my readings and voluntary work

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I need some advice on whether I should drop my fourth A-Level French. I'm taking maths, history and psychology as well and I'm more likely to get higher grades in those three.
    However I'm not sure whether dropping French would disadvantage my re-application. I only got 80% in AS French
    What about resitting the exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thedutchchick)
    Hi, thanks for your reply! I did use all four of my medicine choices. Medical schools in the Netherlands accept students who achieve an 8 out of 10 or higher and I'm predicted to score a 9 out of 10 average, so studying medicine in Holland won't pose a problem. However, my dream has been and still is studying in the UK, and preferably in London or Cambridge. I grew up with the English culture and language (my father is English), so pursuing a career in England seemed logical and desirable to me.
    If I were to reapply I'd study way more for the BMAT; the 2nd section, which was the section one could've revised for, was what killed the rest of my score. That's why I'm considering a gap year and reapplying; earn more money, learn a language, study for my BMAT, strengthen my application by doing more volunteering etc.
    Do you think it would be worth it to try reapplying in that case?

And wbu? Did you get offers from other choices?
    Tbh you only ever get one shot at medicine at places like UCL, Imperial and Cambridge. If you haven't been rejected yet by the London universities there's still hope. If you don't want to go to your fourth choice or your biomed choice then you have nothing to lose by taking a year out, but take into account the fact that top universities are STRONGLY biased against gap year students, no matter how much you do. You would have to cure Ebola to make them more likely to accept you. Again, studying medicine in the UK might look less attractive if your options are Hull-York or your house job is at mid staffs. If you were to apply again you'd lose nothing by putting one or two ambitious choices on your application, but taking a gap year seriously devalues you as a candidate, so lie and say everyone in the Netherlands takes a gap year, and see if you can get some work in a lab or doing something more academic in a hospital.
    Again, best of luck, Olly.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge did say at one of their subject days that they don't really consider 4th A Levels (unless you're planning on applying to Churchill) as not all schools allow their students to take them, so it wouldn't be fair. Also, you could be focusing time spent on French on getting your 3 best A Levels up to the best possible grade. What are you applying for?

ReputationRep:
    If you want to reapply go to the Oxbridge Residential Preparation Courses in Wokefield Park. They're very helpful - probably the best support in an Oxbridge application you can get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurtleberrySoup)
    Cambridge did say at one of their subject days that they don't really consider 4th A Levels (unless you're planning on applying to Churchill) as not all schools allow their students to take them, so it wouldn't be fair. Also, you could be focusing time spent on French on getting your 3 best A Levels up to the best possible grade. What are you applying for?
    That's great to know! Thank you so much I'm applying for HSPS and French actually seems to be the least relevant subject amongst my four A-Levels. I'll talk to the head of sixth form and try to get him to let me drop it. I have wanted to drop it at the beginning of this academic year but he said universities might give me offers of four A-Levels, although this never happened

To Rovensie: I think I won't have to retake French AS if I drop it, that means 3 exams less this summer! And will they really look at my AS retakes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thedutchchick)
    I think that that's also gonna be the reason UCL and Imperial are going to reject me (yes, I know, 3 bmat uni's what was I thinking). . .

However, I got an offer from KCL for biomed so now I'm considering a gap year and reapplying to UCL and Imperial and Cam and doing useful stuff like reading and learning a language and working etc. . .

Sooooo what do you guys think? Will taking a gap year (BUT doing useful things instead of chilling on a beach) decrease my chances?

Firstly UCL and Imperial use BMAT differently and the threshold for interview/ offer is lower than at Cambridge. So don't give up on them until at least March.

Secondly reapplicants are common in medicine and those who use their gap year sensibly still get offers. You would be expected to reflect in your personal statement on why you didn't get a place and what you have done to improve. However it's a waste of a choice applying to anywhere you were interviewed and rejected previously.If you weren't interviewed then you can reapply. I'd suggest you look at Exeter as they are more generous to reapplicants than most.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I belong in this cohort.

Will update my info later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurtleberrySoup)
    I'm considering Newnham, Jesus College and St. Johns. I'd have to visit again to make up my mind for certain though; last time I applied to Downing on a whim but then found the internal architecture to be dull and uninspiring, so I want to make a more informed decision this time around.
    Same here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hody421)
    Aiming for at least A*A*A + A in AS (achieved) in order to re-apply!
    Same here, I'm firming Imperial but if I end up getting A*A*A*A*+1 in STEP II I will reapply. Only problem is knowing what to actually do in that year out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oclark44)
    Tbh you only ever get one shot at medicine at places like UCL, Imperial and Cambridge. If you haven't been rejected yet by the London universities there's still hope. If you don't want to go to your fourth choice or your biomed choice then you have nothing to lose by taking a year out, but take into account the fact that top universities are STRONGLY biased against gap year students, no matter how much you do. You would have to cure Ebola to make them more likely to accept you. Again, studying medicine in the UK might look less attractive if your options are Hull-York or your house job is at mid staffs. If you were to apply again you'd lose nothing by putting one or two ambitious choices on your application, but taking a gap year seriously devalues you as a candidate, so lie and say everyone in the Netherlands takes a gap year, and see if you can get some work in a lab or doing something more academic in a hospital.
    Again, best of luck, Olly.
    ?

?

ReputationRep:
    Good luck to everyone here over the next year - I'm not a reapplicant but I did want to state a bit of info an Emmanuel college admissions tutor told me: they're not keen on you reapplying to the same college, simply because the DoSes will remember you and may feel awkward because of what happened the previous year. However, you won't be disadvantaged, so if you're set on the college, there's no reason why you shouldn't go for it.

Also, 'tactical application' isn't a foolproof method at all, but you do generally have a better chance of getting in to Murray Edwards than to Trinity, so if you don't care about your college that's something to consider.

They also told me they love it when people are doing interesting and useful stuff on gap years.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by foreignbloke)
    If you want to reapply go to the Oxbridge Residential Preparation Courses in Wokefield Park. They're very helpful - probably the best support in an Oxbridge application you can get.
    For £2000?!

No.

TSR is the best support for an Oxbridge application

Oh and I just read this on their site: "Our Success rate for Premier Clients is 53%, compared to the average 19-22%." And that success rate is for their Premier Service which probably costs a lot more than £2k...

I laugh at your 53%. TSR Top posters are at 60+% Success Rate

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kolasinac138)
    Same here, I'm firming Imperial but if I end up getting A*A*A*A*+1 in STEP II I will reapply. Only problem is knowing what to actually do in that year out.
    I am planning to do work experience, voluntary and unpaid just for work experience.

I might as well do further AS's, things like Statistics 3 and 4

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't like the DoS of the previous college I applied to think of my interview again...

That's too awkward.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    I was wondering if I could get some advice. I currently have an offer from UCL for Law but my parents want me to re-apply for Cam or Oxford next year. I'm very scared because I don't know if I can get in even if I re-apply. Also, if I reject UCL now, I'm pretty sure they won't take me back next year. Should I listen to my parents and take the risk?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.