Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Guess it's because I heard Lagos is a worldwide center in scamming but it's a undeserved reputation?
    Obviously, only a few people are into scamming and it tarnishs the reputation of millions of people

ReputationRep:
    I guess it's an African thing then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WaywardWriter)
    I don't know. I don't think they have a bad 'reputation' but what I would say is that people are becoming more aware of the 419 scam

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What's the 419 scam?

ReputationRep:
    They don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jedanselemyia)
    What's the 419 scam?
    some ridiculous scam where apparently 'only' Nigerians ask for your bank details in order to steal your money.

ReputationRep:
    some ridiculous scam where apparently 'only' Nigerians ask for your bank details in order to steal your money.
    Ah I see. Ridiculous stereotypes

ReputationRep:
    I know people are to quick to accept and spread stereotypes these days

ReputationRep:
    Definitely :\

ReputationRep:
    civil wars, resource curse, terrorism, corrupt governments, coup d'etat, i think that covers it...

ReputationRep:
    This thread is kind of irrelevant... when was it decided that Nigerians have a bad reputation? I think all nationalities have some stigma but not just one particular one.

ReputationRep:
    Ignorance I suppose. Most poeple don't know the 1st thing about Nigeria, so they hear about email 419 scans and it sticks. Internet fraud is not exclusive to Nigeria. As a matter of fact, I have never received a nigerian email scam before but several spam scam from American domains. But that's just me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Truths)
    Ignorance I suppose. Most poeple don't know the 1st thing about Nigeria, so they hear about email 419 scans and it sticks. Internet fraud is not exclusive to Nigeria. As a matter of fact, I have never received a nigerian email scam before but several spam scam from American domains. But that's just me.

OMG This. so true!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JennaK)
    This thread is kind of irrelevant... when was it decided that Nigerians have a bad reputation? I think all nationalities have some stigma but not just one particular one.
    It wasn't decided, it's my personal feeling I got which seems to be untrue, fortunately!

ReputationRep:
    It's a quick and efficient way for our brains to categorising groups. It was definitely useful in the early days of humanity, but these days it does more harm than good. Most stereotypes, however, do have a degree of truth to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jibola240)
    It's a quick and efficient way for our brains to categorising groups. It was definitely useful in the early days of humanity, but these days it does more harm than good. Most stereotypes, however, do have a degree of truth to them.
    yeah that is true in some aspects, otherwise it wouldn't be a stereotype

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow I was born in Gambia! 😀.

ReputationRep:
    because of all those so called nigerian princes who phone up. Ha, I joke. Not everyone hates Nigerians, thats just generalising

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand
    Is it because of their reputation as crooks?
    Because it's one of the most powerful African countries?
    I'm not starting this thread because I'm from Nigerian descent (I'm from Gambian descent actually), by the way
    Because lots of "419" scams (reverse fee scams) and e-commerce fraud originates from Nigeria. Most card payment processors have a high risk country list and send a high risk alert flag to merchants for payments originating from high risk countries.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand
    Is it because of their reputation as crooks?
    Because it's one of the most powerful African countries?
    I'm not starting this thread because I'm from Nigerian descent (I'm from Gambian descent actually), by the way
    Right. So let me get this straight.

You asking majority white people, why Nigerians have a bad rep when it was white people who gave them that rep ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MKultra101)
    Because lots of "419" scams (reverse fee scams) and e-commerce fraud originates from Nigeria. Most card payment processors have a high risk country list and send a high risk alert flag to merchants for payments originating from high risk countries.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for clearing things up

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.