Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by debz1231)
    Actually until very recently Facebook used legacy PHP not exactly rocket science neither all that stable and being open source there are programmers all over the place.

Secondly you can build on a CMS like Drupal or Joomla... whatever. Scalable to many thousands.... and no my dear I'm not joking
    You sort of are unintentionally.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    What you need to do is find a problem and solve it. You need to make something that isn't there - that's how you make money. If you think of something you've got me interested! I want to do something like that, but I'm not creative enough

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planto)
    You have no idea what you're talking about. Building complex, high-availability, scalable, concurrent web applications like Facebook is a huge task. That doesn't change regardless of what language you're using. Saying that, PHP is only used for the web presentation layer, which (in spite of being a mammoth job for a large, experienced development team), is only the icing on the take.

A feasible back-end application infrastructure for a web app with the complexity of something like Facebook is going to be a big enough job as it stands, but when you have a high-concurrency, eventually-consistent application that is accepting millions of requests a second, the normal third-party infrastructure components that developers take for granted, such as CDNs and datastores, don't cut it any more and you need to start customizing.

You are now building your own graph database technology and eventually-consistent, decoupled read/write architectures and inventing new, innovate memcached, distributed content delivery mechanisms for efficiently reading and writing to and from hundreds of thousands of binaries a second over HTTP. You are now into the world where a "programmer" can't help you and you now need highly specialized architects - and you need the best ones in the world. Trouble is, you have no idea what you need because all you had was an "idea" and you're stumped.

And, no, you can't solve the problem of high-scalability by installing Drupal (how you expect a CMS is going to help you build a social network I've no idea - the two things are completely orthogonal).
    OP: And if you cannot understand all but the last paragraph, give up now. Seriously.

ReputationRep:
    Thought to myself why not mix my love for socializing and geeky stuff. Zuckerburg made millions and he started in college or something x

Any suggestions out there x

D
    Zuckerberg was incredibly lucky. He made something completely new. Something that was missing from the web, and was needed. If you were to create something new like him, I'd create something that takes the API's of all of the popular websites, like Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter, etc., and allows the user to do everything they want, all in one place.

No matter what you make, it sounds like my kind of project, and would LOVE to get involved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wesleigh)
    Zuckerberg was incredibly lucky.
    Not just lucky. He had... y'know. Ability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iainvg)
    OP: And if you cannot understand all but the last paragraph, give up now. Seriously.

lol. Big words never did scare me

...but thanks for the input all the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iainvg)
    Besides I said better not bigger. Everything you said for my purposes will be irrelevant... and lets say I did require such a large scale operation do you honestly think I would be doing it myself!?

Even zuckerburg crawled before he walked

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wesleigh)
    Zuckerberg was incredibly lucky. He made something completely new. Something that was missing from the web, and was needed. If you were to create something new like him, I'd create something that takes the API's of all of the popular websites, like Facebook, Snapchat, Twitter, etc., and allows the user to do everything they want, all in one place.

No matter what you make, it sounds like my kind of project, and would LOVE to get involved.
    Thank you Already have a facebook API... working on the rest

I'll inbox you more details

ReputationRep:
    You have no idea what you're talking about. Building complex, high-availability, scalable, concurrent web applications like Facebook is a huge task. That doesn't change regardless of what language you're using. Saying that, PHP is only used for the web presentation layer, which (in spite of being a mammoth job for a large, experienced development team), is only the icing on the cake.

A feasible back-end application infrastructure for a web app with the complexity of something like Facebook is going to be a big enough job as it stands, but when you have a high-concurrency, eventually-consistent application that is accepting millions of requests a second, the normal third-party infrastructure components that developers take for granted, such as CDNs and datastores, don't cut it any more and you need to start customizing.

You are now building your own graph database technology and eventually-consistent, decoupled read/write architectures and inventing new, innovate memcached, distributed content delivery mechanisms for efficiently reading and writing to and from hundreds of thousands of binaries a second over HTTP. You are now into the world where a "programmer" can't help you and you now need highly specialized architects - and you need the best ones in the world. Trouble is, you have no idea what you need because all you had was an "idea" and you're stumped.

And, no, you can't solve the problem of high-scalability by installing Drupal (how you expect a CMS is going to help you build a social network I've no idea - the two things are completely orthogonal).
    lmao!! Tell that to the 'guy' who started P.O.F (plenty of fish). I can hear him laughing his ass of at such a comment. Honestly... all of the above is irrelevant when only starting a venture. As you grow you change and adapt in relation to your current and immediate needs... also known as the economy of scale.

Ps. Part of your statements are wrong... would you like to hazard a guess where

ReputationRep:
    My advice, aim low and try to slowly build more and more small projects which you can piece together to make a social networking website. For example, I guess you'd want to have an integrated chat service for your social network like Facebook Messenger, so try and build a chat service first.

If you aim too high and try to build a massive project like a social networking website, it'd take you years and more than likely you'll get pretty fed up quite quickly into the development process because you'll feel the end is no where near in site.

ReputationRep:
    lmao!! Tell that to the 'guy' who started P.O.F (plenty of fish). I can hear him laughing his ass of at such a comment. Honestly... all of the above is irrelevant when only starting a venture. As you grow you change and adapt in relation to your current and immediate needs... also known as the economy of scale.

Ps. Part of your statements are wrong... would you like to hazard a guess where

Would probably agree with you on that. I doubt Zuckerberg started with some fancy super scalable CQRS architecture strait from the start. He started small and the site eventually evolved into what it is now.

Saying that you don't want to be too shorted sighted like choosing a horrible language like php just because it's quick and dirty - that would be nuts.

ReputationRep:
    Hey its all about the experience right, I can't pay you and too bad about rent, bills and food but you get to work for me and then you can **** off once im finished with ya.

ReputationRep:
    Thought to myself why not mix my love for socializing and geeky stuff. Zuckerburg made millions and he started in college or something x

Any suggestions out there x

D
    Somehow you don't come across as the sort of person who would sit in their bedroom and shun social life to see their goal realised.

That's my gut feeling.

ReputationRep:
    no idea why everyones gettin so pissy about this lol so many butthurt users on tsr (what a surprise), do what you want op.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by INTit)
    Would probably agree with you on that. I doubt Zuckerberg started with some fancy super scalable CQRS architecture strait from the start. He started small and the site eventually evolved into what it is now.
    Which is fine, if, like Zuckerberg you are:

1) Doing it for a bit of fun.
    2) Working for a closed market (such as an internal app for a company or school).

Or, ideally (again, like Zuckerberg), both. If you're aiming for scale (which is what is posited by a thread that basically starts "I want to rival Facebook") then you need to build for scale from the outset.

Saying that, if you're aiming for scale from the outset, chances are you will never get there. A narrow focus might broaden but a broad focus will just dither. Especially if you start out broad and then try and retroactively engineer some contrived small-scale application. You need to have idea that has a point in the first place, not try and squeeze one out of a vague pipe dream.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.