Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I feel that there's more demand for graduates now, but also a skills miss-match. For ex. there are several, large graduate employers having difficulty trying to find strong candidates with a background/interest in technology.

ReputationRep:
    Even during the peak of the recession there were a fair amount of grad roles that were never filled due to not finding appropriately skilled candidates. They were mainly in technical areas.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-30745839

Did you graduate last year? :cookie: Does your experience reflect this?

Would be interesting to hear.
    This is actually not overly surprising. Because of the fees hike in 2012 a lot of people who were doing gap years and the like made sure they went in 2011 which in combination with the fees jump meant a 9% fall in university numbers. Couple this with the 8% rise in job vacancies and your 17% better off this year than last against your classmates. 2013 saw a 2% drop so it could be a tad better next year too but after that it's down to how quickly the number of job vacancies is rising.

That being said the most important thing to me is that it's still miles better than 2010 which had i done the usual school-sixthform-university is when i'd have graduated.

ReputationRep:
    I call bs

ReputationRep:
    What a load of *******s.

ReputationRep:
    What is?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom_Ford)
    What a load of *******s.
    How did you fine the grad job market in 08/09?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSilentBang)
    I'm graduating after a four year course this summer coming. I've got two offers, one from where I completed a placement another from a big company down south. I've got invites to final interviews at another big company and a start-up firm both in London still to complete. I'm at a non top 20 university and I've had final interviews at investment banks and another large company too. All software engineering related.

It can't be that hard at the minute?
    Name?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    How did you fine the grad job market in 08/09?
    It was even worse, my brother was a graduate back then. It's like comparing which one is more awful, it is still bloody awful today. Especially for a minority in the north.

ReputationRep:
    It was even worse, my brother was a graduate back then. It's like comparing which one is more awful, it is still bloody awful today. Especially for a minority in the north.
    Perhaps not BS then.

Yeah? My grad role was in Warrington.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Perhaps not BS then.

Yeah? My grad role was in Warrington.
    What does that prove?

ReputationRep:
    What does that prove?
    Nothing, just you think I'm special which is nice

I was more interested in whether you had any evidence that grad employment prospects of northerners were worse. It'd be interesting reading.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Nothing, just you think I'm special which is nice

I was more interested in whether you had any evidence that grad employment prospects of northerners were worse. It'd be interesting reading.

Minorities have it harder in the north. I don't have any academic concrete evidence, I have only what I have seen others experience and experiences from myself as my guide. It's my perception and my world, I am not interested in whether it is academic fact or not.

ReputationRep:
    This is the issue with this new story though. It only covers 100 graduate employers. Ok some of them are huge, recruiting over 1000+ grads a year, but as they are the most "popular" companies picked by students perceptions of who provides the best jobs (which in reality is who they can name, and whose company branding they have seen on campus), the majority of those graduate roles will be in London.

Recruitment in London is clearly picking up, but whether it is reflective across the UK is a different matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    Name?
    I'd prefer not to say, but lets just say it's not 20-30 either it's way up there. Mainly due to the region I from and my choice to stay local.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSilentBang)
    I'd prefer not to say, but lets just say it's not 20-30 either it's way up there. Mainly due to the region I from and my choice to stay local.
    Please, PM me the name. I won't reveal it to anyone. I am really interested in your case.

ReputationRep:
    Please, PM me the name. I won't reveal it to anyone. I am really interested in your case.
    What difference does it make if they say Reading or Sussex, UAE or Leeds Met...?

ReputationRep:
    Minorities have it harder in the north. I don't have any academic concrete evidence, I have only what I have seen others experience and experiences from myself as my guide. It's my perception and my world, I am not interested in whether it is academic fact or not.
    Elaborate?

ReputationRep:
    Elaborate?
    Racist **** employers imo.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.