Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    hi guys
    im only 17 and have -11 myopia in both eyes
    i have wore glasses since the age of 5 and my life is just getting scarier because i think im going to end up blind or wearing the most thickest frames ever.
    it just seems to be getting worse, hate going to opticians, family blames me for having bad eyesight..
    i just feel ugly, unconfident because of my eyes.
    what if by the age of 21 it keeps progressing? what do i do.
    im genuinely scared.
    any help will be appreciated.
    I remember having this worry. I think I'm -7 now, so not as bad as you, but I used to worry about this when I was younger. Every time I went to the opticians, they kept telling me that I needed new glasses, due to my eyesight getting worse. I thought I might eventually go blind!

They were right in the fact that it would slow down as I got older. I haven't had a new pair of glasses for 4/5 years. That may change now, though. The same will likely happen to you. Your eyesight is not your fault.

(Original post by NathanW18)
    I remember having this worry. I think I'm -7 now, so not as bad as you, but I used to worry about this when I was younger. Every time I went to the opticians, they kept telling me that I needed new glasses, due to my eyesight getting worse. I thought I might eventually go blind!

They were right in the fact that it would slow down as I got older. I haven't had a new pair of glasses for 4/5 years. That may change now, though. The same will likely happen to you. Your eyesight is not your fault.

(Original post by NathanW18)

Hi
    Thanks for your help

(Original post by agilpro)
    First of all the fact that you have bad eyesight is not your fault, if anyone is to blame it is your ancestors because the fact that you have severe myopia means that you inherited it from someone and the last ones in the line are your parents. Since you have been wearing glasses since the age of 5, you probably have progressive myopia which is an inherited genetic trait and will continue to worsen until you reach your early 20's and then it will stabilize. Wearing glasses or contacts will have no effect on whether your eyes continue to get worse because they only correct your vision while you are wearing them. If you want to get away from wearing glasses you could wear contacts. I know several people who have myopia that is close to yours or worse and neither was a candidate for corrective surgery such as LASIK, but one had IOL's (Intraocular lens) surgically implanted which are basically implanted contact lenses and it corrected his vision. You won't go blind from myopia but your risk of having a retinal detachment is higher than the general population so it's very important to have regular eye exams.
    I just pray that it stabilises

ReputationRep:
    my eyesight is -2 on both, I feel for all people -1 to blindness

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    my eyesight is -2 on both, I feel for all people -1 to blindness
    -1 is absolutely nothing. You can do almost everything without glasses. I miss being even -2... XD (I'm over -3 and have astigmatism of -1.5).

ReputationRep:
    There are a lot of options for treating. You should talk to your optician and ophthalmologist about them.
    1. Hard Contacts (RGP). Th
    ey press your cornea and have a slight effect on its shape making it more round and stable and this may stabilize the progression of myopia. Not suitable for everyone but still an option.
    2. Bi-Focals or FreeForm Progressives. Some studies have shown they may help stopping the progression of myopia as they don't give you over-correction for near vision and less eyestrain.
    3. High quality lenses with high quality coatings. Less eyestrain as a result of better vision quality and clarity.
    4. Later in life you may consider a lens transplant. (similar to cataract surgeries).

Don't feel bad about it, it is no way your fault you have that poor eyesight. It is mainly genetic or a result of birth trauma (have you been born premature?)
    Contacts might be a good solution for feeling more confident about your looks. I dont like wearing glasses either so I wear contacts for partying or when it rains a lot. I hate the way my eyes look smaller with a ~-4 so -11 is much worse...

Anyway, good luck with talking to your optician.

ReputationRep:
    I have a current contact lens dilemma.

For years i have been using daysoft lenses. They are spherical traditional hydrogelsl i.e not Si hydrogels.

The script is -8.50/-7.50 and i can see very well with them/have no issues etc etc perfecto..

I also have a degree of astigmatism in both eyes in the worst case just a little over 1 D

But having said that, i have always managed perfectly well on spherical lenses.

I had a consultation a few months ago with my wonderful indie optom.

At the time we were discussing solution for presbyopia.

He trialled me with some J & J acuvues and trimmed them for monovision at -8.50/-6.00

1.50 D seems quite a drop but they seemed to work well and he gave me half a dozen pairs to trial..fab.

So i ordered my daysofts for the same script then slowly self trimmed them to around -8.50/-6.50

Im thinking that my overall visual experience was better in monovision with the J&Js at -8.50/-6.00 than with the DS at -8.50/-6.00/-6.25/-6.50.

My thinking is that the DS lenses are thinner are are moulding closely to the astigmatic areas so causing an aberration but at normal distance script of -8.50/-7.50 this isnt noticeable. However in mono at -8.50/-6.50 with the added monovision mismatch,its overall result is decreased performance

Whereas

With the acuvue,being a Si H lens it is marginally thicker and so rather than closely moulding to the astigmatic areas,it is bridging them thus masking the astigmatism. This leads to better tolerance and vision when mono is applied at -8.50/-6.00.

Does this sound like a good argument??

My reason for aksing is im thinking of reordering the acuvues but dont want to have a big layout for 3 months supply without good reason that its a sound move.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Limpopo)
    I have a current contact lens dilemma.

For years i have been using daysoft lenses. They are spherical traditional hydrogelsl i.e not Si hydrogels.

The script is -8.50/-7.50 and i can see very well with them/have no issues etc etc perfecto..

I also have a degree of astigmatism in both eyes in the worst case just a little over 1 D

But having said that, i have always managed perfectly well on spherical lenses.

I had a consultation a few months ago with my wonderful indie optom.

At the time we were discussing solution for presbyopia.

He trialled me with some J & J acuvues and trimmed them for monovision at -8.50/-6.00

1.50 D seems quite a drop but they seemed to work well and he gave me half a dozen pairs to trial..fab.

So i ordered my daysofts for the same script then slowly self trimmed them to around -8.50/-6.50

Im thinking that my overall visual experience was better in monovision with the J&Js at -8.50/-6.00 than with the DS at -8.50/-6.00/-6.25/-6.50.

My thinking is that the DS lenses are thinner are are moulding closely to the astigmatic areas so causing an aberration but at normal distance script of -8.50/-7.50 this isnt noticeable. However in mono at -8.50/-6.50 with the added monovision mismatch,its overall result is decreased performance

Whereas

With the acuvue,being a Si H lens it is marginally thicker and so rather than closely moulding to the astigmatic areas,it is bridging them thus masking the astigmatism. This leads to better tolerance and vision when mono is applied at -8.50/-6.00.

Does this sound like a good argument??

My reason for aksing is im thinking of reordering the acuvues but dont want to have a big layout for 3 months supply without good reason that its a sound move.
    What kind of Acuvue lenses are you talking about? There are few types and they are all different.
    If your astigmatism axis is around 180^ and you see well with spherical lenses continue with the spherical lenses.
    Monovision is not always comfortable. Sometimes for a start (when your ADD is less than 1.5) the best solution is slight undercorrection to 6/12. In this case sometimes it require the right astigmatic correction.

It is very hard to determine the best solution for you without seeing the results of your eye exam scans and your own report about the comfort of vision and sensations with the trial lenses.

Sticking to Daysoft might be the best financial solution, but not always gives you the best vision solution.

ReputationRep:
    Yes..im not sure of the axis without trying to dig out paperwork...im just stuck between

a)staying with DS at -8.50/-7.0 with excellent distance vision and using ready readers
    b)DS at -8.50/-6.25 and no ready readers,good distance and near vision and high comfort/no issues
    c)Acuvue dailies at-8.50/-6.00 With apparent very good distance/near but potential exposure to siH issues/complications not endured with the DS traditional Hydrogels..

I dont feel i can bother my optom further with these complex decisions and i have to take some responsibility myself..

My optom a few months ago said there was astigmatism but he didnt feel i needed to mess around with torics as this would just introduce further levels of complication into the mix.

I only wear the DS maybe 7 to 10 hours per day and often have several days of specs wear in between..

Do you think my theory of lens thickness and masking of astig has any validity??

ReputationRep:
    Either A or B. This is the cheapest and you seem to be pleased with it.
    I recomend ordering a high quality lenses readers from the web with your Reading-PD it would be even better.

Normally I use my FreeForm Progressive glasses and not wearing contacts. I find it the best solution. As for contacts I wear Daysoft or if I know I will wear contacts most of the week I wear Acuvue Oasis Toric. I have to wear toric for good vision because my axis is 120 and 60.

I recomend you to get high quality Progressive glasses, you will find them very helpful and no eyestrain at all if they are fitted right (especially when you are young)...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your input Kathy.. my specs are fairly current,about two years old single vision distance only and i usually manage close reading my nudging down my nose a little

Ive steered clear of progressives for the moment due to all the complications of fitting such lenses in smaller fashionable frames. I tend to subscribe to the "keep it simple" school of anything but i might revisit my optom re specs..

It must be great to be in the profession and have all the options readily available to you to play with !

ReputationRep:
    No problem of fitting in even 25mm frame. There are great 10mm-12mm corridor lenses. There are even kids/junior progressives with 9mm corridor (most are not FreeForm though). If you are young it will be pretty easy to adjust to them.
    In the clinic hours (studying) we fitted a 9mm corridor to a 65 year old lady who wanted really small 25mm frame. She used bi-focals before and she claimed after a month that she would never ever go back to bi-focals.

Once you get used to FreeForm progressives you will forget what eyestrain is at any distance.
    I dont know how trials work in the UK but maybe your insurance will cover that.

ReputationRep:
    I'm -0.75 in the right eye and -1.25 in the left and I feel like my eyesight is terrible, although I know that in the grand scheme of things I am only slightly short-sighted. I really feel for people who are badly short sighted

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.