Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"I am not Charlie and I don't want to be" watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farm_Ecology)
    I don't believe there is a double-standard at all. As far as freedom of speech goes, the discussion is mostly about where to draw the line. Most people draw the line at racism, but consider religion fair game. There is no hypocrisy in this, and most will be perfectly clear on what they consider fair game for mockery.
    There is a wider and entrenched Western perception that brown Arab Muslims are uncivilised, barbaric, and stuck in the past. These perceptions ( which are also further perpetuated by this comic) lower this 'line' when it comes to Muslims and it's why many Muslims whilstp condemn the murder of the staff at Charlie Hebdo also get riled up. It's why a lot of Muslims constantly use the word 'hypocrisy' which David Miliband also said was the sentiment he got from speaking to many Muslim youth ( a few years back on Question Time).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Person1001)
    There is a wider and entrenched Western perception that brown Arab Muslims are uncivilised, barbaric, and stuck in the past. These perceptions ( which are also further perpetuated by this comic) lower this 'line' when it comes to Muslims.
    While I could be wrong, I have yet to see anything of the kind.

I have seen it about Muslims, which include all races. I have not seen brown Arab Muslims singled out in the way you describe. When someone does single out a race (whether they are Muslim or otherwise) it is mostly condemned in the same way if any race was singled out.

Edit: There does seem an attempt by some to make "Arab" and "Muslim" the same thing, but that usually comes from those defending Muslims, not those attacking them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shabalala)
    Islam has created its own reputation and it is well deserved . Islam in its devout form is incompatible with Western Culture and if any Muslims can't learn to accept that in the west our values come first before the values of Islam then thats their problem. I prefer the Muslim Major of Rotterdam's message

'Muslims who cannot appreciate the freedoms of living in the west can pack your bags and **** off'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...f-live-TV.html

This isn't soley aimed at Islam, If Christians in the west where to follow their religion as devoutly as Muslims do then they would be just as much of a problem. The thing is Christianity has evolved into the 21st century to come into line with modern western values, Islam has yet to do the same it is still predominentley stuck in the Middle Ages. I will not sit back and ignore the barbaric practices of certain Muslims.

It is believed 1 in 7 Young British Muslims support or have sympathy with Islamic State! So don't tell me it's only a tiny minority because 1 in 7 is hugely significant.
    'Islam has created it's reputation'. You clearly don't know anything about Islam then, I'm sorry to say. Even though you felt you could right a huge post on such a sensitive issue, you clearly didn't research and are quite ignorant.

Islam isn't what these idiots show, or those idiots who shot down 500 innocent Pakistani children for absolutely no reason. If these idiots were actually Muslim, they wouldn't go around doing what they do, because Islam teaches love and forgiveness. This is taught through the example of the Prophet, who used to help women who threw garbage at him and swore at him. Who forgave the murder of his uncle, who treated everyone with love and kindness.

I'm a GCSE RS student, and looks like my textbooks have been able to teach more than what you know.

ReputationRep:
    While I could be wrong, I have yet to see anything of the kind.

I have seen it about Muslims, which include all races.
    BBC news presenter recently had to apologise for a comment about Israeli's treatment of Jews in the Freedom of expression rally in France. Besides the irony on this case, Mehdi Hasan's point that limitations of freedom expression don't seem to be consistently apply to Muslims as well is incontestable to victims who themselves are the victims of portrayal of Muslims as less worth than any other human beings lives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helloitsmee)
    I'm a GCSE RS student, and looks like my textbooks have been able to teach more than what you know.
    Bear in mind that religious textbooks are not entirely regarded as a reliable source of factual information by non-religious people, to see them as such requires a leap of faith that ultimately forms the divide between believers and disbelievers. Most of the time, these debates go nowhere because both camps insist on broadcasting in their own frequency overlooking the other side's inability to decipher it.

ReputationRep:
    'Islam has created it's reputation'. You clearly don't know anything about Islam then, I'm sorry to say. Even though you felt you could right a huge post on such a sensitive issue, you clearly didn't research and are quite ignorant.

Islam isn't what these idiots show, or those idiots who shot down 500 innocent Pakistani children for absolutely no reason. If these idiots were actually Muslim, they wouldn't go around doing what they do, because Islam teaches love and forgiveness. This is taught through the example of the Prophet, who used to help women who threw garbage at him and swore at him. Who forgave the murder of his uncle, who treated everyone with love and kindness.

I'm not denying that the Quran contains many instances of kindness, love and generally good moral guidelines, now that is all well and good but let's not forget it also contains massive contradictions with evil, hatred & bigotry that was typical of the time it was written. Christian and Jewish religious texts contain nearly as much evil as the Quran but Muslims seem to follow it far more devoutly.

On Non Muslims--

God's curse be upon the infidels! Evil is that for which they have bartered away their souls. To deny God's own revelation, grudging that He should reveal His bounty to whom He chooses from among His servants! They have incurred God's most inexorable wrath. An ignominious punishment awaits the unbelievers.
    I shall cast terror into the hearts of the infidels. Strike off their heads, strike off the very tips of their fingers.
    When the sacred months are over slay the idolaters wherever you find them. Arrest them, besiege them, and lie in ambush everywhere for them.
    Prophet, make war on the unbelievers and the hypocrites and deal rigorously with them. Hell shall be their home: an evil fate.
    Garments of fire have been prepared for the unbelievers. Scalding water shall be poured upon their heads, melting their skins and that which is in their bellies. They shall be lashed with rods of iron.

Whenever, in their anguish, they try to escape from Hell, back they shall be dragged, and will be told: "Taste the torment of the Conflagration!"
    Believers, take neither the Jews nor the Christians for your friends. They are friends with one another. Whoever of you seeks their friendship shall become one of their number. God does not guide the wrong-doers.
    Let not the unbelievers think that they will ever get away. They have not the power to do so. Muster against them all the men and cavalry at your command, so that you may strike terror into the enemy of God and your enemy...
    On Women--

Men have authority over women because God has made the one superior to the other, and because they spend their wealth to maintain them. Good women are obedient. They guard their unseen parts because God has guarded them. As for those from whom you fear disobedience, admonish them and forsake them in beds apart, and beat them.
    [Forbidden to you are] married women, except those whom you own as slaves.
    Women are your fields: go, then, into your fields whence you please.
    Your school books aren't going to mention the rape, murder and slavery are they now.

ReputationRep:
    Here is someone else who doesn't want to be one of the blind Herdo

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2...ebdo-cartoons/

ReputationRep:
    The article is spot on. There is a huge double standard in which everyone accepts there are limitations to freedom to insult but these limitations don't apply to Muslims.

Many others have also given examples of this hypocrisy in Western media.
    It hardly compares to forcing the guardian to destroy documents that potentially threaten national security.

ReputationRep:

Muhammad was being loving and forgiving when he ordered the stoning of adulterers? What about when he executed prisoners of war?

ReputationRep:
    Mehdi Hasan is an odious individual, whose main preoccupation has always been to deflect blame away from Islam and label all those who criticise it as islamophobic, rather than addressing the many issues the religion has.

This article is typical, subtly blaming the attacks on Charlie Hebdo on US actions, as though any bad things that Muslims do stem from the gulf wars.

ReputationRep:
    Muslims throwing their weight around again. Multiculturalism is so bad. Proper integration and acceptance is the solution.

ReputationRep:
    The article is spot on. There is a huge double standard in which everyone accepts there are limitations to freedom to insult but these limitations don't apply to Muslims.

Many others have also given examples of this hypocrisy in Western media.
    No, i and so many other people express opinions on muslims the same as any other religion or race

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JD8897)
    No, i and so many other people express opinions on muslims the same as any other religion or race
    That's fine if you want to express your opinions. However with the politics in the West, limitations are applied less so to insulting Arabs/Muslims. France in particular harbours this dark hypocrisy - quite franks it's insulting - France holds the freedom of speech rally yet makes proPalestinian protests illegal.

ReputationRep:
    That's fine if you want to express your opinions. However with the politics in the West, limitations are applied less so to insulting Arabs/Muslims. France in particular harbours this dark hypocrisy - quite franks it's insulting - France holds the freedom of speech rally yet makes proPalestinian protests illegal.
    Because even though there are many innocents in Palestine the main movement that has caused the wars is terrorism from Palestinians. However bombing the area aimlessly is wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    Mehdi Hasan is an odious individual, whose main preoccupation has always been to deflect blame away from Islam and label all those who criticise it as islamophobic, rather than addressing the many issues the religion has.

This article is typical, subtly blaming the attacks on Charlie Hebdo on US actions, as though any bad things that Muslims do stem from the gulf wars.
    This is so true, people like this moron Mehdi are just in denial, they should do more to protest terrorists making a mockery of their religion rather than blaming the west for everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JD8897)
    Because even though there are many innocents in Palestine the main movement that has caused the wars is terrorism from Palestinians. However bombing the area aimlessly is wrong
    More people will vehemently disagree with you than agree with you and argue well that Israel is and continues to be terrorise and oppress the Palestinians on a moral to international legal level.

But that's a discussion you can choose to continue in the Israel Palestine sticky thread. What's clear is the stark hypocrisy particularly with France with Frances clear hypocritical laws on Freedom of expression including the ban on pro-Palestinians protests to the almost 60 arrests made for "free speech and acts of insulting other religions".

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe there is a double-standard at all. As far as freedom of speech goes, the discussion is mostly about where to draw the line. Most people draw the line at racism, but consider religion fair game. There is no hypocrisy in this, and most will be perfectly clear on what they consider fair game for mockery.
    If you read the article you would see there is clear double standards e.g. depictions of Jesus rejected by the Danish editor on on grounds it would cause public outcry How can you say most people consider religion fair game when for most that it was they hold most sacred?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)

What are you talking about?

Its about double standards in freedom of speech and where to draw the line.

Does it not bother you to see Barack Obama - who demanded that Yemen keep the anti-drone journalist Abdulelah Haider Shaye behind bars, after he was convicted on "terrorism-related charges" in a kangaroo court - jump on the free speech ban wagon? Weren't you sickened to see Benjamin Netanyahu, the prime minister of a country that was responsible for the killing of seven journalists in Gaza in 2014, attend the "unity rally" in Paris? Bibi was joined by Angela Merkel, chancellor of a country where Holocaust denial is punishable by up to five years in prison, and David Cameron, who wants to ban non-violent "extremists" committed to the "overthrow of democracy" from appearing on television.

Western leaders went off about this attack being on against freedom of speech, thought etc. when in fact there are numerous examples of them not acting in line with their claims.

ReputationRep:
    I hate all this Charlie nonsense

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 16, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.