Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

French comedian arrested over Facebook Post on Paris Gunman Watch

ReputationRep:
    Total hypocrisy from the French, but the UK is just as bad - locking people up for burning poppies and making jokes about the murder of April Jones.

ReputationRep:
    They always have evil on the mind. Plotting wars, revolutions for the benefit of Jewish interests and not the people. Genocide by tactics that are hidden under the guise of anti-racism and love. Only a movement to destroy their establishment and kick Zionist Jewry out of power will save France. You Brits should know what it's like both your major parties leaders are Jewish descent. There is no ****ing left wing or right wing, in France they're all Zionist butt sniffing traitors.

ReputationRep:
    Free speech is the right to criticise ideas whether they be political, religious whatever.

We have the right to offend people who hold opposing views to us. Just because people are offended, don't like our ideas, they do not have the right to close down our paper, throw us into prison, hang us, burn us at the stake etc.

Of course people who are attached to ideas, political, religious etc, react, sometimes emotionally, to criticism and therefore can want to silence their opponents, burn their books etc.

We in this country have learned the hard way that that is not the way forward. In the 16th century you could be burnt alive for being catholic one day, having the wrong political ideas: the next year for being protestant and other political ideas. It was not so long ago, 18th century I believe, that we in this country of Britain were hanging teenagers for being irreligious / hanging 'witches': even 20th century imprisoning gays etc etc.

We have learnt that it is through free speech, in science, literature, politics that we expand our horizons, become better people. Unless we are all to live in fear we have to learn tolerance. It was a Frenchman, Voltaire by the way, who by his courage and high principles, taught us all that.

But, this is quite different from allowing people to publish newspapers, give out leaflets ,etc. in order to encourage the murder of people because of who they are, the religion they practise, the colour of their skin, their country of origin. It is not right, surely, to be able to encourage people to meet up to attack - lynch, expel, mutilate - Christians, Catholics or Protestants, Puritans or Unitarians, Jews, Muslims, Atheists, old women, Irish, whoever.

Though we in this country have done all these things in our not too distant past. (We should realise with some humility that we and our ancestors were also very intolerant.) These actions are where we have accepted that free speech has its limit. Rightly, surely.

We in our law and the French Government, draw a distinction between the freedom to criticise ideas, political and religious, and the freedom to attack individuals or groups of people because of the religion they practise or the ideas they hold or the colour of their skin.

We have finally understood that we can learn valuable and enjoyable lessons from people who are not like us despite our initial amazement, horror even, at their clothes, food, music, politics, religion etc. if we are open to new ideas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by captainslow69)
    I was never referring to that part of the article. I was actually referring to the part at the bottom in which it said that the French govt banned the comedians shows because they were ''deemed'' anti-Semitic. If insulting Islam is OK (shown by the two Charlie Hebdo magazine covers), then shouldn't anti-Semitism also be OK? Of course anti-semitism or anything like that with any other religion or walk of life is never acceptable and has no place in 21st century society. I am not condoning the fact that his anti-semitic shows should have went ahead, nor am I condoning the comedians ''apologist for terrorism'' action, or the actual Charlie Hebdo killings. All three acts are disgusting and have no place in our society.

I was just simply raising a point that based on the French version of free speech shouldn't, his shows also be allowed to run. Of course I don't mean that they actually should be allowed to happen, but based on the same grounds an argument can be made for it.
    The point is the French police arrested him for being an apologist for a terrible act, whether he is a terrible comedian, who wishes to grind his antisemitic axe is really irrelevant. Free speech is not about giving credence to the scum terrorists who wish to murder people who don't agree with your particular obsession, it is about allowing people to disagree, without making orphans and widows out of perceived enemies.

ReputationRep:
    The (alleged) moderate Muslim posters on here, are evidence that moderate Islam is a lie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dozyrosie)
    The point is the French police arrested him for being an apologist for a terrible act, whether he is a terrible comedian, who wishes to grind his antisemitic axe is really irrelevant. Free speech is not about giving credence to the scum terrorists who wish to murder people who don't agree with your particular obsession, it is about allowing people to disagree, without making orphans and widows out of perceived enemies.
    No free speech is about allowing allto have their say, regardless of what they say is deemed offensive/hateful or not at least according to the French. And the part about murder you have repeated the point that I tried getting across about 5 times. And I won't go into moderate Islam that is another debate in itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatPerson)
    The difference I feel is that Charlie Hebdo attacks religious institutions, not people. Muslims being offended is just a byproduct of that; offending them is not the intent. The late editor of Charlie Hebdo freely admitted that he does not expect Muslims to like the cartoons or be amused by them, but society should tolerate them and one certainly should not feel threatened after publishing satire. The magazines style was brutal and offensive, but was not racist and did not target individuals. That is what separates it from anti-semitism, whose only goal is to disenfranchise an entire demographic.

The bottom line is that the rules of the Qu'ran apply only to Muslims; you cannot expect non-muslims to obey them, particularly when they clash with basic modern principles like freedom of expression.
    Disagreed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by captainslow69)
    No free speech is about allowing allto have their say, regardless of what they say is deemed offensive/hateful or not at least according to the French. And the part about murder you have repeated the point that I tried getting across about 5 times. And I won't go into moderate Islam that is another debate in itself.
    You totally misunderstand free speech, there are many laws against free speech, it is not carte blanche to say anything or to write anything. You are misinterpreting your definition for the legal one, it is the legal definition that this scum comedian was arrested for, which in this case was apologising for terrorism.

ReputationRep:
    The victim mentality of these people is unbelievable. If Islam can take haters and insults, why can't jews. The disgraceful media has refused to talk about this arrest, why maurice sinet was fired and the so called freedom of speech in reality, guess it is not a surprise when you consider they control the media

ReputationRep:
    The passion of Dieudonne. Up to 7 years for a facebook joke about terrorism? so the real terrorists have won.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 15, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.