The Student Room Group

Chemistry or Economics

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
High paying finance jobs like physics graduates. It's one of common non physics (you can actually apply physics concepts to predict economic stuff) careers they go into. Maths ability and logical reasoning is desirable in any number crunching/analysis job. Physics has that with knobs on. Someone on my physics course wanted to go into some kind investment prediction thing (I don't really know the specific), he was doing some monte carlo simulation based project which has applications in money stuff apparently. If you decided that is the route you want to go down you could tell your physics staff and they would most likely be able to find something you could do that is applicable and help you get that sort of job.

I don't know how important A-levels are but that position will still be open with a physics degree.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/jul/21/physics-graduates-gravitate-to-finance

Thank you man! You've been very helpful :biggrin:
Reply 21
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Chemistry at uni is very mathematical. Chemistry does help. It isn't vital but it does help with Physics. Havign a good understanding of elements and how they interact with bonds and stuff overlaps with physics. You spend time leanring about orbitals and stuff in a physics degree.

Yeah you're probably right.

Also I saw your post about physics degrees and finance, what's the situation like with chemistry degrees and finance? I do maths chemistry and economics at A2 and was thinking of a finance/actuarial science career after my chemistry degree. I'm on track for 2/3A*s at a-level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dylann
Yeah you're probably right.

Also I saw your post about physics degrees and finance, what's the situation like with chemistry degrees and finance? I do maths chemistry and economics at A2 and was thinking of a finance/actuarial science career after my chemistry degree. I'm on track for 2/3A*s at a-level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know as much about chemistry. I would imagine maths and physics would give you an edge but chemistry still does involve maths and analytical thinking etc.

Not sure whether this helps.
http://www.prospects.ac.uk/options_chemistry.htm
(edited 9 years ago)
!
Original post by Dylann
As someone who does chemistry and economics at A2 (chemistry degree next year) I would recommend taking both, or economics. Physics at uni is very mathematical and I'm not sure how much chemistry would help. You would manage without.

Economics will give you lifelong knowledge that will be extremely beneficial especially if you go into finance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

hi - this is a more chemistry or economics degree rather than alevel question. i do maths chem french/physics (cant decide) at a2 and am at the crucial point of deciding what degree to apply for. it was chem eng then chemistry now economics and reconsidering chemistry - im usually quite decisive but i have no idea if i will enjoy a chemistry degree as i did all my uni stuff in relation to chem eng. also, is chemistry a good degree in terms of prospects?? im really not sure if im a chemist or a more finance type person at heart but i do know that ive been debating my whole life, read the economist every day and was absorbed every minute of my LSE student shadowing for accounting and finance - really need advice here!
thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending