Turn on thread page Beta

A-Levels that can be mastered by rote learning watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AsandaLFC)
    This is annoying. This is super annoying. you cant get an A for physics with rote learning. Im sure u never gotten a B. In my school no one has ever gotten an A in physics for the past 3yrs

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But also, I don't really see how you can use the an anecdotal statement that no one has got an A grade in Physics at your school as an argument against other people getting an A, or above. Maybe the fact you clearly require rote learning to succeed should exemplify what you need to start working on?

ReputationRep:
    Maths chem bio and probably history

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vimto39)
    But also, I don't really see how you can use the an anecdotal statement that no one has got an A grade in Physics at your school as an argument against other people getting an A, or above. Maybe the fact you clearly require rote learning to succeed should exemplify what you need to start working on?
    Umh this. :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Biology, psychology, history

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The current standard of A levels is shamefully low, so pretty much they are designed for rote learning.
    Even very low ability students can achieve which is alright because at least half the UK universities are truly bad.

Even in cognition exams such as MATHEMATICS STEP there is a big element of rote these days...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    The current standard of A levels is shamefully low designed, so pretty much they are designed for rote learning.
    Even very low ability students can achieve which is alright because at least half the UK universities are truly bad.

Even in cognition exams such as MATHEMATICS STEP there is a big element of rote these days...
    Oh come off it there's no way you can get any good grade in STEP with rote learning unless you are already talented at maths. It's very much inaccessible to most so they wouldn't even begin to understand what to rote learn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TVIO)
    Oh come off it there's no way you can get any good grade in STEP with rote learning unless you are already talented at maths. It's very much inaccessible to most so they wouldn't even begin to understand what to rote learn.
    My personal experiences tell me otherwise but I have to respect your opinion and views as your experiences might be different to mine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    My personal experiences tell me otherwise but I have to respect your opinion and views as your experiences might be different to mine.
    From what I've seen of you around the forum, aren't you an incredibly talented mathematician? STEP was completely indecipherable for me for a long time until I started to get into that mindset. The questions vary enough so that rote learning can't help you unless you already understand the general gist of it (don't they?). To be fair, I'm just getting started with STEP but it really doesn't feel like it can be rote learned (unlike normal maths/further maths a levels)

ReputationRep:
    A-Level Computing for sure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TVIO)
    From what I've seen of you around the forum, aren't you an incredibly talented mathematician? STEP was completely indecipherable for me for a long time until I started to get into that mindset. The questions vary enough so that rote learning can't help you unless you already understand the general gist of it (don't they?). To be fair, I'm just getting started with STEP but it really doesn't feel like it can be rote learned (unlike normal maths/further maths a levels)
    Firstly I wish you success with STEP ...

Secondly with regards to the subject I never said STEP is exclusively rote learned. But using your own words "I started to get into that mindset", you interpret the feeling as mindset,
    I wonder is this mindset perhaps has an element of rote. (familiarity)

I cannot remember who said that (Von Newman I think)

... you cannot truly understand high level maths...
    ... you just get used to it ...

I certainly can relate to that, because I have definitely experienced it but then again I consider myself a rote learner.

All the best again with your exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    Firstly I wish you success with STEP ...

Secondly with regards to the subject I never said STEP is exclusively rote learned. But using your own words "I started to get into that mindset", you interpret the feeling as mindset,
    I wonder is this mindset perhaps has an element of rote. (familiarity)

I cannot remember who said that (Von Newman I think)

... you cannot truly understand high level maths...
    ... you just get used to it ...

I certainly can relate to that, because I have definitely experienced it but then again I consider myself a rote learner.

All the best again with your exams
    In this case, I'll bow to your superior knowledge and hope it can be rote learned so I can meet my offer!

ReputationRep:
    Maths.

ReputationRep:
    Biology and Geography

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.