Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    I would abstain from this.

It seems organised and could work, but I think we still need Primary Schools. I don't believe Secondary schools should start at age 7. I think a few tweaks and this could be a bill I'd vote for.

ReputationRep:
    I have to disagree with this bill due to the needlessness of such radical change. In general the right have prided themselves of not drastically changing the country for little reason, but this bill goes against that principle and therefore I cannot support it.

You remove primary schools, the centerpieces of small communities entirely. Every village has their own primary school and it gives the area a sense of community but you want to make this a non-entity in only 7 years. You seem to think of the matter in terms of cost saving, but that is the wrong way to look at Education.

I am confused about Grammar Schools, in this system kids would only start education at the age of 7 yet at that age you want to decide whether or not they should go to a Grammar School? If they can't read or write how on earth can you test their ability?

The total centralisation of education worries me also, where the government would now dictate everything. We have to understand that schools themselves know best on these matters but this bill would make everything from how much individual tutoring a student needs to whether or not they resit a year outside of it's control.

One part of the bill states that you are forced to take 2 languages, with one of them being studied for one hour a week and the other from two hours. What is the point of this? You are knowingly sidelining one language and rendering it useless, when you could focus on just learning the first language and actually doing a good job of it.

I also hate the part about compulsory subjects. Up until the ages of 11 it should be up to individual schools and teachers on what students should learn outside of the very basic English, maths and science. At my school we spent a term learning about Poland and we combined geography, history and culture into a topic which was very engaging and us kids enjoyed. A bill like this passing just restricts this sort of activity, ending teacher's individuality and turning education into a purely mechanical process.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by tyroncs)
    I have to disagree with this bill due to the needlessness of such radical change. In general the right have prided themselves of not drastically changing the country for little reason, but this bill goes against that principle and therefore I cannot support it.

You remove primary schools, the centerpieces of small communities entirely. Every village has their own primary school and it gives the area a sense of community but you want to make this a non-entity in only 7 years. You seem to think of the matter in terms of cost saving, but that is the wrong way to look at Education.

I am confused about Grammar Schools, in this system kids would only start education at the age of 7 yet at that age you want to decide whether or not they should go to a Grammar School? If they can't read or write how on earth can you test their ability?

The total centralisation of education worries me also, where the government would now dictate everything. We have to understand that schools themselves know best on these matters but this bill would make everything from how much individual tutoring a student needs to whether or not they resit a year outside of it's control.

One part of the bill states that you are forced to take 2 languages, with one of them being studied for one hour a week and the other from two hours. What is the point of this? You are knowingly sidelining one language and rendering it useless, when you could focus on just learning the first language and actually doing a good job of it.

I also hate the part about compulsory subjects. Up until the ages of 11 it should be up to individual schools and teachers on what students should learn outside of the very basic English, maths and science. At my school we spent a term learning about Poland and we combined geography, history and culture into a topic which was very engaging and us kids enjoyed. A bill like this passing just restricts this sort of activity, ending teacher's individuality and turning education into a purely mechanical process.
    This covers much of my concerns.

ReputationRep:
    Nay. The change is too radical - our current system works well, as long as we keep improving it. The extra pressure upon students in grammar schools to sit examinations and pass or essentially be "kicked out" brings more stress upon the student which is already an issue the government aren't handling well. The government has too much control over the schools and allocation, there should be more freedom in our academic departments.

How would a "government exam board" be implemented? All the current exam boards collated as one?

ReputationRep:
    Secondary school starting at age 7- Farage expects a child's performance in a test to reflect their intelligence when their abilities have had just two years to develop? What about capable children who take a little longer to develop their abilities? And may I ask- why has Theatre Arts/Drama been omitted from the list of optional subjects? Personally, I disagree with making 'carpentry' and 'metalwork' compulsory- they are not really life skills. The current education system itself is a poor way of testing learning ad intelligence. The fact that grammar schools can set their own tests or have them set by local authorities is good because it allows children to find a suitable school by sitting tests that play to their strengths. Furthermore, how would the effectiveness of things like one-to-one tutoring be monitored? Nonetheless, I do like Farage's idea of using different forms of assessment within schools, not just written tests.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Second Reading

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.