Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slade p)
    Women cant force man to get hard
    Total bull****, of cause they can. We don't control it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm skeptical of this result for one very simple reason, even IF these views were held by people it seems a stretch that anyone at all would admit to this. I'd love to know exactly what the questions asked were because this entire study stinks of unprofessionalism. I'm gobsmacked that the university hasn't disciplined the people who published this research.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    "If there were no consequences" = "If it wasn't a crime", would you do something that would normally be criminal."
    You would have to be pretty dense or virtually illiterate in English to understand it to mean that. It means "if you knew you would not be punished, exposed as a rapist or suffer anything embarrassing because of what you did, would you commit this crime?"

ReputationRep:
    Women cant force man to get hard
    Er, yes, they can. Getting hard isn't voluntary you know.

ReputationRep:
    87? That's it? That's not exactly a representative sample size, not even for a single institution. And they're calling "I feel that many women flirt with men just to tease them and hurt them" an example of hostility? What a greasy study. Goes to show you can get almost anything published in some social 'science' journals. Violence and Gender, volume 1 as of 2014.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guitarded)
    Er, yes, they can. Getting hard isn't voluntary you know.
    ye but what if incapacitated?

ReputationRep:
    ye but what if incapacitated?
    Depends how you are incapacitated. Alcohol makes it very difficult (not impossible), but you can still get around it with drugs.

ReputationRep:
    Some of the students, even though they said they would, if it came to the actual situation they probably wouldn't actually rape someone and the sample size is tiny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james22)
    Depends how you are incapacitated. Alcohol makes it very difficult (not impossible), but you can still get around it with drugs.
    Would you rape if you could get away with, be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Would you rape if you could get away with, be honest.
    Not sure how this is relivant but no, I would not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    I'm skeptical of this result for one very simple reason, even IF these views were held by people it seems a stretch that anyone at all would admit to this. I'd love to know exactly what the questions asked were because this entire study stinks of unprofessionalism. I'm gobsmacked that the university hasn't disciplined the people who published this research.
    'University of North Dakota'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    You would have to be pretty dense or virtually illiterate in English to understand it to mean that. It means "if you knew you would not be punished, exposed as a rapist or suffer anything embarrassing because of what you did, would you commit this crime?"
    Which is essentially nearly the same as it not being a crime? The only difference is in one world it's criminal yet nothing would be done to you about it, in the other world simply nothing would be done about it.
    ---

Also please may they repeat this study on a group of females with the exact same question but reversed sexes. It would be veryyyy interesting to see that statistic, no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by battycatlady)
    It doesn't matter that it's a small number.

Even if one person says they will rape that is one too goddamn many!
    You may be in for a shock.

If there's no laws most people would rape, murder and steal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ocean-desert90)
    If islam law happen 0% rape
    Because nothing counts as rape.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    Only they don't define sexually abusing young boys, or in the case of more backward people such as Pashtuns farmyard animals as rape.

back to the original post though. Crime withit punishment leads to increase in crime. Ye gads. Who'd of thought.
    You must be deluded to say pashtuns rape farm yard animals. where's the evidence or is this based on what ' some one ' told you ? ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moh.1Ace)
    You must be deluded to say pashtuns rape farm yard animals. where's the evidence or is this based on what ' some one ' told you ? ****
    Two tours of Helmand and access to some frighteningly power surveillance kit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ocean-desert90)
    If islam law happen 0% rape
    I think not. Here is an example of men from one country with Islam-based law (Pakistan) being convicted of rape in another (Saudi Arabia):

http://tribune.com.pk/story/66225/tw...audi-for-rape/

ReputationRep:
    Eighty-six male college students received extra credit for
    their participation. All participants were over 18 (M= 21,
    SD = 3.6) and most were juniors in college. The overwhelming
    majority of participants ( > 90%) identified as
    Caucasian, consistent with the general student make up at
    this university, and all identified as heterosexual, with prior
    sexual experiences.
    I accept the rationality of the racial mix given the location.

However, these were 86 students wanting additional academic credit for doing something non-academic. I wonder what proportion of these students were on athletic scholarships? How representative were they of the general student population?

It wasn't clear whether they excluded gay men from the sample (in which case given that gay men exist and presumably pose a low threat to women-it is a case of excluding candidates who don't produce the "right" answer) or whether they didn't find a gay man out of the 86 students in which I would again question the representativeness of the sample.

Likewise none of the men were virgins. Were they excluded? I don't know whether men whose first sexual experience is later are more or less likely to rape but again it looks like picking your sample to suit the conclusion you want. If they weren't excluded, again how likely is it that out of 86 averaging an age of 21 one would not find one virgin?

Frankly, I don't think this study should have got past peer review.

ReputationRep:
    You may be in for a shock.

'steal', perhaps. But I feel confident that it isn't, or isn't solely, the law that is keeping me or most from raping and murdering. Never felt tempted.

ReputationRep:

Law abhors a vacuum. If there is no law, the strong man with a wife and cow will pretty soon create law.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.