Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Green Party has more members than UKIP. Watch

• Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I've learned the hard way that there is no point in trying to have a rational conversation with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    I lazily refereed to it as the UK to distinguish it from the German one. Our one is standing for election for the UK government though. Which is what I meant.

I was wrong. I note you complexity ignored my other point about neoliberal economic incompetence.
    Sinn Fein, Ulster unionist party, DUP, Plaid Cymru, the snp are all standing for the UK government, but they're all regional parties.

ReputationRep:
    I joined a while ago. If anything just to add another number and to give them a bit of money. Apparently membership spiked after OFCOM made that ruling.

Being a member of a party does make me feel a bit dirty though. I don't like everything about them and I don't want to feel compromised in my ability to critise them.

Just to be pessimistic this probably wont translate to Green getting more votes than UKIP. I suspect Green voters or the sort who like their polices are probably more engaged in politics in a way that they would join a party. I suspect a lot of UKIP voters don't really look at the details other than they want out of EU, don't like immigration and like the Farage brand.
    I just signed up. If it helps them at all that's £10.50 well spent. I will be voting for Caroline Lucas in the election so hopefully she'll get in again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    It's a regional political party that doesn't represent all of the UK.
    By that logic, Labour and the Lib Dems are regional parties that don't represent the whole UK either, as neither organise in Northern Ireland (the Tories do have an NI branch, though it does next to nothing). Similarly, we'd have to say that the CDU in Germany are a regional party, as they don't run in Bavaria.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    I just signed up. If it helps them at all that's £10.50 well spent. I will be voting for Caroline Lucas in the election so hopefully she'll get in again.
    I wish I could vote for her

Also yay! All time I waste on internet forums actually resulted in someone joining the Green party :five:

(Original post by anarchism101)
    By that logic, Labour and the Lib Dems are regional parties that don't represent the whole UK either, as neither organise in Northern Ireland (the Tories do have an NI branch, though it does next to nothing). Similarly, we'd have to say that the CDU in Germany are a regional party, as they don't run in Bavaria.
    So I'm not an idiot?

ReputationRep:
    The green party 's still a regional party.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I could vote for her

Also yay! All time I waste on internet forums actually resulted in someone joining the Green party :five:

So I'm not an idiot?
    I still can't believe she's my MP. And I was gonna sign up anyway since my facebook feed is full of posts about how many members they have.

ReputationRep:
    The green party 's still a regional party.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    Why?
    Because there's a different Green Party for scotland and Northern Ireland.

ReputationRep:
    Let's hope they don't become too powerful and screw over the economy like they've done in Germany.
    Yes, Germany really is on it's knees. And the 'Pfand' policy whereby you get money back if you return plastic and glass bottles? Horrendous. Don't get me started on the punctual public transport either.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why?
    Because Scots like to have their own version of everything. There is a Scottish Cancer Research UK as one especially odd example.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    :confused: The same is true for Labour and the Conservatives, so they must ALL be regional parties.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Midlander)
    Yes, Germany really is on it's knees. And the 'Pfand' policy whereby you get money back if you return plastic and glass bottles? Horrendous. Don't get me started on the punctual public transport either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol why on earth would you want to vote for something that actually works when there are plenty of other more exciting parties out there that are guaranteed to screw you over?

ReputationRep:
    Are the Lib Dems and Labour regional parties as well then, as neither organise in Northern Ireland?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    :confused: The same is true for Labour and the Conservatives, so they must ALL be regional parties.
    Alas not. The Labour Party, has regional offices, but it is a national UK wide party. As such, in any debate relating to the UK general election it covers the whole of the UK. The same with lib dems, the conservatives and ukip.

ReputationRep:
    Are the Lib Dems and Labour regional parties as well then, as neither organise in Northern Ireland?
    I think you may want to do a little research on that one. Not having a foot print in an area, doesn't mean they won't operate in that area.

Tell me. Who's the leader of the Green Party in England and wales?

Who's the leader of the Green Party in Scotland?

Who's the leader of the Green Party in Northern ireland?

As we can see there's three heads of 'the Green Party.' Who would be the leader of the Green Party in the House of Commons if they got more than one MP voted in?

ReputationRep:
    Excellent. While I don't agree with all of their policies, they certainly shift the debate and, if I were Cameron, I'd think again about wanting the Greens in the debates - they'll show that the current economic consensus between, in particular, the Conservatives, UKIP and the Liberal Democrats, is utterly fallacious.

The more members a leftwing party has over a rightwing party, the better.

That is made easier when the media plasters you all over the place.

Your point about registered voters I kind of already made. You can look at that in two ways though. Most voters don't join the party they vote for, true. Green voters are less in number but more likely to join the party they vote for for whatever reason. Or Green voters are so high in number that the small percentage of voters that will join the party has increased that over the small percentage of UKIP voters who join the party.

Democracy functions better when you have alternatives. It forces leaders to justify their views and policies. Suppressing an alternative is bad for democracy. I don't like UKIP. But I agree they should be able to have a say. UKIP are also insignificant in similar way Green are. They either both get on or neither do.
    The thing with the Greens are they aren't going to really do anything that they haven't done before. They're nothing special and they're nothing different than before. The broadcasters are going on who they think are going to have a major impact on the election.

As it stands, the Greens are going to get one seat, or two at the most. No problem. Big deal. Who cares?

UKIP, on the other hand, nobody is quite sure. They're widely expected to fight the Lib Dems to a close third place victory. That makes them significant when it comes to defining the next government. UKIP also have quite significant support across the whole country, which the Greens don't have. If the polls are to be believed, if we didn't have FPTP and had PR instead we could quite easily see UKIP in a coalition government. That's how significant they are at the moment.

We also have to remember these TV debates are going to a national audience. There's no real national interest in the Greens. UKIP, on the other hand, have some level of support in both Labour and Tory areas.

And to cap it off we have to take recent election performance into account. UKIP have come 2nd a number of times now, and in some cases a very close second. The Greens...well they do exactly how they always have done.

These are just some of the many reasons why the Greens have no place at these debates, and the fact that the Greens have managed to get a few more paid members means nothing. They can have as many as they like, but it's not as if it translates to any further seats gained.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    The thing with the Greens are they aren't going to really do anything that they haven't done before. They're nothing special and they're nothing different than before. The broadcasters are going on who they think are going to have a major impact on the election.

That shouldn't be the job of a news media to decide. UKIP are also friendly to lots of powerful vested interests. You can easily become cynical as to why they are given so much air time. Which is one of the reasons that helps them grow.

If UKIP were experiences the same exponential growth Green are experiencing you would be singing a different tune.

Also you own logic of most voters don't join the party they vote for suggest Green now have more voters. Say 10% of voters join their party. This assumes there is a direct correlation between members and voters so Green have more voters.

ReputationRep:
    More than the Lib Dems now...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.