Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrJAKEE)
    I was thinking about this a couple of days ago and am very curious as to what response people will give.

Life how I see it is all about fulfilment. Whenever you fulfil one of your goals you feel a sense of joy, relative to each individual person. However some of us set our sights too high, (ie instead of getting an A getting a C grade) and so become less happy than others (or in many cases get depressed).
    While I'd say most are happy with living I'd say a big minority would say they are currently unhappy with life or have been for an extensive amount of time. I know several people who just feel they are slaves in the giant economic machine. No matter how hard these people try they are stick in the same cycle of depression + depression = more depression. This doesn't occur just occur economically but to those who essentially don't get what they want.

Why do these people live? I know this a big question but is there some sort of survival instinct within us to carry on, no matter what happens? Are we too afraid of killing ourselves? Why should we live?
    I'm asking about the select few "warriors" in society who carry own with living despite having a bad life, and no matter how hard they try never fulfil their goals.

I also don't believe in this argument that we should live because it'd make others unhappy. We should be living because we are happy ourselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    People have instincts to not die. Blame evolution for that.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I think there's no inherent point in living - that's to say, if the universe were empty, there'd be no point living in that universe. I think that way because if you existed solely to benefit yourself, you may as well quit, remove all need for benefits and save yourself the trouble. But, the presence of people who exist independently of whether you continue to exist, means there is a point in benefiting them (and benefiting yourself to the extent that it helps you benefit them). That's more-or-less a summary of what I think.

ReputationRep:
    There's pretty much no point lol. But I don't feel there *needs* to be one here. I am just here to try and have fun.

ReputationRep:
    Well, considering that the alternative is even more pointless... there you have it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrJAKEE)
    I was thinking about this a couple of days ago and am very curious as to what response people will give.

Life how I see it is all about fulfilment. Whenever you fulfil one of your goals you feel a sense of joy, relative to each individual person. However some of us set our sights too high, (ie instead of getting an A getting a C grade) and so become less happy than others (or in many cases get depressed).
    While I'd say most are happy with living I'd say a big minority would say they are currently unhappy with life or have been for an extensive amount of time. I know several people who just feel they are slaves in the giant economic machine. No matter how hard these people try they are stick in the same cycle of depression + depression = more depression. This doesn't occur just occur economically but to those who essentially don't get what they want.

Why do these people live? I know this a big question but is there some sort of survival instinct within us to carry on, no matter what happens? Are we too afraid of killing ourselves? Why should we live?
    I'm asking about the select few "warriors" in society who carry own with living despite having a bad life, and no matter how hard they try never fulfil their goals.

I also don't believe in this argument that we should live because it'd make others unhappy. We should be living because we are happy ourselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I believe in idealism, determinism and kinda Freudian, that life is an idea created in the brain, and that the meaning of life is whatever your unconscious decides it is based on genetics and environment impacts throughout life. We can simplify the brain into rational sections and emotional sections. So in the case of depression the emotional centre of the brain, not the rational, can interfere with that and that is why illnesses like depression happen. Your rational unconscious battles to carry out the meaning of life but - because all messages in the brain have to go through the emotional centre FIRST before they get to the rational areas - your rational side can get interrupted, even completed blocked, by the emotional centres (maybe in the case of suicide). So your unconscious battles with the emotional centre for power.

Thus depression must be treated to 'fulfill' the unconscious desire to live.

ReputationRep:
    God created human to live in this world is not only to worship " GOD ".
    Big question ; "do you believe god " or " do you have god ".

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Watch humans as the wretched animals that they are, in the godless universe they inhabit. Humour is our best endowment against the absurdity

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.