Turn on thread page Beta

Is there any point in living? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrJAKEE)
    I was thinking about this a couple of days ago and am very curious as to what response people will give.

Life how I see it is all about fulfilment. Whenever you fulfil one of your goals you feel a sense of joy, relative to each individual person. However some of us set our sights too high, (ie instead of getting an A getting a C grade) and so become less happy than others (or in many cases get depressed).
    While I'd say most are happy with living I'd say a big minority would say they are currently unhappy with life or have been for an extensive amount of time. I know several people who just feel they are slaves in the giant economic machine. No matter how hard these people try they are stick in the same cycle of depression + depression = more depression. This doesn't occur just occur economically but to those who essentially don't get what they want.

Why do these people live? I know this a big question but is there some sort of survival instinct within us to carry on, no matter what happens? Are we too afraid of killing ourselves? Why should we live?
    I'm asking about the select few "warriors" in society who carry own with living despite having a bad life, and no matter how hard they try never fulfil their goals.

I also don't believe in this argument that we should live because it'd make others unhappy. We should be living because we are happy ourselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    People have instincts to not die. Blame evolution for that.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I think there's no inherent point in living - that's to say, if the universe were empty, there'd be no point living in that universe. I think that way because if you existed solely to benefit yourself, you may as well quit, remove all need for benefits and save yourself the trouble. But, the presence of people who exist independently of whether you continue to exist, means there is a point in benefiting them (and benefiting yourself to the extent that it helps you benefit them). That's more-or-less a summary of what I think.

ReputationRep:
    There's pretty much no point lol. But I don't feel there *needs* to be one here. I am just here to try and have fun.

ReputationRep:
    Well, considering that the alternative is even more pointless... there you have it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrJAKEE)
    I was thinking about this a couple of days ago and am very curious as to what response people will give.

Life how I see it is all about fulfilment. Whenever you fulfil one of your goals you feel a sense of joy, relative to each individual person. However some of us set our sights too high, (ie instead of getting an A getting a C grade) and so become less happy than others (or in many cases get depressed).
    While I'd say most are happy with living I'd say a big minority would say they are currently unhappy with life or have been for an extensive amount of time. I know several people who just feel they are slaves in the giant economic machine. No matter how hard these people try they are stick in the same cycle of depression + depression = more depression. This doesn't occur just occur economically but to those who essentially don't get what they want.

Why do these people live? I know this a big question but is there some sort of survival instinct within us to carry on, no matter what happens? Are we too afraid of killing ourselves? Why should we live?
    I'm asking about the select few "warriors" in society who carry own with living despite having a bad life, and no matter how hard they try never fulfil their goals.

I also don't believe in this argument that we should live because it'd make others unhappy. We should be living because we are happy ourselves.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I believe in idealism, determinism and kinda Freudian, that life is an idea created in the brain, and that the meaning of life is whatever your unconscious decides it is based on genetics and environment impacts throughout life. We can simplify the brain into rational sections and emotional sections. So in the case of depression the emotional centre of the brain, not the rational, can interfere with that and that is why illnesses like depression happen. Your rational unconscious battles to carry out the meaning of life but - because all messages in the brain have to go through the emotional centre FIRST before they get to the rational areas - your rational side can get interrupted, even completed blocked, by the emotional centres (maybe in the case of suicide). So your unconscious battles with the emotional centre for power.

Thus depression must be treated to 'fulfill' the unconscious desire to live.

ReputationRep:
    God created human to live in this world is not only to worship " GOD ".
    Big question ; "do you believe god " or " do you have god ".

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Watch humans as the wretched animals that they are, in the godless universe they inhabit. Humour is our best endowment against the absurdity

ReputationRep:
    I hated my lfie, wasn't suicidal (yes I have thought about how death would feel, or if there's an afterlife. I am a spiritual believer so these questions pop up for me a lot in a different mannorism obviously.
    I have had a shocking life start, I'll spare the details but I do absolutely 100% understand the (warrior no matter what) like despite how broken someone is deep in their heart and soul they jsut won't budge even if they take a destructive lifestyle of drugs, addiction or neither just become incredibly ill and drag themselves out of bed it's like they're immortal, like they've faced every single hurt in life there's no possible way to shock them or hurt them anymore (they have become immune to life and its cruelty, its evil ways and are grounded so strongly they cannot be phased anymore (they jsut repsond to emotions like any other person would the only difference is they do not crumble under the pressure anymore. It is simple these people are strong, they learnt at a young age, they have been and seen it all through it all, shokc tactics are a thing of the past you would be wasting your time torturing them because they already live in a world of hell and guess what escpaed it too (the warrior realises if he can look Satin himself in the eye and still escape to be able to send this message) then what in gods carnation can anyone else possibly do? Nothing. I kind of love life if i'm honest, science fascinates me, geography, I love art and design especially urban design, I love nature and birds. Head boping away drukenly to my trance and dubstep music whislt building a city metropolis is my endorphin rush. And I have children daughters and have to ask myself is my past really that bad and impossible to defeat that i'd give it all up throw in the white towel and leave my own kids never knowing their dad? No it isn't. The reasons to lvie overthrow the reasons not too and coming into my 30s now lifes not perfect, nor is it a game. It is very real and though I do not believe we have a purpose per say at the current time if living excpet to reproduce there's a flip side (a good one too) Everytime I inspire someone to change their ways, or save someones life literally or everytime if the time ever comes to even intervine to stop another making a terible mistkae i'm in that moment making my own purpose. Because what if they become a world innovator, a scientist, a paramedic what if they bring joy and greatness into this world so in 100 years to come they made a contribution so big and awarding it lives on and the childen of tomorrow will hear of thier name. (hypothetically speaking) the last person I helped is flying by in life now and that is kind of my point (I didn't get a limo ride, 5* mansion or a winning lottery ticket. But what I did get was the answer to a question I have painfully needed answering. Am I a good person past it all? Yes I think is the short answer. See in helping that person their now on the route to helping countless other people. All it takes is one strong willed mind to change a life, and then that person changes anothers, then they do the same and it the chain of goodness goes on I think if there's no purpose to life and even if it is miserable (I have serious anxiety on and off) that regardless of how bad I feel I don't have to ruin everyone elses lives either because maybe I can stop them going throuhg what I did if only someone ahd have snapped me into relaity sooner. Scars heal, but warriors heal scars.

ReputationRep:
    "Is there any point in living?"

This is a worthy and intelligent question. We should never fear asking it.

My counsel would be to give time it's chance to teach us.

Consider a new born baby.

All it knows is a world of new sensations. Light, heat, cold, sound, vision. It's world is one of constant need, of nurture, or warmth and the comfort of parents and of food and drink.

Is it worth that new born living?

As adults we would say yes. Because we know that the child has more to experience.

Consider the young teenager. Fuelled with chemical changes, emotions running wild. Having spats with parents, wanting to push the boundaries imposed on it. Feeling constrained yet still not yet knowing the value of things, where money comes from, what sacrifices have to be made and so on.

Is it worth that teenager living?

As adults we would say yes because we know that the teenager has more to experience and will in time grow and change. Their perspectives will change as they come to learn more about life. They will experience relationships, love, loss, sex, breaking up.

What we should surely learn from all of this is that humans grow in stages and at each stage we think we have it sussed, we think we know the score, and we judge life on that stage of it that we find ourselves in.

As adults we look back and understand how we felt as babies, as kids, as teenagers, as young adults. And still we think that now we have it sussed. We think we'll get sick, and eventually die and that's that.

Have we learned nothing throughout these iterations??

We have to approach life as little children for that is surely what we are. I have no doubts at all that life will go on and on beyond what we think of as "death" which I suspect is nothing more than just the next change.

So, yes, there is a point living, to keep learning, keep experiencing, keep growing and maturing. I accept and understand now that I am still a child and will experience some great things in the future that currently I can not conceive. Just as the young child has no idea of the joys of sex and love.

Everything we are currently experiencing will pass, in time. Just as childhood illnesses, angst, fears all passed.

Stay humble. Understand who and what you are. Keep learning, experiencing, waiting . . .

TEMET NOSCE

ReputationRep:
    "If life throws lemons at you, make lemonade". In other words, it's up to you to make the best of whatever ya got or get in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JDieMstr)
    "If life throws lemons at you, make lemonade". In other words, it's up to you to make the best of whatever ya got or get in the future.
    The problem is that people have these stupid prejudices. And it's not the stereotyped as 'stupid' people (white, working class males or even middle class males who don't 'look' a certain way) who exclusively have them - it's everyone.

When some of the people in the best universities look down their noses (or, worse, don't even pay attention to it at all, still imagining themselves to be particularly clever) at genius pop/rock or genius videogames then society is in trouble as society is formed by its culture, particularly its current culture.

So if everyone's regarding making lemonade as passe, a sign of hopeless lowness in a adult, then in this this superficially petty society, people won't even make lemonade if they think that, by being momentarily poorer, some rich person might think them to be of a higher status than they really are and take care of them.

No rich person, no matter what their class, should touch most petty, deceitful, irreverent, middle class people with a barge-pole.

ReputationRep:
    yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JDieMstr)
    But what if life throws onions at you? Onionade is horrible.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.