Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm Turkish. Ask me anything. watch

ReputationRep:
    How is homosexuality treated in Turkey, is it very taboo that nobody actually talks about it, or do people talk about it yet very negatively (kind of like conservatives in the US)?

ReputationRep:
    It is a weird thing in Turkey. However, we have many famous people who are homosexual. For example, some people claim that the most popular musician, Tarkan, is gay. We saw his naked pictures with his male friends. However, he is still popular.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you believe the armenian genocide took place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gsaray1905)
    Turkey is a Muslim country but it is different from others because of World War 1. Since we lost the war, we had to fight again and the commander who managed the army was Mustafa Kemal Ataturk. He made the new republic a secular country. We became member of UN first. After 1950, we became a member of NATO and began to membership process for EU.
    There are many different views in our country too. There are fanatic Muslims, Christians, Jews etc.. We have some problems about religion's place in the society and we are suffering from terror too. Somehow we are accustomed to live together. There have been the same government since 2002. They are Neo-Ottomanist and Conservative. Even if their government is not good enough for a secular state, we are still a republic.
    You can ask me everything about Turkey.
    Not only about politics...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What's the best brand of raki? How much raki do you recommend drinking per day? A bottle? Two perhaps?

What do you think about this fine gentleman?

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Because It was a war time and Armenians were our biggest friends at those times. We were fighting in different places, I do not think that we could afford finding enough men and guns to do a massacre. Turkish History documents are open for everybody. Armenians died because we forced them to immigrate to another place. Our soldiers even took care of foreign soldiers in Gallipoli. How could they kill Armenians all together?
    Armenia is the first country who recognized Turkish republic as a free state. If we are Hitler or something, why did they do that? Have you heard about Hodjali before? Why do not Armenians say a word about that massacre? They founded Asala terrorist group, killed our diplomats. Did Jews do the same thing to Germans? What kind of a massacre was that? Armenians rebelled against us because they wanted to be free. Then They wanted to have larger borders and thats why they say we murdered them all. I like Armenians, we have Armenian people living there. the problem is between politicians. People love each other.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Schmekel: I love Ataturk. He is the head of Renaissance in Muslim world.
    "Yeni Raki" is the best. But do not drink a bottle per day. It is too much. Two or three glasses are OK. If you want a harder brand (makes you more high) buy "Altinbas"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Drink it with a some kind of meat. Preferrably: Fish.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you listen to Turkish music? If you do what is the best song to listen to?

ReputationRep:
    Tarkan is the best pop singer in Turkey. If you want to have a taste in real Turkish culture, try to listen Asik Veysel and Muzeyyen Senar. Baris Manco is also a good to listen. He has songs in different languages.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for answering my question

Are you a student- if so, what are you studying and where?
    Where in Turkey are you from?

ReputationRep:
    Why are you Turkish? Why did you parents choose to have you in Turkey?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gsaray1905)
    Turkey is a Muslim country but it is different from others because of World War 1. Since we lost the war, we had to fight again and the commander who managed the army was Mustafa Kemal Ataturk. He made the new republic a secular country. We became member of UN first. After 1950, we became a member of NATO and began to membership process for EU.
    There are many different views in our country too. There are fanatic Muslims, Christians, Jews etc.. We have some problems about religion's place in the society and we are suffering from terror too. Somehow we are accustomed to live together. There have been the same government since 2002. They are Neo-Ottomanist and Conservative. Even if their government is not good enough for a secular state, we are still a republic.
    You can ask me everything about Turkey.
    Not only about politics...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you proud of the ottomon empire? It makes me want to be turkish.

ReputationRep:
    How many houris in your harem ?

ReputationRep:
    Will ya make me a Döner yet?

ReputationRep:
    Do you watch turkish soaps?

ReputationRep:
    Hi daisy, I am 21. I am a senior student at Bilkent University. I study English Literature. I am planning to do MA in UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Afghan Warrior: My fathers came from Kosovo. They came to Turkey because of world war 1. Turkishness is something cultural. I was born and live here and it makes me Turkish.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    James: I am partly proud of it. I think Ottoman had three great kings. Fatih, Kanuni and Beyazid. After Them, it began to lose power. I am proud of these kings. I am also proud of being part of the new republic. Ottoman was not fully Turkish. It was more based on Islam religion

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sen seviyorum Turkey. Do you like lahmacun and have you ever tried making it yourself?

ReputationRep:
    Titanic, If you are in UK, I can buy doner for you when I come.
    Bear: I wish I could have a harem, but I do not ))

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.