Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Banding to be removed for doctors? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    it's not at 'any' company

where shift premiums exist in industry they can be as low as 10 % ...
    Whilst perhaps stating the obvious, 'can' and 'should' are not one and the same. I certainly wouldn't wish 10% on my nursing colleagues.

And whether x1.1 or x3, this premium still covers evenings and weekends (barring another lowest common denominator example). I don't think that's unreasonable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blatant Troll)
    Whilst perhaps stating the obvious, 'can' and 'should' are not one and the same. I certainly wouldn't wish 10% on my nursing colleagues.

And whether x1.1 or x3, this premium still covers evenings and weekends (barring another lowest common denominator example). I don't think that's unreasonable.
    and flat rates wages are common in the private sector of Healthcare ... in part due to the reluctance of councils to pay a realistic going rate for their part of care home fees...

a lot of nursing homes rely on 'private' clients and the NHS funded nursing care payments if they aren't lucky enough to have any intermediate care / health funded rehab beds ...

the cost per place of a nursing home bed is often 600 -800 gbp / week ,, a state funded resident atttracts at best 500 gbp / week 110 of whichcomes from the NHS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    and flat rates wages are common in the private sector of Healthcare ... in part due to the reluctance of councils to pay a realistic going rate for their part of care home fees...

a lot of nursing homes rely on 'private' clients and the NHS funded nursing care payments if they aren't lucky enough to have any intermediate care / health funded rehab beds ...

the cost per place of a nursing home bed is often 600 -800 gbp / week ,, a state funded resident atttracts at best 500 gbp / week 110 of whichcomes from the NHS
    My reply was a polite plea not to derail another thread. I happen to think the forum benefits greatly from having people with your wealth of experience. But the meaning of 'forum' becomes moot when every metaphorical "banding for doctors: yay or nay?" is answered definitively with a "this is the cost of a state funded resident in a nursing home bed".

That flat rate wages exist in healthcare is clearly unacceptable. However, if you're suggesting that the poor terms of some justify the poor terms of others, then I'll have to bow out of that zero sum game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blatant Troll)

That flat rate wages exist in healthcare is clearly unacceptable. However, if you're suggesting that the poor terms of some justify the poor terms of others, then I'll have to bow out of that zero sum game.
    it just reflects the closed minded attitudes of the unions and the left toward towards industrial relations etc, the attiude ofthe TUC unions is ' i'm all right jack ' - which is closer to that of the kippers and other such borderline sociopaths ...

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes I feel doctors are under appreciated:|

ReputationRep:
    They earn a fortune with banding

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ledleyking123)
    Define 'fortune'.

Do you think doctors earn more than they're worth?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    A little tsr stalking tells me you might be a pharmacist... Locum pharmacists can get paid a fortune.

Doctors don't earn a fortune, certainly not if you look at skill level, time invested in training and hours worked. Are you saying doctors don't deserve their pay? You have started a couple of threads about doctors pay, is there any particular reason why you have a fascination with how much they earn?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Who is 'they', specifically?

And what do you consider to be a fortune?

ReputationRep:
    My brother is a doctor

What I'm trying to get at is if you banding almost ALL doctors earn loads.

Plus base salary going up for all is also a lot of money

ReputationRep:
    My brother is a doctor

It doesn't really sound like you were prepared for the thread to go like this.

ReputationRep:
    My brother is a doctor

It won't be the same though, or there would be no point in doing it. And it's definitely not "a fortune."

ReputationRep:
    Doctors earn very poorly for their level of intelligence and education. Could easily get double working in the city.

Anyway the real money is if you supplement your income with locum work. Or totally replace your income with locum work.

For example,

Annual income figures of a fulltime locum working 40 hours a week Monday to Friday:

Average earnings of a Locum SHO = £94k
    Average earnings of a Locum SPR = £125k
    Average earnings of a Locum Con = £175k

Now just think about that for a moment.

My friend at Goldman Sachs currently earns £78k after bonus for working 70 hours a week.

If I wanted to locum as an SHO, for 40 hours work, id earn probably more than £95k.

ReputationRep:
    So why don't you locum then

70hrs?!!

ReputationRep:

70hrs?!!
    Lots of people do.

ReputationRep:

70hrs?!!
    They're non-training posts and life as a locum can be pretty grim given the sporadic and short-notice nature of the work. I don't know how feasible it actually is to piece together a full working week with locum work.

So at what point are you going to enlighten us on your raison d'être? You clearly have some grievance going on.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

70hrs?!!
    Erm... Do you think 70 hours is a lot or not much? That's a pretty standard working week for a lot of doctors.

As has been said - there are very few long term locums so you'll be living day to day working random shifts and you get no career progression. It might be good for a stint as part of a gap year, but after that it would be a terrible life.

ReputationRep:
    Where's my bloody fortune?

I've just worked the weekend (16 hours), am on a night shift tonight, day shifts wednesday, thursday and then on nights this weekend. I don't know how much i'd get as a locum but its closer to a fortune than what I make now.

ReputationRep:
    If banding goes it will have to be replaced by something else. If that something else is inadequate, you are free to practice medicine almost anywhere in the world. It's their move.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    Where's my bloody fortune?

I've just worked the weekend (16 hours), am on a night shift tonight, day shifts wednesday, thursday and then on nights this weekend. I don't know how much i'd get as a locum but its closer to a fortune than what I make now.
    Banding supplement no?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 17, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.