Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la95)
    Thanks for the advice. I have confirmed one of my predictions, and my referee informed me that she put down the correct prediction for that subject, so there are no issues there. In my other subject, however, my lecturer has predicted me an A* - she told me this a little while ago so I will go to double check the prediction on Monday. I'm definitely leaning towards visiting the head of faculty at this stage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sounds like you're going about it the right way (in line with Minerva's great advice of keeping it low-key and keeping the communication going) Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    I'm sorry that your being unwell has got in the way of getting your application completed when you wanted it to be. It's a bit surprising that your referee hadn't already done your reference anyway - most schools and colleges with batches of applicants make sure these all get done long before deadlines come close. It may be that in your case your illness (it's not clear how long this had been an issue) meant that the usual process wasn't followed. Likewise with your predicted grades.

You have the impression, but you don't know for sure that she won't email the unis. I'd suggest, before you escalate it to anyone else (and if you do, I would start with whoever your pastoral tutor is, assuming it's not this person) that you ask her to clarify what she means to do. You can do this in a non-confrontational way by simply talking to her about it. The approach I'd suggest is something along the lines of "I'd understood that Mr/Ms X intended to predict me an A* for subject Y. I am worried that the unis might reject me if that A* prediction isn't on my application." You can then see how she responds, but you should bear in mind the possibility that whatever you understood you were told might have been changed - it happens. Some schools/colleges even refuse to tell anyone what their predictions are (not an approach I support, I hasten to add).

So, I think you should have another go at trying to find out what your referee is or is not willing to do about notifying the unis of a revised prediction for one of your subjects. If she won't budge, and insists that your tutor for this subject has not predicted an A*, I'm afraid there's nothing you can about it. If she does acknowledge that the correct prediction is an A* then she should be willing to email the unis concerned. If she seems reluctant, offer to collate all the uni contacts details for her. She's no doubt very busy, and it's understandable that she would not be altogether keen on the idea of checking your application to find out which five unis you've applied to, and then looking up the contact details for all of them. I do think she might have cut you a bit of slack because of your illness, but in the end you are more likely to get what you want if you are reasonable and do what you can to help. I would only start looking for help from others if she still won't agree to email the unis even though she acknowledges that the prediction is wrong. Even then I would keep it low profile. Avoid backing her into a corner, as this never ends well.

Obviously I don't know which course you've applied for or which unis, but I really would suggest that you try not to worry overmuch about this. If you get an otherwise completely unexpected rejection (remember, it could still happen even with an A* in the mix) you can ask for feedback (some will give this), and whether they'll reconsider if your predictions are updated. Unis can take as many students as they can hold with grades of ABB or better, so unis have more room for maneouvre anyway, and if they particularly like other aspects of your application they can still make you an offer even your predictions do not exactly match their expectations. I also hope that if your illness is or has been affecting your studies that this is covered in your reference, as that is important information for the admissions tutor.

These are not results, they are predictions - quite different, and in any case generally known to be inaccurate a lot of the time. We are not talking about la95 'losing a place', since this is not about whether s/he meets the terms of an offer s/he holds. It would be tough to prove that a university had rejected an applicant entirely on the basis of a predicted grade, and pointless to try. Starting to talk about professional misconduct and formal complaints is escalating the situation out of all proportion.

No sensible lawyer would advise pursuing any kind of case on these grounds, and a story like this would have a news value, even at local level, of approximately zero.

Universities decide for or against individual applicants for all sorts of reasons, of which predicted grades will be a part. They certainly won't be the only reason for success or lack of it in getting an offer. The lifting of student number controls for applicants with ABB or better has made quite a difference, so the impact of being predicted AA rather than A*A is probably marginal, all other things being equal. It's also important to remember that offers =/= places, and even Oxford and Cambridge make more of the former than they have of the latter.
    Thanks for the in-depth response. My mental health has been a problem for a long time. I was also unsure for a while about what course I was going to apply for, so that might be why she hadn't prepared my reference well in advance. Having said that, I told her before Christmas that my application was more or less ready to go but she seems to have started my reference only after receiving my application (though of course I can't be entirely sure of that).

I emailed her to ask her whether she would be prepared to contact the unis with the correct predictions as long as I provided her with the necessary details. She emailed me back stating that she had predicted me AA, that she had been unable to access my predictions from where she was when she wrote the reference, and that there are disadvantages to leaving the application to the last minute. I felt that this was extremely unfair given that I had made it clear that I was struggling with the application due to my mental health. She didn't openly state that she wouldn't send the emails, but her response seems to imply this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jantaculum)
    Sounds like you're going about it the right way (in line with Minerva's great advice of keeping it low-key and keeping the communication going) Good luck
    Just wanted to give you a huge thank you for your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la95)
    Thanks for the in-depth response. My mental health has been a problem for a long time. I was also unsure for a while about what course I was going to apply for, so that might be why she hadn't prepared my reference well in advance. Having said that, I told her before Christmas that my application was more or less ready to go but she seems to have started my reference only after receiving my application (though of course I can't be entirely sure of that).

I emailed her to ask her whether she would be prepared to contact the unis with the correct predictions as long as I provided her with the necessary details. She emailed me back stating that she had predicted me AA, that she had been unable to access my predictions from where she was when she wrote the reference, and that there are disadvantages to leaving the application to the last minute. I felt that this was extremely unfair given that I had made it clear that I was struggling with the application due to my mental health. She didn't openly state that she wouldn't send the emails, but her response seems to imply this.
    The critical thing is that she hasn't actually refused. Can you talk to her face-to-face, or is email the only option?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    The critical thing is that she hasn't actually refused. Can you talk to her face-to-face, or is email the only option?
    I could speak to her face-to-face on Monday, but to be honest I'm quite nervous about it after her response to my email. I'll try to pluck up the courage to speak to her in person.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Your referee seems like a complete **** lol.

You should've watched as it was being sent off.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la95)
    I could speak to her face-to-face on Monday, but to be honest I'm quite nervous about it after her response to my email. I'll try to pluck up the courage to speak to her in person.
    Of course you are nervous about it - but I'd try and put the email out of your mind, and take the line I suggested above - offer to help with collating the contact information, and emphasise that you are worried that your applications may be unsuccessful without the A* grade. Unless she is very unusual, I'd be surprised if she actually wanted you to 'fail', and as long as you don't bully her I'm sure she'll co-operate in the end. The problem with using email is that all the non-verbal communication is lost, and the potential for misunderstanding (on both sides) massively increases, so do try to speak to her personally. Let us know how you get on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CallMeJay)
    Your referee seems like a complete **** lol.

You should've watched as it was being sent off.
    I think if you had read all the posts from la95 more carefully you would realise that this certainly wasn't an option in this case, as it often is not elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la95)
    Just wanted to give you a huge thank you for your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For what it's worth, I deal with lots of complaints about schools - and this is one I've never had to deal with before. This would seem to indicate that either it never happens (which would surprise me!) or that the school has always sorted it out before it reaches my level. So I'm sure that you'll be able to get it altered if necessary

ReputationRep:
    Just to chuck in my two cents, some schools have a policy of not predicting A* on Ucas forms. Universities know this and take the fact into account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la95)
    I emailed my referee to ask her to email the correct predicted grades to the universities but it was implied in her response that she is unwilling to do so. Where do I go from here?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Have you confirmed your predicted grades with your teachers? If so, would they be willing to contact the university on their behalf?

If this isn't possible, I would ask to speak to a more senior teacher, explain what has happened and explain that your referee won't take steps to rectify this, and see what they say.

It may also be worth emailing the universities you have applied to, explaining you think there are errors in your reference and you are discussing this with your school/college.

Have you seen your reference and predicted grades? If not, I really think it would be worth getting this information from UCAS.

ReputationRep:
    DPA allows 40 days for organizations to reply so probably by that time unis might well have replied so isn't suitable. a quick call might be easier than a DPA request

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.