Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maria1812)
    I do not care that a cv will never be great literaterature we do english to learn proper grammar as in school all we do is essays on Shakespeare that is notg reat literature it is a waste of time. I think there should not be so much books on death there should be 1 or 2 with no controversial or sad themes as it is depressing to read scence 2 act 2 the killing of Duncan act 3 scene 3 another killing it is so depressing. Also Shakespeare is not controversial he himslf said that Macbeth is a tale told by an idiot in the play macbeththerefore he is the
    idiot also controversial literature is a literature who talks about politics and itneresting ideologies not killing and becoming king I think it is very clitche as this has been used very often also that most of his plays involve killing is clitche and predictable as if a play starts with a name it is mostly a tragety which is clitche as we know there will be killing and not a good ending. Also his racist remarks is not something that should be tolerated especially in the 21 centuary.
    Now you are trying to dictate what is and what isn't literature. My first point still stands. You are not studying English LITERATURE to learn how to do a CV. Why not do a CV in history, or science? They are all subjects which aren't to do with CV writing. Shakespeare is real literature and that is not an arguing point. You may not like it but it is literature. You study literature to read and analyse literature, not to write a CV.

You clearly have not read much literature and do not see the point of it. Controversial literature isn't just about politics it's about whatever the author wants to write about. If you don't like books with death in them then write your own. Death is a huge part of life and is key to the stories he is trying to tell.

Yes, racism is wrong now but it was very acceptable back in those days. You do not read his work and agree with racism. Nor are you taught to. Are you saying we should ignore the past because it is bad by today's standards?

I'm not even going to comment on the Shakespeare is an idiot comment because...just what? Someone help me out here.

Please please please try to improve your English you are literally making it impossible to understand you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Munrot07)
    Now you are trying to dictate what is and what isn't literature. My first point still stands. You are not studying English LITERATURE to learn how to do a CV. Why not do a CV in history, or science? They are all subjects which aren't to do with CV writing. Shakespeare is real literature and that is not an arguing point. You may not like it but it is literature. You study literature to read and analyse literature, not to write a CV.

You clearly have not read much literature and do not see the point of it. Controversial literature isn't just about politics it's about whatever the author wants to write about. If you don't like books with death in them then write your own. Death is a huge part of life and is key to the stories he is trying to tell.

Yes, racism is wrong now but it was very acceptable back in those days. You do not read his work and agree with racism. Nor are you taught to. Are you saying we should ignore the past because it is bad by today's standards?

I'm not even going to comment on the Shakespeare is an idiot comment because...just what? Someone help me out here.

Please please please try to improve your English you are literally making it impossible to understand you.
    My grammar is the answer why we should not waste time on Shakespeare you said it and othesr said it too then why are you saying I am wrong if my grammar is the evidence why we should not do Shakespeare?

ReputationRep:
    There's plenty of historical literature, poetry, music, etc. that contains content that might be 'offensive' to modern readers, but it must be taken in context and understood for what it meant at the time, which is different from what it means today.

ReputationRep:
    My grammar is the answer why we should not waste time on Shakespeare you said it and othesr said it too then why are you saying I am wrong if my grammar is the evidence why we should not do Shakespeare?
    Your grammar is not evidence at all! As I have said you don't learn about Shakespeare when you are learning how to write English. Are you saying you did Shakespeare in Year 1?

Equally, you are not the majority. The majority can actually write sentence and use grammar so why should everyone stop learning Shakespeare because you can't do grammar?

ReputationRep:
    I think he's **** to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Your grammar is not evidence at all! As I have said you don't learn about Shakespeare when you are learning how to write English. Are you saying you did Shakespeare in Year 1?

Equally, you are not the majority. The majority can actually write sentence and use grammar so why should everyone stop learning Shakespeare because you can't do grammar?
    Because most people I know don't appreciate Shakespeare especially children they should not be forced to learn something they won't appreciate and the whole class is sleeping not learning so why force children learn something they will have no use for and not appreciate if you like his plays then read them in your spare time and not force them down our throats because we won't get a/a* if we won't understand them some appreciate them but to be honest most people don't so why force us to learn them we should learn something people will understand more and is more useful and make people enjoy english because Shakespeare is the reason i hate english it used to be my favourite subject when we learn persuasive writing an cretive writing as it can help us create literature and great literature but shakespeare is what destroys literature

ReputationRep:
    Because most people I know don't appreciate Shakespeare especially children they should not be forced to learn something they won't appreciate and the whole class is sleeping not learning so why force children learn something they will have no use for and not appreciate if you like his plays then read them in your spare time and not force them down our throats because we won't get a/a* if we won't understand them some appreciate them but to be honest most people don't so why force us to learn them we should learn something people will understand more and is more useful and make people enjoy english because Shakespeare is the reason i hate english it used to be my favourite subject when we learn persuasive writing an cretive writing as it can help us create literature and great literature but shakespeare is what destroys literature
    You clearly like english LANGUAGE not english LITERATURE there is a difference. Lots of people don't like lots of subjects, it doesn't mean they should go.

ReputationRep:
    You clearly like english LANGUAGE not english LITERATURE there is a difference. Lots of people don't like lots of subjects, it doesn't mean they should go.
    Many don't appreciate it that's why it should go. Many complain of Dickens but he actually has controversial themes unlike Shakespeare he has a good sotry line and Shakespeare is clitche and has a story line that is predictable for example when hacate appears and tells the witches off then it is already precitable what will happen and this is the reason it is always removed in movies as hacate is telling the ending so the play is very predictable. My point is Shakespeare does not teach how to make good literature due to him being so predictable he is in my opinion not good at creating a strong story line unlike great expectations where there is lots of excitement and things to make the reader want to continue while Shakespeare makes the reader give up reading at the begining while Dickens tries to maintain the readers attention and make the reader read more while Shakespeare does the opposite. As Dickens is controversial and has a trong theme but this can't be said of Shakespeare as he ramble on too much Dickens sometimes rambles on but not to this extent

ReputationRep:
    Many don't appreciate it that's why it should go. Many complain of Dickens but he actually has controversial themes unlike Shakespeare he has a good sotry line and Shakespeare is clitche and has a story line that is predictable for example when hacate appears and tells the witches off then it is already precitable what will happen and this is the reason it is always removed in movies as hacate is telling the ending so the play is very predictable. My point is Shakespeare does not teach how to make good literature due to him being so predictable he is in my opinion not good at creating a strong story line unlike great expectations where there is lots of excitement and things to make the reader want to continue while Shakespeare makes the reader give up reading at the begining while Dickens tries to maintain the readers attention and make the reader read more while Shakespeare does the opposite. As Dickens is controversial and has a trong theme but this can't be said of Shakespeare as he ramble on too much Dickens sometimes rambles on but not to this extent
    You said you didn't like Shakespeare earlier because he was controversial...

You are defining what is and isn't controversial and what is and isn't literature. That's not how literature works.

ReputationRep:
    You said you didn't like Shakespeare earlier because he was controversial...
    I like some controversial plays but his is predictable and the way he is controversial is not controversial enough for me as the actions of Macbeth are explainable and there is not element of surprise or an element which we can relate to.

ReputationRep:
    I like some controversial plays but his is predictable and the way he is controversial is not controversial enough for me as the actions of Macbeth are explainable and there is not element of surprise or an element which we can relate to.
    One thing is though is that Macbeth is much more well known than great expectations. Did you know the story before you studied it? I know I did.

You also need to remember that Shakespeare wrote plays and Dickens wrote novels. They are very different and have very different styles. Remember reading a play and seeing a play are very different as well.

ReputationRep:
    One thing is though is that Macbeth is much more well known than great expectations. Did you know the story before you studied it? I know I did.

You also need to remember that Shakespeare wrote plays and Dickens wrote novels. They are very different and have very different styles. Remember reading a play and seeing a play are very different as well.
    I know it is different but Macbeth is so boring and because of it I hate english as well as Great expectations was a novel that people discouraged me to read but when i started it. It was actually a good novel. Macbeth may be well known but not for the right reasons I really do not understand what is to be liked in Macbeth i am sure if i ask all 1000 stuents at school about it more then 3/4 would hate it.

ReputationRep:
    If you hate Shakeseare, it's because you not able to understand it. Simple as that.

ReputationRep:
    Yes Shakespeare is important in literature but I think he is racist and inappropriate and irrelavant. When I did Macbeth he mentioned some anti-semitic and racist things against russians I think it is inapproriate we are wasting our time doing this we should be taught to write cvs and things that will actually help us sure he is a famous figue and apparently he has clever themes but I learnt nothing from him. In my opinion he should be left to be honest I cannot relate to his plays I cannot even enjoy them because most of his plays are a out killing and dying I mean come on there is so much death in most of his plays not all of them but most especially those studied at school i think they are quite stupid and a waste of time with little morals that we could be taught

Anyone else agrees with me
    What are these wind-blown fancies dredged up from a cheese-hagg'd mind ?
    For all true English men avow the undimm'd glories of the Tudor stage
    Eke the paltry rhymes of the Greenest coxcomb may kindle
    A flame of learning in the lowest schoolboy's breast;
    Forsake the folly of the present age with all its meretricious dross
    Disdain the book of faces ~ for this thou should'st not give a toss
    Feast instead on Marlowe, Jonson, Kyd & Beaumont
    Fletcher, Dekker, euphuistic Lyly
    Methinks i may have missed out one...
    Ah yes the Shake-scene; Stratford's Billy

:yay:

:hat2:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.