Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Lots of children do not shower after school sport, says study watch

ReputationRep:
    Neither my primary nor secondary school had showers so that wasn't even an option.

ReputationRep:
    I never saw the showers at my school used once. They might not have even worked for all I know. Although, we were never told that showering was an option and at that age I don't think you'd just go for it without told.

The only time we did shower was after swimming

Either way, time was so tight between lessons that there just wasn't time to shower even if you wanted to. I would just wait till I got home.

ReputationRep:
    Frankly, with the resources, time constraints and rampant bullying I'm surprised any kids shower at school.

ReputationRep:
    At my sixth form the showers are only ever used to get changed in if you're a bit self conscious, or to store your kit in.

No school children (Apart from the ones with PE before Lunch, Break or After school maybe) have the time to shower, and teachers don't have the ability to reduce lesson time so students have time to shower. They'd have about 20 minutes of lesson time!
    Girls (and some boys!) are less likely to shower because many wouldn't want to go to their next lesson with their hair wet/messy ect...

(Original post by MJ1012)
    Frankly, with the resources, time constraints and rampant bullying I'm surprised any kids shower at school.
    This is also a very valid point - it wouldn't be surprising if bullies took pictures of other kids to humiliate them/stole their clothes/attacked them.

ReputationRep:
    We had shower cubicles and they did work, but they were never used. Firstly, about 5 cubicles between 50 girls is never going to work, and secondly there just wasn't any time! Our PE lessons were an hour long, and once you take out ten minutes either end for lesson changing and getting dressed, showering would only serve to further take time out of the class.

I wouldn't say that made people not want to do PE. For me it made no difference - I just had a shower that night, and everyone just dealt with it. It wouldn't stop kids exercising, just showering because of body image worries etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    We had showers available but the logistics of having enough time to shower and change and get to next lesson on time was not possible.

Deodorants became our showers.

ReputationRep:
    We had showers but we typically finished the lesson 5 minutes before the next one, no time to have a shower and get changed.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody at my school ever showered either. We did have them - although I'm not entirely sure they were connected to a water supply.
    As others have said, we just applied deodorant liberally. I didn't like getting sweaty so made sure not to do too much exercise So yeah, I suppose the study is right. Although I don't think it'll change. As others have said, to allow time for showers, you'd have to either end the lesson really early or accept that nobody would be on time to the next lesson. Plus the issue of bullying / general self-consciousness..

ReputationRep:
    no one at my school had time to shower, PE often finished right before the bell went for next class, especially by the time you put all the equipment away. plus the showers were grotty, I can only imagine the boys' ones were just as bad

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I remember some of the changing rooms having showers, but we NEVER used them. There was never enough time between lessons to shower anyway (as others have said, we were usually let out of PE with 5 mins to spare, if we were lucky), and they were communal showers with no cubicles - and getting naked with the whole class isn't exactly the done thing these days (particularly girls with periods etc.). I'm not even entirely sure the showers worked anyway - they looked pretty ancient and rusty.

We did use the couple of showers provided after swimming though - but only very quickly, you had to walk through the shower bit to get into the changing room anyway so everyone had a superquick rinse as they walked though. But then, I guess we were all in our swimming costumes and had towels etc. so it wasn't so bad.

ReputationRep:
    There were showers at our school, but only people who did strength & conditioning before school started were allowed to use them (and I still dreaded them the three years I played netball!).

You weren't allowed to use them after P.E or Games- each lesson at my school was 35 minutes long so if you spent 20 minutes showering and changing after the lesson the teacher in the next class would get so cross

I hate the assumption that teenagers are 'unclean', most of us shower just as much, if not more, than adults!

ReputationRep:
    Well, yeah. No one has time to shower after PE (we didn't anyway) and who wants to use the disgusting school showers anyway? Deodorant did the trick. I was bad at PE so didn't get sweaty anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJ1012)
    This and I'd :hide: if we needed to shower there.

ReputationRep:
    Only time we ever showered after PE was when we did swimming at the local baths in Year 7. We were always late after PE to other lessons anyway, showering would have been unthinkable. I think there were showers but they'd never been used.

ReputationRep:
    everyone is too immature it kind of becomes like oh you are gay you looked at me and it's kind of awkward

ReputationRep:
    In primary school, not only did we not have showers, but we also used to leave our kit bags at school all half-term, so that's six weeks of wearing the same clothes twice a week, getting all hot and sweaty, and never cleaning them! Although I suppose you don't sweat as much before puberty.

In high school, in Y7, we were told we had to take a towel and shower after each PE lesson, so we started doing that, but soon enough we realised that we didn't have enough time to get to next lesson, because the teacher would only tell us to go in off the field when the lesson ended. So we were constantly in trouble for being late, when it genuinely wasn't our fault.. but certainly we had no time for a shower. The only exception would be if we'd been doing rugby and we were really muddy. Then I'd go under the water and have a quick wash, but not a full shower until I got home later in the day.

ReputationRep:
    Getting my schlong out in a changing room with 30 or so idiotic clowns was not happening.

ReputationRep:
    No one showers at my school; except that one big black guy with a huge ****.

ReputationRep:
    I guess my class was lucky. Our PE session was the last class of the day, so we got home and showered

ReputationRep:
    We had showers in our changing rooms but hardly anyone used them; one girl in my year used one once in year 9 and got stick for doing so. Most girls including myself used to use baby wipes on our feet and underarms then put on deodorant.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• create my feed
  • edit my feed
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.