The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Why do Imperial College not interview Life Science applicants?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by faezhafez
Hi, I am currently in my final year of Biochemistry at Imperial College London. As far as I know, the students that got admitted usually have at least one A* and 2As for their A-level. Additionally they also have work experience. They particular pay attention to your predicted grades and your references, I think. Hope this helps!

Do they take into account school performance compared to what you achieve? Whether anybody in family went to university?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by Raymat
1) How hard is Biochemistry?
2) Do you find the course interesting?
3) How does it compare to Biotechnology?
4) What are the job prospects for a Life Sciences degree from Imperial? Where can it lead me to?
5) Are you guaranteed a job after graduation?

1) It is quite tough, the first year was fine but the jump between the first year and 2nd year is huge! Dont get me started with the final year, it is the most intense but I enjoyed it the most as you get to choose which module you are interested in but the amount of work is unbelievable. Forget weekends, your life is the library.

2) Yes absolutely love the course!

3) Biotech and Biochem do the same module for the first two years. Only the third year where you have to take biotech modules to graduate with a degree in Biotech. I'm a biochemist, but the modules I took for the final year is more biotech but I can graduate as a biochemist.

4) With a Imperial degree, you can go anywhere you want. Some of my friends are working as a consultant at EY, etc. Jobs wise, this should not be a problem. But of course you need to graduate with a good mark. Imperial trains you to be a scientist/engineers/doctors, the people who applied to each of the course wants to be one of these. You wouldnt apply to Imperial if you are interested in finance. Because if you do, I am afraid you will struggle to go through your degree.

5) Its all up to you. How your performance through out the degree and what work experience that you have when you graduate. You decide if you want to have a good job then work hard!
Reply 22
Original post by BIOCH3M
Do they take into account school performance compared to what you achieve? Whether anybody in family went to university?

I think that's the case with any selective university.
Original post by BIOCH3M

Yes. They would into account how you did in school and what have you achieved so far. When I applied, I already had an A* for Maths Alevel. I got my offer from Imperial in December, one of the earliest offer to be given out. So it does make a difference. No I dont think they care if your whole family went to Imperial or whatsoever. I am international student, Im the first one to go to University.
Original post by Azzer11
Ah okay, I guess that's good as it retains a high standard but it also takes off the pressures of interviews. How have you found it at Imperial?

I am absolutely loving it! In fact, the professors there has inspired me to go on and do research. Hopefully this coming October I will be doing my PhD in Cambridge University. Yah dont worry about standard, Imperial is really well known and competition is really fierce. Imagine all the smart students from every school in one class. So you have plenty of competition to motivate you to do your best!
Biology and similar are not as competitive so they let most people apply in.
Reply 26
Original post by Serpentine111
Biology and similar are not as competitive so they let most people apply in.

Are you speaking from experience or observation?
Original post by BIOCH3M
Are you speaking from experience or observation?

Both
Reply 28
Original post by Serpentine111
Both

Apparently 67% of applications to read BioChem at Imperial got an offer last year.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending