Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Favourite Harry Potter Film watch

• View Poll Results: Favourite Harry Potter Film.
    Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (2001)
    13.04%
    Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002)
    21.74%
    Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004)
    17.39%
    Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005)
    13.04%
    Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007)
    17.39%
    Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009)
    4.35%
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (2010)
    4.35%
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (2011)
    8.70%

ReputationRep:
    I want to like Harry Potter, but the inaccuracies of the inner workings of magic spoilt it for me.

ReputationRep:
    The Chamber of Secrets, with Prisoner of Azkaban as a very close second, and Philosopher's Stone in 3rd... after that isn't worth mentioning, too much brilliant stuff from the books was cut or completely changed (every task in the Triwizard tournament for example, the whole Neville thing, and the statues and Firenze in Order of the Phoenix, and in the seventh the talk with the muggle Prime Minister would have been cool, Dumbledore meeting the Dursley's in HBP, also why no Quidditch World Cup Match? Or Winky?) with some truly awful/pointless scenes thrown in for seemingly no reason... (how old is Dumbledore scene, and the burning Burrow scene, I'm looking you). Unfortunately as a series they lack depth, because the deep stuff was cut, such as the dialogue and the entire style of the final showdown between Harry and Voldemort, and the Neville stuff. As well as this the complete style change, in comparison to the first three which were excellent, kind of ruins it just doesn't feel like the corresponding books. As such I tend to avoid the film series, as they just aren't right, the first three when the books were followed and the cuts were inconsequential on the overall series and subplots are how the whole set should have been. Yates is a blight upon the magical world, though unfortunately he was set on the path by Newell, who messed up the fourth film rather significantly and thus the tone and feel of the films were broken, and continued sub par.

You might be able to tell that I love the books maybe a bit too much to look at the HP films objectively.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    In my opinion:

HP3 > HP4 > HP2 > HP7 pt 2 > HP6 > HP 7 pt 1 > HP1 > HP5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob Boris)
    The Chamber of Secrets, with Prisoner of Azkaban as a very close second, and Philosopher's Stone in 3rd... after that isn't worth mentioning, too much brilliant stuff from the books was cut or completely changed (every task in the Triwizard tournament for example, the whole Neville thing, and the statues and Firenze in Order of the Phoenix, and in the seventh the talk with the muggle Prime Minister would have been cool, Dumbledore meeting the Dursley's in HBP, also why no Quidditch World Cup Match? Or Winky?) with some truly awful/pointless scenes thrown in for seemingly no reason... (how old is Dumbledore scene, and the burning Burrow scene, I'm looking you). Unfortunately as a series they lack depth, because the deep stuff was cut, such as the dialogue and the entire style of the final showdown between Harry and Voldemort, and the Neville stuff. As well as this the complete style change, in comparison to the first three which were excellent, kind of ruins it just doesn't feel like the corresponding books. As such I tend to avoid the film series, as they just aren't right, the first three when the books were followed and the cuts were inconsequential on the overall series and subplots are how the whole set should have been. Yates is a blight upon the magical world, though unfortunately he was set on the path by Newell, who messed up the fourth film rather significantly and thus the tone and feel of the films were broken, and continued sub par.

You might be able to tell that I love the books maybe a bit too much to look at the HP films objectively.
    for one, there was a Wizard World Cup match in Goblet of Fire, the Irish against Bulgaria, so that is incorrect. with the films they aren't supposed to be exactly like the books if they were then it would be a very long film and then would complain about the film being too long (Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit, though I still love them ) however I do agree that they did leave some parts out of the book that should have been included e.g. Peeves, but you got to consider the budget they were on, and whether they could hire more actors. Though they are both separate in their own ways, and I enjoy watching and reading them, the films are very similar to the books compared to Percy Jackson, so can't complain that much, look at their fandom! it has been RUINED!!! You need to realise that you can't compare the films to the books, otherwise you'll always be disappointed, I mean, I got disappointed that Uriah wasn't in the Divergent film, though it was still a good film, same with The Mortal Instruments, still a good film on its own, compared to the book then it's terrible. they're all different, and shouldn't be classed as the same. and if you're on Pottermore they add the majority of scenes in the books on Pottermore, so it's not a complete loss, plus it's created by J.K herself

no harsh feelings!! just putting my view across!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayleighGrennan)
    for one, there was a Wizard World Cup match in Goblet of Fire, the Irish against Bulgaria, so that is incorrect. with the films they aren't supposed to be exactly like the books if they were then it would be a very long film and then would complain about the film being too long (Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit, though I still love them ) however I do agree that they did leave some parts out of the book that should have been included e.g. Peeves, but you got to consider the budget they were on, and whether they could hire more actors. Though they are both separate in their own ways, and I enjoy watching and reading them, the films are very similar to the books compared to Percy Jackson, so can't complain that much, look at their fandom! it has been RUINED!!! You need to realise that you can't compare the films to the books, otherwise you'll always be disappointed, I mean, I got disappointed that Uriah wasn't in the Divergent film, though it was still a good film, same with The Mortal Instruments, still a good film on its own, compared to the book then it's terrible. they're all different, and shouldn't be classed as the same. and if you're on Pottermore they add the majority of scenes in the books on Pottermore, so it's not a complete loss, plus it's created by J.K herself

no harsh feelings!! just putting my view across!
    I don't remember them actually showing the game itself, they just cut after Fudge does the speech welcoming everyone, and then skip the actual game itself and everyone loves a good quidditch game, I apologise if I was unclear with what I was getting at, they go, and then don't show the game itself, which is slightly annoying! And yeah, I know they're two different things, but it's interesting that you brought up LotR, which is my favourite film series, and book series. While they are incredibly long (I don't feel they are too long though, as between discs there is time for a toilet break ), they work incredibly well and feel consistent, perhaps its because they have the one director, but in comparison with the books they are incredibly close to par whereas HP after the first three which are great, are way below par. To me the final 5 films just lose the essence of the source somehow, and feel superficial, and I find I can't enjoy them as much as I'd like to. They are entertaining films, but they just lose their heart, and fail to feel as magical as the early ones. For example the hunger games films are a good example of a book to film adaptation which are near perfect, in my opinion, as they don't lose their essential elements, which I feel HP does. You do make some excellent points though, which I do agree with, as separate entities they are good. But it's hard to take them separately, and yes pottermore does rectify a fair amount of the missing stuff. I just wish the HP films were as good adaptations as Hunger Games, or LotR, which are fantastic, and perhaps that's why I don't like them that much, as the aforementioned are proof that book to film adaptations can be done brilliantly and stay faithful to the source! And they were on a way bigger budget than LotR so I don't think the budget came was the cause. Just worse script writing and a few mislead decisions by those in charge. I still saw them (GoF onwards) at the cinemas about 4 times each though... so I'm being a little hypocritical, and to be fair DHp1 and HBP are actually pretty good, and quite close, they just lost the magical and otherworldly undertone that the earlier ones had. I'm not having a dig, just trying to rationalise a little more, why I feel the way I do about them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casiolynn)
    Am I seriously the only one who loves HP6??? It's Snape for Christ's SNakeeeee
    I don't mind it, but I find it the most boring film of the series. I like the last 30mins or so, but I find most of the film a bit of a drag
    Although Jim Broadbent is a nice addition to the film

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayleighGrennan)
    however I do agree that they did leave some parts out of the book that should have been included e.g. Peeves, but you got to consider the budget they were on, and whether they could hire more actors.
    I remember hearing that they did cast Rik Mayall as Peeves and filmed his scenes, but they cut him out of the film I would of loved to have seen him in it!

Here he is talking about it, jump to about 1min in:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    My god Rik Mayall as Peeves would have been perfect. ****. I'm heartbroken he wasn't included.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    My god Rik Mayall as Peeves would have been perfect. ****. I'm heartbroken he wasn't included.
    I can't find the deleted scenes anywhere. I don't think they were ever released
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Suzanne123)
    I can't find the deleted scenes anywhere. I don't think they were ever released
    Such a shame.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Such a shame.
    One picture is all we have...
    Attachment 358951
    RIP Rik Mayall

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.