Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

[QUOTE=DeadEnd_96;53024507]
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It sucks, doesn't it? I get so frustrated at myself sometimes. I'm glad you (and some others) know how I feel.

I'm glad that there are people out there like you, that are feeling the same way. I also am kind of socially awkward so I have trouble making new friends. I started studying at a new Sixth Form College last September. Its been nearly 5 months and I have only made like 3 friends and they don't really talk to me very often. Every break or lunchtime I just sit alone studying in a study room whilst I see everyone else talking, laughing and having a great time. However, I do feel comfortable being alone sometimes, but I am trying to improve my social skills by just forcing myself to talk to people, but it will take some time. Don't worry, I'm sure you will become more confident too.
    I'm in my second year of sixth form and although I have my small group of friends, I don't really speak or hang out with anyone else; maybe just one or two others. I find it hard to start conversations with others because they have their established friendship groups. I just remind myself that I don't have long till I leave school (even sooner til study leave!) and I hope I can do much better at university.

(Original post by Aj_16)
    Hi,
    I believe confidence is all to do with what you think. For example I went to the shard restaurant the other day and felt completely out of place but afterwards I was told to walk like you own the place. I did and subsequently felt okay and felt in place.
    When approaching people you're either going to make friends or not. If you do you have a good chance you will and if you don't you have no chance whatsoever.
    Its all in the mind - be positive, be optimistic!
    That's true, I'll keep that in mind

(Original post by Ankabout)
    SMILE. Say hello to new people everyday. Yes you'd be scared to do it but that is the only way to stop being shy.
    Hard for me to meet new people every day because I'm stuck in a boarding school. Argh.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.