The Student Room Group

The term "young professional"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by effofex
Yes. You might as well just tell people what you do. Also the definition of professional is really vague - the way I understand it you're only a professional if you need a specific certification to do your job (i.e. you absolutely need some form of (inter)nationally recognized licensing or you simply can't practice).

So trainee doctors, lawyers and accountants are most certainly professionals.

Traders, bankers, musicians and chefs are not.

Bankers and traders need to pass certain qualifications to work in thoes industries. CFA is one.
Original post by james1211
Meriam Webster says professional means:
: relating to a job that requires special education, training, or skill
: done or given by a person who works in a particular profession

Working in Tesco's as a cashier requires training...

I think it's unreasonable to say everyone other than top doctors or lawyers need to piss off. My career is building surveying, which requires both a degree and membership of a royal institution. It doesn't pay amazingly well, but i would call it professional yet you would not. Why draw the line so high?

I have no problem with anyone, even if they have a bad job or no job at all, but labeling yourself as a "young professional" unless you have an amazing job, in which case you would actually state what that job is, makes me laugh.
I wouldnt say it was annoying but i would say it is pretentious. Having said that, many of those who flounce around wearing the badge dont even know how ridiculous it sounds.

It is a form of lifestyle,a social marker, which has been created by the media and which some aspire to.

It really is pointless rubbish as the vast majority of the British public are all members of the same slave nation whether they like it or not and using such trivial pretensions in order to separate oneself from the prols is simply delusional.
Reply 23
Original post by yo radical one
Working in Tesco's as a cashier requires training...

I have no problem with anyone, even if they have a bad job or no job at all, but labeling yourself as a "young professional" unless you have an amazing job, in which case you would actually state what that job is, makes me laugh.

Fair enough, that's your opinion. It wreaks of insecurity but that's okay.
Fair enough, that's your opinion. It wreaks of insecurity but that's okay.

No it doesn't. If I was insecure, I would take issue with top doctors, lawyers and bankers rather than irritating try-hards.

Your quoting me, before telling me that despite not earning very much, you still have a degree on the other hand...
Original post by effofex
Yes. You might as well just tell people what you do. Also the definition of professional is really vague - the way I understand it you're only a professional if you need a specific certification to do your job (i.e. you absolutely need some form of (inter)nationally recognized licensing or you simply can't practice).

So trainee doctors, lawyers and accountants are most certainly professionals.

Traders, bankers, musicians and chefs are not.

Don't traders and bankers need certification for what they do?

Lol

Not at all - If you're going to brag about your job, at least say what it is.

If a person is a top doctor or a top lawyer, I think that is extremely admirable, but stereotypical career people who think that 30k a year and a company car makes them the epitome of success, really do need to piss off.

I'd call myself a young professional - it's an accurate label. I wouldn't call myself a lawyer unless someone asked my job.
Original post by TurboCretin

I'd call myself a young professional - it's an accurate label. I wouldn't call myself a lawyer unless someone asked my job.

It is accurate, but to me, it sounds intentionally vague.
I feel you.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Bankers and traders need to pass certain qualifications to work in thoes industries. CFA is one.

You certainly do not need a CFA to become a banker or a trader.

Sure, you need to pass certain exams in order to execute orders on behalf of clients (FCAs) or you may need to pass exchange exams if you're dealing in certain listed securities, but even without these you can still be a trader and simply execute any orders you want through cash or derivatives brokers, or online brokers, if you don't have the appropriate certifications.

Likewise, to work in an advisory capacity in banking does not actually require any certifications.

Traders and bankers are not professionals in the sense that accountants, lawyers or doctors are - in that in order to even practice, you actually HAVE to pass certain exams otherwise you are forbidden from doing so in any environment.
It is accurate, but to me, it sounds intentionally vague.

It is intentionally vague - you sound like a pretentious braggart self-identifying as a lawyer all the time.

Estate agents use the term because it catches a wide variety of people, all of whom are likely to pay rent dependably.

It is a usefully vague term.
Don't traders and bankers need certification for what they do?

No. In certain cases they might, but anyone could become a trader with an internet connection and an online account with a broker.

Likewise, theoretically anyone could start up a banking service (not in the retail sense) advising clients on the positives/negatives of a merger/acquisition/divestiture.

However in order to be a teacher or doctor, you absolutely have to have passed certain exams, otherwise it's illegal to practice whether on behalf of a company, or even working for yourself.
Original post by effofex
No. In certain cases they might, but anyone could become a trader with an internet connection and an online account with a broker.

Likewise, theoretically anyone could start up a banking service (not in the retail sense) advising clients on the positives/negatives of a merger/acquisition/divestiture.

However in order to be a teacher or doctor, you absolutely have to have passed certain exams, otherwise it's illegal to practice whether on behalf of a company, or even working for yourself.

Ah yes, sorry. I was thinking of stockbrokers rather than traders.

You're right that anybody could start up a banking service in theory, although you'd need to apply for authorisation from the FCA for your new firm if you wanted to do much in the way of banking. Apparently, you'd also need to sit the FCA exams if you wanted to work in investment banking yourself. At least that's what JP Morgan seems to think - I don't know about this last part myself.
Ah yes, sorry. I was thinking of stockbrokers rather than traders.

You're right that anybody could start up a banking service in theory, although you'd need to apply for authorisation from the FCA for your new firm if you wanted to do much in the way of banking. Apparently, you'd also need to sit the FCA exams if you wanted to work in investment banking yourself. At least that's what JP Morgan seems to think - I don't know about this last part myself.

They're a doddle compared to any actuarial or medical qualification.
Doesn't it just mean anyone aged 18-30 with a job now, or at least, looking like they have a job? :teehee:
I take two issues with the term. Firstly, "young". How ageist! Whose business is it concerning how old you are? If you're good at your job then you're good at your job, age is of no relevance.
Secondly, "professional". Just state what you do for a living already, a **** covered in sparkles is still a **** and you're not fooling anybody.
I don't think that really counts as being a trader to be honest.

I would only consider someone a trader if they do it professionally. There is a difference between a. Trader and a professional trader.

Professional traders these days are very heavily regulated. I agree, the FCA is a walk in the park.

edit-I was replying to effofex
(edited 9 years ago)
Rory McIlroy is a young professional...

...golfer.
No, you finished Uni, so you're a professional.
Reply 38
What comes into my mind when I think of "young professionals" are slimy pretentious 26-30 year old yuppies in suits bought from Debenhams who work either in the financial, HR or legal professions who go for boring drinks in All Bar One (and other boring bars near financial district) after work. People who talk similarly to the contestants on The Apprentice.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by datpiff
What comes into my mind when I think of "young professionals" are slimy pretentious 26-30 year old yuppies in suits bought from Debenhams who work either in the financial, HR or legal professions who go for boring drinks in All Bar One (and other boring bars near financial district) after work. People who talk similarly to the contestants on The Apprentice.

Eurgh the same people who smoke in cold grey corners and complain about working overtime in order to finance their standard spec German sedan.

Quick Reply

Latest