Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Feminism and men's representation at uninversity Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    You think a men's rights club would have avoided controversy? That's a good one.
    Why, honestly what is wrong with that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicalConch)
    Why, honestly what is wrong with that?
    Nothing's wrong with it, I'm just saying it would be controversial. If a men's rep is such a big deal, can you imagine the stir that would be caused by a group with the explicit mission of advancing men's rights?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    Nothing's wrong with it, I'm just saying it would be controversial. If a men's rep is such a big deal, can you imagine the stir that would be caused by a group with the explicit mission of advancing men's rights?
    But why are women's rights groups uncontroversial and men's rights groups are?

Why is men's rights any different from women's?

I just don't see it.

ReputationRep:
    But why are women's rights groups uncontroversial and men's rights groups are?

Why is men's rights any different from women's?

I just don't see it.
    I'm not arguing with you. I agree. I'm just telling you that it WOULD create controversy.

ReputationRep:
    Massive Kudo's to the OP....

We tried setting one up in staffs uni a few years back...... well guess how that ended

We need more men's rep's at universities.

ReputationRep:
    University of Oxford student union president throwing insults and demeaning the issues of half the population of the world. Well done.

(Original post by The Angry Stoic)
    80% of my time in the role is spent dealing with people with those sorts of idiotic misandrist views.
    Bro keep it up, we need more like you out there.

ReputationRep:
    May I ask how a representative is appointed and how the positions are decided at your university.

Why couldn't you have set up a men's rights club or something along those lines and avoided all the controversy?

P.S I fully support your cause and think a male rep is necessary if a female one exists.

Thanks.
    I was voted into the position by the student body at large. I think setting up a group like that would cause even more controversy.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, wouldn't expect any less from you Stoic

But it is interesting that by and large other demographics are allowed a representative, but having a men's representative is seen as such a controversial thing. I think it ignores many important factors which do effect young men, but which often get overlooked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Angry Stoic)
    I do have to deal with a bit of abuse. Its ok though.
    Don't be so stoic, being nice when fighting for men's rights does NOT work. Well done, you have my support & can contact me.

Look at 1. W Farrell addressing The Boys Crisis in Toronto.

2. M Buchanan's political party which gets his manifesto misrepresented - I argued for its point here & put my TSR comment on TheDeBrief website & they wouldn't publish it. Was able to comment on Buzzfeed, great logical arguments given.

3. Canadian Student Union wants to ban men’s rights groups! SU at Simon Fraser Uni tried to deny the opening of a Men's Centre on campus.

4. The NUS - I have argued before, by debunking how they lie with stats (in one of my posts somewhere!), happy to get more uptodate figures.Motion 803 Opposing men's societies .pdf
    I attach Motion 803 pdf for 2010 & png from http://www.nusconnect.org.uk/pageass...cy-2012-V3.pdf See P25.

NUS shows feminist ideology of Patriachy https://nuswomens.files.wordpress.co...l-relevant.pdf

5. The NUS still objects (rather than, "it is not needed") to a Men's Officer, despite more women at University & British students having their specific problems. Not even Gender Officer is OK at York Uni.

6. Motion to deratify Men’s Issues Student Group at Canada's Queen’s University Fails! - accuse men’s issues club of propagating rape culture & female oppression.

7 Kennesaw State Uni, USA - Zen Men group being attacked.
    Attached Images

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.