Feminism and men's representation at uninversity Watch
- 22-01-2015 22:12
- 22-01-2015 22:50
(Original post by TurboCretin)
- 22-01-2015 23:11
Nothing's wrong with it, I'm just saying it would be controversial. If a men's rep is such a big deal, can you imagine the stir that would be caused by a group with the explicit mission of advancing men's rights?
Why is men's rights any different from women's?
I just don't see it.
- 22-01-2015 23:14
- 23-01-2015 05:37
Massive Kudo's to the OP....
We tried setting one up in staffs uni a few years back...... well guess how that ended
We need more men's rep's at universities.
- 23-01-2015 05:55
University of Oxford student union president throwing insults and demeaning the issues of half the population of the world. Well done.
- Thread Starter
(Original post by TheMagicalConch)
- 24-01-2015 18:33
May I ask how a representative is appointed and how the positions are decided at your university.
Why couldn't you have set up a men's rights club or something along those lines and avoided all the controversy?
P.S I fully support your cause and think a male rep is necessary if a female one exists.
- 24-01-2015 20:46
Haha, wouldn't expect any less from you Stoic
But it is interesting that by and large other demographics are allowed a representative, but having a men's representative is seen as such a controversial thing. I think it ignores many important factors which do effect young men, but which often get overlooked.
- 25-01-2015 07:01
Look at 1. W Farrell addressing The Boys Crisis in Toronto.
2. M Buchanan's political party which gets his manifesto misrepresented - I argued for its point here & put my TSR comment on TheDeBrief website & they wouldn't publish it. Was able to comment on Buzzfeed, great logical arguments given.
3. Canadian Student Union wants to ban men’s rights groups! SU at Simon Fraser Uni tried to deny the opening of a Men's Centre on campus.
4. The NUS - I have argued before, by debunking how they lie with stats (in one of my posts somewhere!), happy to get more uptodate figures.Motion 803 Opposing men's societies .pdf
I attach Motion 803 pdf for 2010 & png from http://www.nusconnect.org.uk/pageass...cy-2012-V3.pdf See P25.
NUS shows feminist ideology of Patriachy https://nuswomens.files.wordpress.co...l-relevant.pdf
5. The NUS still objects (rather than, "it is not needed") to a Men's Officer, despite more women at University & British students having their specific problems. Not even Gender Officer is OK at York Uni.
6. Motion to deratify Men’s Issues Student Group at Canada's Queen’s University Fails! - accuse men’s issues club of propagating rape culture & female oppression.
7 Kennesaw State Uni, USA - Zen Men group being attacked.Last edited by rad_student; 25-01-2015 at 07:09.